Tricked into saying 'doll' in class....

ClareQuilty

The other day I was tricked into saying the English word 'doll' in class, and was met with uproarious laughter, while one humorous rogue attempted to explain by gesturing vaguely at my trousers.

Does 'doll' mean something a bit risque in Thai, Isaan, Kmer, or any other language around Thailand?

Normally this should be in the Thai language section but since the only way to answer it is using Thai the word กระดอ means penis. The last part ดอ sounds like doll. Just put the word penis in Google translate and click on the speaker icon to hear how it sounds. Just a guess though. Now the question is did you try to trick us into saying it? biggrin.png

Likewise when describing animals, don't use a camel's hump as an example, or try to explain about how people can "hum" a tune lol (Although if you're outside of Isaan you might be ok with these).

I'm going to keep this in the teaching section for now, as I think it's relevant to teachers. However I will move it to the Thai language section later today (But will leave a link to it), as I think it will be much more relevant in that section.