Big money bribe

invogue

Its quite simple:

Get the locally required documentation: i.e. Bike / Car Licence.

When the Police guys stop you they don't have a leg to stand on if they are trying it on.

They can take your licence and you may pay a minimal fine at the Police station when you collect your licence the next day.

There is no reason to pay any more than the associated fine.

A Policeman trying to extort you will back down when you don't.

'Some' (not all) of the Police in Thailand are like vultures, its part of the work ethic they have grown up with, they simply see it as supplementing their salary. If you are not an easy push-over they will move on to the next target. However, as soon as they see weakness in you the will attempt to capitalise on this as much as possible.

There is no need to give in, unless of course you know you are in the wrong or are naturally a weak and easily frightened person.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got pulled over one night something about the scooter in the back of the ute.Copper told me you go inside I said no I will stay out here,nothing to do with me.Stayed outside having a smoke with a guy I reckon was they oldest copper in the Thai Police Force.They wanted 30000 baht,she was saying no too much.About 30 minutes later I went in she was getting no where.I told her tell them about Papa.She told them her father was a very high ranking officer in the Thai Army.I told her them to got out and look at the sticker on the car,Thai Army Pass.One goes comes back in they go into a huddle 15000 baht was the price now.I told her now tell them your Father is best friend with boss at Pattaya Police you want to ring your Father to know what to do,he might ring and get the boss out of bed,and he might be angry.5000 baht you go.Gave them 5000 baht I gave the old copper about 10 fags and we went

Really?

Firstly, the OP says he has his own motorbike, which to me suggests he stays in Thailand long term. So why is he driving on an Australian driving license? And why is he renewing or obtaining a copy of the license he alleges he misplaced, in Australia?

The OP says the policeman said; he was going to fingerprint him, take him to immigration and would probably be deported. What, for a minor traffic offence? Immigration would have laughed this clown out of the office. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would fall for that. I think even a naive tourist fresh off the boat would question this.

My questions for the OP:

How long has he and his friend been staying in Thailand?

And if he owns his own motorbike, why does he not have a Thai driving license?

Whereabouts would you find somewhere to sit in a back lane way?

Is there more involved with this, than the OP is letting on? Because this story simply doesn`t make sense.

Him is actually a her

Really?

Firstly, the OP says he has his own motorbike, which to me suggests he stays in Thailand long term. So why is he driving on an Australian driving license? And why is he renewing or obtaining a copy of the license he alleges he misplaced, in Australia?

The OP says the policeman said; he was going to fingerprint him, take him to immigration and would probably be deported. What, for a minor traffic offence? Immigration would have laughed this clown out of the office. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would fall for that. I think even a naive tourist fresh off the boat would question this.

My questions for the OP:

Is there more involved with this, than the OP is letting on? Because this story simply doesn`t make sense.

Him is actually a her

Whatever.

I am waiting for her to respond to all my questions.

jesus, are you people immune to irony?

read some of the responses to danish man robbed in pattaya and see if my post rings any bells.

god save me from the obtuse and literal minded.

perhaps an idiotic smiley would have helped you along

I guess you have to follow the post's and the poster's to get it. I got a great chuckle out of your's.

Really?

My questions for the OP:

Him is actually a her

Whatever.

I am waiting for her to respond to all my questions.

why? you are hardly worth the effort.

• Like 1

Really?

My questions for the OP:

Him is actually a her

We're not dealing with Hercule Poirot here!rolleyes.gif

Either the OP is an aspiring novelist with good skills (aka troll), or she broke a mirror on her arrival in Thailand.

If it's the mirror scenario, then the reason he wanted to meet two young white girls at a hotel was if they hadn't handed over 3000 baht, he would have presented the option working off the debt.

Happens in the States, too.

So I had a somewhat stressful drive home from Lumpini tonight. Being a Friday night there were cops everywhere trying bust people for drink driving and drugs.

First I saw them from 20 metres away and ducked down a side street. 10 minutes down the road there was another cop randomly pulling over bikes and I got flagged down. I took the advise of someone on TV who suggested I speed off. I was almost home when I saw another cop. I braked to a stop 10 metres away from him, he stared right at me as I did a U-turn in the middle of the road whilst I held up several cars who had to stop behind me. I was on Sukhumvit Rd with a concrete fence stopping me from crossing over, so I had to hit the footpath and drive for 50 metres before turning down a soi. I was worried the cop had put a broadcast over the police radio to look out for a falang girl in a cocktail dress and heels, so I drove down every back soi to get home.

It was the point where I nearly got run over when I stopped in the middle of the road and sped along a footpath to get away from the police that I had a moment of realisation. Can't I pay to get a fake licence from somewhere? Please PM me if you might know someone/something.

So I had a somewhat stressful drive home from Lumpini tonight. Being a Friday night there were cops everywhere trying bust people for drink driving and drugs.

First I saw them from 20 metres away and ducked down a side street. 10 minutes down the road there was another cop randomly pulling over bikes and I got flagged down. I took the advise of someone on TV who suggested I speed off. I was almost home when I saw another cop. I braked to a stop 10 metres away from him, he stared right at me as I did a U-turn in the middle of the road whilst I held up several cars who had to stop behind me. I was on Sukhumvit Rd with a concrete fence stopping me from crossing over, so I had to hit the footpath and drive for 50 metres before turning down a soi. I was worried the cop had put a broadcast over the police radio to look out for a falang girl in a cocktail dress and heels, so I drove down every back soi to get home.

It was the point where I nearly got run over when I stopped in the middle of the road and sped along a footpath to get away from the police that I had a moment of realisation. Can't I pay to get a fake licence from somewhere? Please PM me if you might know someone/something.

Sounds like you're more competent on a bike than Eddie Kidd or Valentino Rossi. I reckon there's a good chance you'd pass the bike test.

never carry your passport

This is counter intuitive but it is still very good advice. Carrying a passport only gives another party leverage to use against you. Carry a photocopy of your photo page and visa stamp if you want but personally, I don't even do that.

We got pulled over one night something about the scooter in the back of the ute.Copper told me you go inside I said no I will stay out here,nothing to do with me.Stayed outside having a smoke with a guy I reckon was they oldest copper in the Thai Police Force.They wanted 30000 baht,she was saying no too much.About 30 minutes later I went in she was getting no where.I told her tell them about Papa.She told them her father was a very high ranking officer in the Thai Army.I told her them to got out and look at the sticker on the car,Thai Army Pass.One goes comes back in they go into a huddle 15000 baht was the price now.I told her now tell them your Father is best friend with boss at Pattaya Police you want to ring your Father to know what to do,he might ring and get the boss out of bed,and he might be angry.5000 baht you go.Gave them 5000 baht I gave the old copper about 10 fags and we went

Sounds like you were overcharged about ฿5,000.

Sounds like you're more competent on a bike than Eddie Kidd or Valentino Rossi. I reckon there's a good chance you'd pass the bike test.

I would not be risking my life on the dangerous crazy road conditions here if I wasn't A++ motorbike rider.

This is counter intuitive but it is still very good advice. Carrying a passport only gives another party leverage to use against you. Carry a photocopy of your photo page and visa stamp if you want but personally, I don't even do that.

Yes thanks for good advice

I would not be risking my life on the dangerous crazy road conditions here if I wasn't A++ motorbike rider.

I don't think it's your bike skills here that are relevant. It's your sadly lacking street skills that have elevated the problem to what it is.

If you can't think on your feet what chance do you have on wheels without a licence. ?

Actually its probably more serious to be caught with fake ID than to have no licence?

Take the motorbike test. It involves a moped and some cones.

I don't have the corect visa to. At the moment I just have a visitors visa.

I don't think it's your bike skills here that are relevant. It's your sadly lacking street skills that have elevated the problem to what it is.

If you can't think on your feet what chance do you have on wheels without a licence. ?

That's BS.

Really?Firstly, the OP says he has his own motorbike, which to me suggests he stays in Thailand long term. So why is he driving on an Australian driving license? And why is he renewing or obtaining a copy of the license he alleges he misplaced, in Australia?The OP says the policeman said; he was going to fingerprint him, take him to immigration and would probably be deported. What, for a minor traffic offence? Immigration would have laughed this clown out of the office. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would fall for that. I think even a naive tourist fresh off the boat would question this.My questions for the OP:How long has he and his friend been staying in Thailand?And if he owns his own motorbike, why does he not have a Thai driving license? Whereabouts would you find somewhere to sit in a back lane way?Is there more involved with this, than the OP is letting on? Because this story simply doesn`t make sense.

Him is actually a her

We're not dealing with Hercule Poirot here!rolleyes.gif

Miss Marple ?

Actually its probably more serious to be caught with fake ID than to have no licence?

Take the motorbike test. It involves a moped and some cones.

I don't have the corect visa to. At the moment I just have a visitors visa.

International drivers permit? There's a picture of a motorbike on the back of my UK license and I just point to that . . . along with a lorry, a milk float and a space shuttle.

I know. It's all hassle.

Riding through town one day, got pulled over, no helmet. I said what's wrong, copper points to to his head to indicate no helmet. I just said they didn't sell helmets that fit my big farang head. Oh okay, no problem then, carry on.

• Like 1

200 in BKK 50-100 in a rural province.

Don't think many would accept 50 baht anymore, maybe several years ago.

In my experience i have found rural BIB pretty friendly, most like a quick chat with a random farang to be nosey, often the fine or bribe is not wanted.

200 in BKK 50-100 in a rural province.

Don't think many would accept 50 baht anymore, maybe several years ago.

In my experience i have found rural BIB pretty friendly, most like a quick chat with a random farang to be nosey, often the fine or bribe is not wanted.

Certainly not from farang! Elderly rice farm granny on her way to market, maybe. . .

Exciting story rolleyes.gif

Just so you don't give people ideas, this would a pretty idiotic thing to do, risking life and limb to avoid a few hundred baht fine.

As you point out it would be much more expensive to have to get out of a fake documents charge than just not having a licence.

Then you'll end up having to invite the BiB into your home when you're required to produce the original, or if that's not convenient they can always drop you back at the station while you have a friend bring it down.

Better to have the copy on you, in general giving bureaucrats the paper they're expecting is the path of least resistance, recipe for smooth living in the LoS.

Exciting story rolleyes.gif

Just so you don't give people ideas, this would a pretty idiotic thing to do, risking life and limb to avoid a few hundred baht fine.

As you point out it would be much more expensive to have to get out of a fake documents charge than just not having a licence.

Then you'll end up having to invite the BiB into your home when you're required to produce the original, or if that's not convenient they can always drop you back at the station while you have a friend bring it down.

Better to have the copy on you, in general giving bureaucrats the paper they're expecting is the path of least resistance, recipe for smooth living in the LoS.

For those of us who have driving licences we do not need to carry a passport as all the data is on the licence.

Anyone even contemplating using fake documents is being very foolish.

The thing is, you go out on a m/c or whatever and have no licence or helmet, you know what you are doing is against the law so why not be prepared to pay a few hundred baht fine?

Everything else - fake documents, taking avoiding actions etc., seems crazy to me.