After 22years Big Bill says good-bye to Patong&Phuket

TheWizardofRnR

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like most of you guys have been here quiet a long time. I arrived in Phuket in April 2006 so even being here 7 years I'm more or less a newbie compared to most. After spending 4 great years in Phuket (Kata/Karon) we decided that cost of living was getting out of hand along with a slowly accelerating crime rate and we also wanted to buy some land and build a home and with the land prices in Phuket (for us) it was not possible. Have visited Pattaya didn't think as nice as Phuket. We jumped on our Phantom and started driving towards Bangkok checking out all the places in between. We found the Cha Am Hua Hin area the best for cost of living land prices Farang community and a very nice beach. We bought a small bit of land built (local man who built home did a fantastic job cheaply) our very nice 1650 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath home for 1 million baht. We settled in Tha Yang area 40K north of Cha Am 65K north of Hua Hin.

I would suggest to anyone seriously thinking of leaving Phuket but remaining in Thailand to spend a few days in Cha Am/Hua Hin area. Where ever you go, good luck

Edited by carlekennedy
  • Like 2

i don't get why people who live here complain about high tuk tuk and taxi fares. i've never spent one baht on a taxi here. get a motorbike or car and drive yourself, its easy and cheap.

So true.

Expats calling for buses and metered taxi probably won't use them anyway.

I haven't and never will.

Thais won't give their cars and bikes to wait at a bus stop anyway.

It will only benefit people who want a cheaper holiday.

Same question to you. How do you get home after having a few drinks????

Big Bill,

I remember you from the Rock Hard days way back. Phuket was another world back then. Too bad its gone, but at least we got to enjoy a little paradise back then.

Good luck with your move.

• Like 1

i don't get why people who live here complain about high tuk tuk and taxi fares. i've never spent one baht on a taxi here. get a motorbike or car and drive yourself, its easy and cheap.

Maybe because we are not all selfish and can actually realise that it would be a benefit for people other than ourselves?

I agree KB.

How many tourists are killed or injured on a 200 baht a day rented motorbike, to escape, litterally, spending 2000 baht a day on tuk-tuks?

Many of them would have used proper public transport, if it were available here.

• Like 1

Your departure is significant. You don't need a weatherman to know which way monsoons blow.

I read constantly what a rip-off Phuket is but how can anyone on Planet Earth not know this by now? You have to be a right proper fool to chose Phuket as a vacation destination in 2013 so I do not feel sorry for the victims of the Phuket mafia. As we say in Scotland, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Looks like most of you guys have been here quiet a long time. I arrived in Phuket in April 2006 so even being here 7 years I'm more or less a newbie compared to most. After spending 4 great years in Phuket (Kata/Karon) we decided that cost of living was getting out of hand along with a slowly accelerating crime rate and we also wanted to buy some land and build a home and with the land prices in Phuket (for us) it was not possible. Have visited Pattaya didn't think as nice as Phuket. We jumped on our Phantom and started driving towards Bangkok checking out all the places in between. We found the Cha Am Hua Hin area the best for cost of living land prices Farang community and a very nice beach. We bought a small bit of land built (local man who built home did a fantastic job cheaply) our very nice 1650 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath home for 1 million baht. We settled in Tha Yang area 40K north of Cha Am 65K north of Hua Hin.

I would suggest to anyone seriously thinking of leaving Phuket but remaining in Thailand to spend a few days in Cha Am/Hua Hin area. Where ever you go, good luck

I've heard Hua Hin is booming. It has picked up many tourists, and expats, from Phuket. I have been there before, but not recently. I will visit again soon.

Edited by NamKangMan

Well said! If the nightlife isn't a big factor in your life than there are many other nice places to live in Thailand. The Cha Am - Hua Hin area is quite nice and an area I have always enjoyed. Further south, Prachuab Khirikhan is also nice. If you want to be in the Pattaya area but not right in Pattaya then maybe Bang Saray about 15kms south of Pattaya might be another option.

• Like 1

If Phuket is not attracting European tourists, and expats currently residing here are leaving, who will be the future expats of Phuket????

For those aging expats who chose, or are forced to stay here, for whatever reasons, after they pass way, what demographic of expat will replace them?

I can't see Chinese retiring here. The Russians, maybe a few, but there will be a very big expat void here in the future unless they address the many issues currently making Phuket unattractive to holiday, and retire to.

So long Big Billwai2.gif I will miss the best Pickles in the universe! crying.gif

Agreed. great pickles. Have to agree with everyone else who left Phuket for all the reasons stated and more. It really has changed for the worse over the past 7+ years it seems especially. I left a few years ago and only regret not hearing and smelling that beautiful Andaman every night....

I've heard Hua Hin is booming. It has picked up many tourists, and expats, from Phuket. I have been there before, but not recently. I will visit again soon.

i lived there for almost 2 years and hated it. too hot and dry, too much traffic in town, nothing to do, miserable people, phuket is far nice IMHO but each to their own.

i lived there for almost 2 years and hated it. too hot and dry, too much traffic in town, nothing to do, miserable people, phuket is far nice IMHO but each to their own.

How long ago was that? I have heard the place has boomed in recent time. I doubt it's still like that now.

Best burgers & pickles on the rock....miss em now having left in 2k9 for a quieter

life that's nearly hassle free...key word is nearly...and it's very bearable. Good luck

BB & Flo. Perhaps a nice departing song will jog yer memory who this is?! We knew

each other in the mid 80's...had a few at the Paradise Bar a few times...I had a pony

tail with "Go Tee"!! Fair winds & sunny days...

http://www.eyeneer.com/video/rock/the-eagles/take-it-easy

I wish to state that those arguing about the pros and cons of Pattaya or Phuket are both missing the point that both are dumps and each one signifies everything that is wrong in Thailand. I wouldn't be seen dead in either hole again. Sorry to the OP and I wish you well sir in the future but there are better places to chill out and relax in.

'The one good thing about Pattaya was the cheaper songtaews. Last time I was there it was only 10 or 20 baht to get around.... Still true? I remember Coney Island in 1960....and do not recall any decent looking gals there...lol. Perhaps the hot dogs were better?

Puleeease........not another Phuket vs Pattaya thread.

It's actually pretty sad that these locations are now compared to each other.

This is what humans call the natural selection process. You compare A with B and perhaps take into account C and then come up with a preference. If Pattaya rings your bell my old son, the best of luck to you and yours. Have been on Samui now for seven years and this year began to feel the wonder lust ,as I think we might be following the Phuket trend in the not too distant future. Mind you we have not had a posse of Ambassadors coming here to complain to the Govenor about the rip-offs and dangers of life on our little Island - yet.

Hey Bill and Flo all the best. Joy and I moved away 6 years ago now up to her village out side of Chiang Rai. I can remember many good times coming into the Rock Hard with Dave from the Moonshine bar and English Mike for a good time and then off to Patrick's Bar. All the best Canadian Randy (The Nineteenth Hole Bar) fortunately or unfortunately nothing ever stays the same no matter how much we wish it. Those were interesting times my friend. I hope you find what your looking for you deserve it Bill.

Randy and Joy in Ban Tri Keow out side Chiang Rai

We will not be looking in Chaing Mai , Pattaya is more Wheelchair friendly then Bkk ,

so it is one of the places we are looking at .....plus I know lots of folks there and

more important the prices on most things are better then here.....

Sadly I have to agree with you Chiang Mai is not wheel chair friendly. But we dop havee some great medical facilities and doctors.

Thank you for reaffirming my decision to not go to Phuket for a visit. Twice was enough. The two years following the Tsunami were enough for me.

I've been here for 4 years and seen the incredible jump in prices in real estate and the slower increase in food prices, and the burgeoning influx of high priced real estate and retail in Rawai and Nai Harn. This trend to expand and make more profit out of the tourist industry and ex-pat community has rubbed off on the locals, who assimilate to the growing sense of profit and subsequent greed. The vexation and stress of the West is being incorporated into the fabric of the local Thai society here. I think they perceive being uptight about money as being part of some exclusive lifestyle they hope to attract by assimilating a more aggressive money-oriented mentality. Or maybe greed is like a virus and they got infected. Or maybe they were always like this but it's only come out when the opportunity arises. Maybe they just imitate the people who come here to get rich.

Edited by me313
  • Like 1

Maybe because we are not all selfish and can actually realise that it would be a benefit for people other than ourselves?

i never knew that driving my self around was selfish. you learn something new every day on TV.

She never said it was...

I haven't met your guys, but I do understand the reasons for your decision. Enjoy life as it is. People in lower north east don't rip me off and I'm accepted as one of them.-biggrin.png

Good luck to you guys! Should you come to lower north east, please send me a message, would love to meet you before you're going to the north.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Bill, how did your visa extension take two hours? Did that include drive time? Mine took about 45 minutes and that was because the head of immigration was too busy to sign it for 30 minutes. But that time included a re-entry permit and a 90 day checkin form.

I moved away from Patong where I lived in 2005 to Rawai. There wasn't much here in Rawai back then. My rent is the same as it was when I moved to this house 7 years ago. Electricity is cheap. My truck and motorbikes are all paid, gas isn't that much as I don't drive a lot. The price of food is up everywhere. The loudest thing around my house are all the birds. I really don't have much to bitch about here in Rawai other than I still don't care much for high season. Problem solved, we will be at my house in California this next high season.

Good luck to you wherever you and your wife end up!

• Like 2