Phuket -- A pessimist's Paradise

KarenBravo

Small business is dying.

Just go down Taina rd in Kata. It used to be a bustling place but now it's a ghost town. Shops closing down everywhere.

It's due to the demographic changing. Russians and Chinese get all inclusive meals and dont venture out.

They aren't individual travellers, I used to just book a return ticket with no hotel plans at all and play it as it comes and see where I would end up.

Thailand got what it wanted, arrival figures.

• Like 2

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small business is dying.

Just go down Taina rd in Kata. It used to be a bustling place but now it's a ghost town. Shops closing down everywhere.

It's due to the demographic changing. Russians and Chinese get all inclusive meals and dont venture out.

They aren't individual travellers, I used to just book a return ticket with no hotel plans at all and play it as it comes and see where I would end up.

Thailand got what it wanted, arrival figures.

Hit the nail on the head there Hans. Arrival figures with many captive tourists are taken only to places owned by the rich & influential. None of this money really flows through to the general populace.

• Like 1

thai people live day by day

saving for tomorrow?

you can see when it is pay day, malls and parking lots are mega fulll

what i do today, has impact tomorrow and later (bush burning, shooting in owns footh with all kinds of maffia and non returning tourists)....

mai ben rai

I had some great years but Phuket wore me down, ended up with that expat syndrome of being on guard all the time, a distrust and in conflict with my surroundings. So much so I considered the west or other options. 

This hits home with me. After 10 years I think I'm getting to this stage.

Holidays used to help but not anymore. I think a good description for expat syndrome is anxiety.

Well said and I agree. Even my Thai wife agrees that these government officials seem to think that water flows up hill! Gravity? What's that? As for your last sentence, farangs will be blamed as we are for everything else here. We are leaving here at the end of August for 9 months at least. I hope there is some improvement in the lame excuse for a government, but somehow I doubt it.

I am single, but, from memory, I think I have mentioned this a long time ago. Why can't you guys with Thai girlfirends/wives get them to register to vote here, and vote on election day for the alternative candidate.

Sure, we may be getting just more of the same, but at least they may start to listen to expats, speaking on behalf of themselves, and tourists, and voting throught a proxy, their wives and girlfriends. These votes can't be bought for a few baht, and these women do not need any "favours" in relation to business, land, construction etc.

Is it possible this could force some positive change?

There was once a candidate that de-throned the long-time tuk tuk king of Patong, but he quickly had the winner thrown out by claiming, hypocritically, he bought votes.

Edited by NomadJoe

We now have on this forum three or 4 threads all ending up in the same "oh Phuket isn't what it used to be", "oh Phuket sucks with all the traffic and taxi mafia" "this is what annoys me here" 'I'm leaving after years IN PATONG",,,,I mean really, you guys, and I'm the GOM?

Fellow TV member and I on the way to playing some tennis today had this discussion and he imparted a small tale which I will now relate.

The Gate Keeper:

Back in the 1700's there was a city gate keeper, a traveler happened upon him and asked how are things in this city. Gate Keeper replies, well, how are things where you come from?

Traveler-people aren't very nice, everybody greedy so everything now very expensive, sometimes the law there works most of the time corruption.

Gate Keeper- well, thats the same here, best you keep on moving.

Traveler #2 shows up asks the Gate keeper the same gate keeper replies the same , how are things where you are coming from.

Traveler 2 - actually I have lovely parents there and many a good friend, fabulous times, weather is usually o.k. and our harvests always good, as a bird out of the nest it was just time for me to spread my wings.

Gate keeper opens the gate and says welcome, what you descibe is how it is here too.

Perspective. Mind-set. Attitude.

• Like 1

Well said and I agree. Even my Thai wife agrees that these government officials seem to think that water flows up hill! Gravity? What's that? As for your last sentence, farangs will be blamed as we are for everything else here. We are leaving here at the end of August for 9 months at least. I hope there is some improvement in the lame excuse for a government, but somehow I doubt it.

I am single, but, from memory, I think I have mentioned this a long time ago. Why can't you guys with Thai girlfirends/wives get them to register to vote here, and vote on election day for the alternative candidate.

Sure, we may be getting just more of the same, but at least they may start to listen to expats, speaking on behalf of themselves, and tourists, and voting throught a proxy, their wives and girlfriends. These votes can't be bought for a few baht, and these women do not need any "favours" in relation to business, land, construction etc.

She is registered with the government here. But she wasn't born here. So she can't vote here. And we're headed for the USA at the end of August. There is no such thing as an absentee ballot here in Thailand, like there is in the USA. Do you think Thailand is an actual democracy?

I don't think your right to vote is restricted to the district where you were born - I could be wrong of course. Edited by dunque

Everyones circumstances are different and this reflects in how they see and feel and talk about this place..what's the problem with that?

Someones 'milk and honey' vision isn't neccessarily the same as his neighbours is it?

Also at times relates directly to just how rose coloured the observer/commenters specs are.

She is registered with the government here. But she wasn't born here. So she can't vote here. And we're headed for the USA at the end of August. There is no such thing as an absentee ballot here in Thailand, like there is in the USA. Do you think Thailand is an actual democracy?

I don't think your right to vote is restricted to the district where you were born - I could be tong of course.

You're right. She would just have to change the address in her house book. But she hasn't.

We now have on this forum three or 4 threads all ending up in the same "oh Phuket isn't what it used to be", "oh Phuket sucks with all the traffic and taxi mafia" "this is what annoys me here" 'I'm leaving after years IN PATONG",,,,I mean really, you guys, and I'm the GOM?

Fellow TV member and I on the way to playing some tennis today had this discussion and he imparted a small tale which I will now relate.

The Gate Keeper:

Back in the 1700's there was a city gate keeper, a traveler happened upon him and asked how are things in this city. Gate Keeper replies, well, how are things where you come from?

Traveler-people aren't very nice, everybody greedy so everything now very expensive, sometimes the law there works most of the time corruption.

Traveler #2 shows up asks the Gate keeper the same gate keeper replies the same , how are things where you are coming from.

Traveler 2 - actually I have lovely parents there and many a good friend, fabulous times, weather is usually o.k. and our harvests always good, as a bird out of the nest it was just time for me to spread my wings.

Gate keeper opens the gate and says welcome, what you descibe is how it is here too.

Great story GOM.

Nothing to do with "perspective, mind-set, attitude" - obviously, Traveler 1 and Traveler 2 are from different cities. smile.pngsmile.png

I'd guess Traveler 1 is from a place where he pays a minimum 200 baht journey in a tuk-tuk and Traveler 2 is from a place where he can go a far as he wants on a baht bus for 10 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Everyones circumstances are different and this reflects in how they see and feel and talk about this place..what's the problem with that?

Someones 'milk and honey' vision isn't neccessarily the same as his neighbours is it?

Also at times relates directly to just how rose coloured the observer/commenters specs are.

I don't think expats, tourists and locals want "milk and honey."

They just want what everywhere else in Thailand has, nothing more, nothing less.

We are all being held to ransom here by the "influential people."

The Gate Keeper:

Great story GOM.

Nothing to do with "perspective, mind-set, attitude" - obviously, Traveler 1 and Traveler 2 are from different cities. smile.pngsmile.png

I'd guess Traveler 1 is from a place where he pays a minimum 200 baht journey in a tuk-tuk and Traveler 2 is from a place where he can go a far as he wants on a baht bus for 10 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

NKM: You missed the whole point of the story.

It doesn't matter where traveler 1 or traveler 2 come from or go.

They are going to find the same kind of people, similar situations, broken dreams (or fantastic ones) wherever they go.

Do you really think that the people who have lived here and left for greener pastures because of corruption, traffic, prices, etc are happy where they landed?

The Gate Keeper:

Great story GOM.

They are going to find the same kind of people, similar situations, broken dreams (or fantastic ones) wherever they go.

Do you really think that the people who have lived here and left for greener pastures because of corruption, traffic, prices, etc are happy where they landed?

My friends that have moved to Pattaya say to me they are a lot happier.

Believe it, or not, they actually say to me Pattaya has a more relaxed atmosphere.

The Gate Keeper:

Great story GOM.

My friends that have moved to Pattaya say to me they are a lot happier.

Believe it, or not, they actually say to me Pattaya has a more relaxed atmosphere.

To be honest, pattaya is the only place in Thailand that I didn't feel safe walking around at night.

Hardly relaxing atmosphere with viscous ladyboys and freelance hookers on every corner.

Then there is the boys on bikes looking for a mug to rob.

Never once have I felt that here in Phuket.

Edited by hansgruber

My GF is from Issan she registered change of address to Phuket and she votes.

I don't think expats, tourists and locals want "milk and honey." They just want what everywhere else in Thailand has, nothing more, nothing less.

You got it wrong... I never said that expats, tourists and locals want "milk and honey." i was saying that peoples interpretation of their lifestyle/surroundings can vary immensely..in that, say for eg, GOM may interpret his lifestyle/surroundings as being great ie ''milk and honey'' but his neighbour for example may hate his own lifestyle/surroundings.

Nothing at all to do with how you replied.

If you read some of the posts you will see that some people are perfectly happy with their lot here., which i feel is what GOM was saying in #70.....smile.png

My GF is from Issan she registered change of address to Phuket and she votes.

Yes, as I have said three times now she hasn't bothered to change her address in her house book for four years. Moot point now. We are leaving for California at the end of August for 9 months.

I don't think expats, tourists and locals want "milk and honey." They just want what everywhere else in Thailand has, nothing more, nothing less.

You got it wrong... I never said that expats, tourists and locals want "milk and honey." i was saying that peoples interpretation of their lifestyle/surroundings can vary immensely..in that, say for eg, GOM may interpret his lifestyle/surroundings as being great ie ''milk and honey'' but his neighbour for example may hate his own lifestyle/surroundings.

If you read some of the posts you will see that some people are perfectly happy with their lot here., which i feel is what GOM was saying in #70.....smile.png

Its soon only room for one lifestyle here due to the surroundings.......

I understand what you are saying.

Every morning I wake up, in good health, I'm happy for another day on this earth. If you have your health, you have everything. A good life can be viewed as simple as that. Saying that, people may view me as optimistic, although I am sure many on this forum view me as pessimistic. smile.png

Circumstances do change in life. Sometimes overnight, sometimes, over a longer period of time.

An example may be, today you are "perfectly happy with your lot" on Phuket, tomorrow, you find out they are building a pig farm next door to your house. So, you go from being happy on Phuket, to not so happy, now owning a worthless property, and you will have to move and buy again.

Another example, applicible to all of us here, is, you are riding your motorbike along, doing the right thing, and then you are hit by a drunk tourist, causing serious injury to yourself. Surely, you would have to think the lack of transport on Phuket had a role to play in your accident. If you were to interview the drunk tourist and ask. "Why were you riding drunk?" If they reply, "Because the tuk-tuks are too expensive" - maybe the transport issue on Phuket is now well and truly in your face, as you lay in hospital. Sure, this does not diminish the culpability of the drunk tourist, but the transport issue here has now affected "your lot in life" here, through no fault of your own.

There's been many complaints, recently, of lengthy black outs on Phuket. I haven't had them here in Patong. Should my attitude be, "who cares, it doesn't effect me" therefore, I am "happy with my lot" on Phuket, in relation to electric supply, when a short distance away, electric is going down for hours, regularly?

There seems to be a general attitude of, "It doesn't effect me, so I don't care" here on Phuket, despite the motorbike example I gave above, that it could happen to anyone, anytime.

Years ago, many came here with the "TIT" (This Is Thailand) attitude, myself included. We all had a laugh at things and simply just put it down to "TIT." Most were "happy with their lot" on Phuket back then. Slowly, we discovered it wasn't TIT, it was "influential people" that have created such negative change on Phuket, and they continue to do so, unabated.

I would suggest, that "negative change" effects us all here, therefore, effecting our "happiness with our lot in life" here, and those negative changes keep happening, in the short term, and the long term here, and will continue to change one's attitude and perspective of Phuket, to the point that tourists will not come here, and expats will move away from here.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

But thats exactly my point.. I left Phuket, and all those phuket troubles, which I thought at the time were thai troubles but are not.. Stopped.

I am happier now than I have been in years, I have a much nicer set of locals, and while I will probably always be views as a bit of an outsider, I dont feel that that comes with much of a negative here. My wife has better friends, the expats I know seem more integrated, more stable, have more normal lives.. Both Thais and westerners socialize together, do community things together, I feel pretty much accepted. After a bunch of years that became important to me.

For everyone that says 'íts the person not the environment' I am here to tell you that in my case.. It WAS the environment, once I changed it those troubles went away.

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying.

Every morning I wake up, in good health, I'm happy for another day on this earth. If you have your health, you have everything. A good life can be viewed as simple as that. Saying that, people may view me as optimistic, although I sure many here see me as pessimistic. smile.png

Circumstances do change in life. Sometimes overnight, sometimes, over a longer period of time.

An example may be, today you are "perfectly happy with your lot" on Phuket, tomorrow, you find out they are building a pig farm next door to your house. So, you go from being happy on Phuket, to not so happy, now owning a worthless property, and you will have to move and buy again.

Another example, applicible to all of us here, is, you are riding your motorbike along, doing the right thing, and then you are hit by a drunk tourist, causing serious injury to yourself. Surely, you would have to think the lack of transport on Phuket had a role to play in your accident. If you were to interview the drunk tourist and ask. "Why were you riding drunk?" If they reply, "Because the tuk-tuks are too expensive" - maybe the transport issue on Phuket is now well and truly in your face, as you lay in hospital. Sure, this does not diminish the culpability of the drunk tourist, but the transport issue here has now affected "your lot in life" here, through no fault of your own.

There's been many complaints, recently, of lengthy black outs on Phuket. I haven't had them here in Patong. Should my attitude be, who cares, it doesn't effect me, therefore, I am "happy with my lot" on Phuket, in relation to electric supply, when a short distance away, electric is going down for hours, regularly?

There seems to be a general attitude of, "It doesn't effect me, so I don't care" here on Phuket, despite the motorbike example a gave above, that it could happen to anyone, anytime.

Years ago, many came here with the "TIT" (This Is Thailand) attitude. We all had a laugh at things and simply just put it down to "TIT." Most were "happy with their lot" on Phuket back then. Slowly, we discovered it wasn't TIT, it was "influential people" that have created such negative change on Phuket, and they continue to do so, unabated.

I would suggest, that "negative change" effects us all here, therefore, effecting our "happiness with our lot in life" here, and those negative changes keep happening, in the short term, and the long term here, and will continue to change one's attitude and perspective of Phuket, to the point of tourists will not come here and expats ill move away from.

I think that is a rather poor example to be honest. Tourists CAN afford taxis and tuk tuks here and there are plenty of drunken accidents in places with cheaper transport. I am also sure you could have a pig farm built next to you in other provinces too.

You keep going on about negative change but that's always been perceived to be the case. When I came here 12 years ago, there were people who had been here 10 years already and they complained about how things had changed negatively.

As I have stated previously some of the changes have a slightly negative impact on my life but many of the changes have had a positive impact, so for me Phuket is overall a better place to live than it used to be as it is for many other people too.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

But thats exactly my point.. I left Phuket, and all those phuket troubles, which I thought at the time were thai troubles but are not.. Stopped.

I am happier now than I have been in years, I have a much nicer set of locals, and while I will probably always be views as a bit of an outsider, I dont feel that that comes with much of a negative here. My wife has better friends, the expats I know seem more integrated, more stable, have more normal lives.. Both Thais and westerners socialize together, do community things together, I feel pretty much accepted. After a bunch of years that became important to me.

For everyone that says 'íts the person not the environment' I am here to tell you that in my case.. It WAS the environment, once I changed it those troubles went away.

That's why I call it "Planet Phuket." :)

All the BS is on Phuket, not all over Thailand.