Koh Samui to tackle tourism problems

Two British men are killed after 'out of control' truck smashes into them on Thailand road

The roads in Samui are out of control. There is absolutely no traffic enforcement of any kind. It results in up to 30 road deaths per month, on Samui alone. Most are on scooters. The police and the government absolutely refuse to do anything to improve the situation. No speed limits, no drunk driving tests, no helmet requiremement laws that are enforced etc. Thailand has completely failed, when it comes to traffic enforcement and saftey standards, and it has resulted in one of the highest fatality rates per capita, in the world.

This is just one of many accidents that happen on samui, daily. Last week, a taxi ran into two tourists on a scooter in Maenam, killing them both. The taxi driver died too. If there is ever going to be a solution to this problem, it will start with policing. Right now, the police on samui are utterly useless. They are not a law enforcement agency, but rather a revenue collection agency. There is absolute indifference from Yingluck and the entire government. Samui is treated as the forgotten child.

Regarding the two unfortunate people that died in those sad circumstances (RIP to them both and condolences to the families)- but sorry, accidents do happen. However, this post (and the next one) then goes on to slam everything about Thais.

Here we go again.

It's the old "Samui is corrupt, the government does not care, the police are inadequate etc etc"

I rarely see a post that reads "Criminal tourists come to Samui to break the law!"

It is easy to blame all of the scammers - because they are in the minority.

There are speed limits on the island - how many of YOU break them?

There are laws regarding drink driving - how many of YOU break them?

There are laws stating that a valid International/Thai driving licence is required to drive here - how many of YOU have one?

There are laws about wearing a crash helmet here (and they are enforced) - how many of YOU do not wear one?

There are laws regarding work permits - how many of YOU have a different work permit for every job that you do?

There are lots of laws regarding tax - personal, house tax, company tax, etc etc - how many of YOU do not pay all of your taxes? (These are the taxes that pay for more police!)

To a lesser or greater degree - many of us break the law.

BUT we should not put the blame on the policing of the laws - the real answer lies in the law breakers.

Why is is the fault of the police that a milion or so tourists come to the island and many of them do not keep the law?

Why is it the fault of the police that a hundred thousand or so of 'residents' (many illegal) break the law?

I do not know how many police there are on Samui (can someone please tell me? Less than 200 I would guess) but why should you expect them to tell you what to do?

The solution is NOT the police. Is not the real solution about public responsibility? Sadly - many people come to Thailand because it is a relaxed, easy going place - and they can break the law and get away with it.

Spidermike007 - if you have never broken the law here - I wholeheartedly apologise to you. However, most people that I have seen in my 13 years on Samui do break the law almost every day. However, most people decide to break only the minor laws - until something goes wrong. In all of my dealings with the police on Samui I have found them to be professional and helpful (with only one exception)

Let us try and hit the problem - not the solution!

Move off the island and you will soon see the police doing some thing about no licence, no hats, drink driving, speeding etc, its their job to catch and fine law breakers. I would have thought the whole idea of the police is catch law breakers not have a self policing state. It is by far and away the easiest place i have ever been to to get drugs, i don't use but no road checks so no chance of getting caught.

In the real world crime is controlled by the police and they are judged on that, Samui is different in that respect. The police on Samui are a disgrace compared to the main land and are just content extorting money out of bar owners. Usual night shift patrol, drink until unconscious then go and clock off.

post-140396-0-61631300-1372778023_thumb.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi all

nothing wrong with the police on samui

great bunch of people most of them

if the government actually paid them a decent salary maybe [maybe ] they would do a little more work

ive been arrested on samui and found the court system as good as other western countries [and probably more fair ]

most tourists coming to samui love it here and many repeatedly come back

ive lived here for many years and like the system in thailand

people who dont like the way thailand works shouldnt come /stay here

and then complain that its not the same as their home country

go home all you moaners /whingers

ah the go home if you don't like it post, lot of imagination goes into that answer. when you went to court was there a jury?

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

at least no weapon fired in phuket night club unlike yesterday once again at sound club at 430AM.

blood was all over the dancefloor at the front room, as usual somchai fired on prasert....

this self policing idea is great in a perfect world but we're not in one,thats why countries have a police force to enforce the law.Koh samui has the laws but they are not enforced.So if we want less accidents for example,the police need to be out there to catch people that dont wear helmets,drivers who speed and who also "drink and drive".Heavy fines do the trick,when it hurts the "pocket" people usually fall into line.

• Like 1

hi all

if the government actually paid them a decent salary maybe [maybe ] they would do a little more work

ive been arrested on samui and found the court system as good as other western countries [and probably more fair ]

ah the go home if you don't like it post, lot of imagination goes into that answer. when you went to court was there a jury?

Yes, agreed. A tremendous amount of simplification goes into a statement like that one. Many of us love it here, and love many of the Thai people, but like anywhere see room for improvement. What is so terrible about that prospect? Yes, many come back as Samui has its charms. But, some do not. And many people I know who have lived here for years have left. They have been increasingly frustrated with the lack of law enforcement, environmental awareness and concern, traffic safety issues, etc. Nothing wrong with progress. Is it not the nature of mankind? Hopefully?

• Like 1

hi all

Yes. I love the "if you don't like it go" home brigade. they're fungiggle.gif Funnily, they are generally the ones that have lived here for about five minutes or idealistic students whose view of thailand is based on an Alex Garland novel. best not to take too seriouslywink.png

• Like 1

Not sure why Tropicalevo is so fanatical about supporting the police here, even to the point of justifying their corruption. Did you marry into their family or something?

The police on Samui are nothing more than an organised crime syndicate. They are not "too busy" to stop crime. They can be found on most nights in Lamai smoking methamphetamine and getting drunk near the pier at the Northern end of Lamai beach.

The problems with criminal farangs etc that you are going on about are problems precisely because those farangs come to Samui because of its lawless reputation. Which is, again, a result of the utter failure of the Thai government to get honest policemen in Samui.

If you only have B/S to post please go back to bed. If not provide proof of the ilegal activies the police are supposed to be doing.

Not sure why Tropicalevo is so fanatical about supporting the police here, even to the point of justifying their corruption. Did you marry into their family or something?

The police on Samui are nothing more than an organised crime syndicate. They are not "too busy" to stop crime. They can be found on most nights in Lamai smoking methamphetamine and getting drunk near the pier at the Northern end of Lamai beach.

The problems with criminal farangs etc that you are going on about are problems precisely because those farangs come to Samui because of its lawless reputation. Which is, again, a result of the utter failure of the Thai government to get honest policemen in Samui.

If you only have B/S to post please go back to bed. If not provide proof of the ilegal activies the police are supposed to be doing.

You want to stay off the sauce matebiggrin.png

• Like 1

I ran a bar on Samui every month the police came and asked for money to stay open or they close bar have lady work and stay open late. No proof but fact, and ask any bar owner on the island if they have to pay police or not, also happens in Pattaya and even Udon Thani. Check out youtube plenty of links on there.

Edited by marstons

Last time I went to samui, admittedly we stayed in chaweng, I witnessed four different brawls / assaults (westerners on westerners) and numerous lone drunks stumbling down the main road hassling everyone.

One bald headed cockney who, whenever I saw him during the week we were there, always had dried blood on his face and was absolutely hammered stopping at every person he came across and doing things like taking a sip from their drink.

This kind of stuff can happen anywhere of course. Just in my case it left a bad impression of samui. And it was due to whiteys!

Whiteys? I assume by this comment you are referring to white people,and you are from where Darkest Africa.?

I ran a bar on Samui every month the police came and asked for money to stay open or they close bar have lady work and stay open late. No proof but fact, and ask any bar owner on the island if they have to pay police or not, also happens in Pattaya and even Udon Thani. Check out youtube plenty of links on there.

I assume you mean that the police requested money for a bar to stay open after legally allowed opening times, or to (illegally) rent out women?

Obvious proof of illegal activity by police. But you write it like it is a complaint. If that is the case then the alternative is that police follows the law, meaning bars close at 12 and don't have girls working. I kinda like the lawlessness on Samui. Take your own responsibility. Just drive a big car and wear your seatbelt and you will significantly reduce your health risks on Samui. I don't have a problem with helmetless motosai driving suicidal tourists or locals. Up to them.

• Like 2

I assume you mean that the police requested money for a bar to stay open after legally allowed opening times, or to (illegally) rent out women?

Obvious proof of illegal activity by police. But you write it like it is a complaint. If that is the case then the alternative is that police follows the law, meaning bars close at 12 and don't have girls working. I kinda like the lawlessness on Samui. Take your own responsibility. Just drive a big car and wear your seatbelt and you will significantly reduce your health risks on Samui. I don't have a problem with helmetless motosai driving suicidal tourists or locals. Up to them.

no we stayed with in the zone times, i did not get payed after 2 am so sure as hell was not going to work for free, not a complaint at all, i did not pay the police the money it was just an example to the guy who asked for proof, not proof just a fact. What the girls did was between them and the customers, we never rented out any girls, if a guy wanted to take away a girl from her job of work, he was asked to replace her salary in her absence. so nothing illegal so far. should you knock over and kill one of those helmet less locals you would probably have a problem.

So i gather you conclude Samui is lawless and like it that way, personally i liked it when the police sat in the police box at top of Green Mango and the tourist police rode about on thier bicycles around the area at closing times.

Despite the meetings etc where ever they be, and about what ever things will not change, i don't mean just Samui but every where with in Tourist Thailand areas. Samui does however have the lowest police profile of any where i have visited, both tourist and non tourist.

no we stayed with in the zone times, i did not get payed after 2 am so sure as hell was not going to work for free, not a complaint at all, i did not pay the police the money it was just an example to the guy who asked for proof, not proof just a fact. What the girls did was between them and the customers, we never rented out any girls, if a guy wanted to take away a girl from her job of work, he was asked to replace her salary in her absence. so nothing illegal so far. should you knock over and kill one of those helmet less locals you would probably have a problem.

So i gather you conclude Samui is lawless and like it that way, personally i liked it when the police sat in the police box at top of Green Mango and the tourist police rode about on thier bicycles around the area at closing times.

Despite the meetings etc where ever they be, and about what ever things will not change, i don't mean just Samui but every where with in Tourist Thailand areas. Samui does however have the lowest police profile of any where i have visited, both tourist and non tourist.

Compared to other tourist spots in Thailand and certainly in ohger parts in the world with s heavy police presence, Samui seems to be pretty safe. Don't know if that's just my perception or the actual reality though. So even with our no-good police force I feel safe. I am also pretty sure that Thailand is an attractive tourist destination partly because the police doesn't care much what goes on. When tourists start to feel unsafe, it's amazing how quickly police will intervene. Helmetless driving does not have that priority, and I agree. I take full responsibility in case of an accident, that's why I have 1st class insurance with a large bailbond. I won't be hurt by someone else's stupidity.

I know several non girlie bar owners who never have paid police. Your argument that the bar you worked in was following the rules is not true. The girl-for-rent explanation you give is ridiculous. And official closing time in Thailand is midnight. Only exceptions are Silom/Patpong, New Petchaburi roads, and Ratchadaphisek in Bangkok, which have closing times up to 2am depending on type of venue.

• Like 1

Last time I went to samui, admittedly we stayed in chaweng, I witnessed four different brawls / assaults (westerners on westerners) and numerous lone drunks stumbling down the main road hassling everyone.

One bald headed cockney who, whenever I saw him during the week we were there, always had dried blood on his face and was absolutely hammered stopping at every person he came across and doing things like taking a sip from their drink.

. Just in my case it left a bad impression of samui. And it was due to whiteys!

In my case I have seen no fight

, but a lot of sunsets, must be thousands, and a lot of tropical birds and butterflies, have walked paths through palm tree forests and rainforest's countless times, swam to the horizon and back like in a silky blanket in all conditions since a quarter century without any problems, ate seafood so fresh the crabs seemed to have an urgent way....

...This kind of stuff cannot happen anywhere of course. Just in my case it left a wonderful impression of Samui. And that's why i continue to live here

Agree,

coffee1.gif

The BiBs obviously read Thai Visa!

They were out in Bangrak this morning having a fine time. smile.png

Fine for no helmet. thumbsup.gif

Fine for no tax thumbsup.gif

Fine for anything else they could think of. whistling.gif

Proper fines - receipt given - so they only get a %age of the fine. Not the 100% they get with T money. coffee1.gif

So - maybe improving? clap2.gif

As a american I like not living in a police state great change from the USA, and I also like living in a non nanny state I do not need big brother to hold my hand, I do not need some one to tell me how to handle taxi drivers, I stay away from jet ski renters so no problem there. I wear a helmet so no problem there, I have a bar follow the rules pay my money and no problems, better protection than the police back home.

My only complaint is the sewage, when you fly in there is a green ring around the island from the algae, and when it rains the raw sewage pours onto the beaches from the drains, that hurts business. Other than that no problems.

• Like 2

As a american I like not living in a police state great change from the USA, and I also like living in a non nanny state I do not need big brother to hold my hand, I do not need some one to tell me how to handle taxi drivers, I stay away from jet ski renters so no problem there. I wear a helmet so no problem there, I have a bar follow the rules pay my money and no problems, better protection than the police back home.

My only complaint is the sewage, when you fly in there is a green ring around the island from the algae, and when it rains the raw sewage pours onto the beaches from the drains, that hurts business. Other than that no problems.

You really think a helmet is going to do anything when meth-addicted Somchai decides he can't wait to overtake when driving around the mountain road and plows his concrete truck into your motorbike?

I take every precaution possible when riding, but the fact is that the roads here are still ridiculously dangerous because road rules are never enforced.

As for your "minding your own business" dribble, you're just kidding yourself.

A good friend of mine and well-known Lamai business owner, witnessed a motorbike accident a few years ago. He was riding behind another bike who crashed directly into a flower girl who ran out into the street. The driver who hit the girl sped off. My friend stopped to help her. Meanwhile, the thugs at Fusion Club Lamai across the street ran out. There were about 9 of them. They saw my friend attempting to help the girl, assumed he was the perpetrator and they beat and kicked the absolute snot out of him. His face was swollen like the watermelon the next day and both eyes were closed over for close to a week. Any Lamai resident can verify this story for you.

I'm sure big tough American you would have done just fine there though.

Yep. It's only drunks and idiots who get in trouble in good old Paradise Samui! Everything is perfect!

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

Hey pokerspiv - enjoy your posts, but there is always another angle. My comments are below

You really think a helmet is going to do anything when meth-addicted Somchai decides he can't wait to overtake when driving around the mountain road and plows his concrete truck into your motorbike?

Yep - shitee happens everywhere - but Somchai normally gets his just rewards. (Not much help if you are pushing up daisies but......)

I take every precaution possible when riding, but the fact is that the roads here are still ridiculously dangerous because road rules are never enforced.

Why is the problem the enforcers? No-one ever complains about the law breakers? I see Thais/Farangs etc breaking every rule in the book, but they all complain that " the police should do more!"

A good friend of mine and well-known Lamai business owner, witnessed a motorbike accident a few years ago. He was riding behind another bike who crashed directly into a flower girl who ran out into the street. The driver who hit the girl sped off. My friend stopped to help her. Meanwhile, the thugs at Fusion Club Lamai across the street ran out. There were about 9 of them. They saw my friend attempting to help the girl, assumed he was the perpetrator and they beat and kicked the absolute snot out of him. His face was swollen like the watermelon the next day and both eyes were closed over for close to a week. Any Lamai resident can verify this story for you.

Yep. It's only drunks and idiots who get in trouble in good old Paradise Samui! Everything is perfect!

Yes - with you on this one. This is the ATM farang syndrome. I have stopped a number of times at an accident, and I have even been arrested at one of them. (Nothing to do with me)

However, the police have always been polite when they realised that I was not involved. Luckily, I was never beaten up. Came close once - but some Thais came to my rescue and said "the farang did not cause this - he was only trying to help."

Moral of the story - do not help. Sad but true. I now tell all of my customers - if you are not involved - do not stop.

Why is the problem the enforcers? No-one ever complains about the law breakers? I see Thais/Farangs etc breaking every rule in the book, but they all complain that " the police should do more!"

Because we can't do anything about the law-breakers, but they can.

If they enforced license requirements, drink-driving and speeding laws for a start, the roads here would be much safer.

50% of the cars here would be off the road for a start, because most people do not have a valid license to drive them.

Hey pokerspiv - enjoy your posts, but there is always another angle. My comments are below

Yep - shitee happens everywhere - but Somchai normally gets his just rewards. (Not much help if you are pushing up daisies but......)

Yes - with you on this one. This is the ATM farang syndrome. I have stopped a number of times at an accident, and I have even been arrested at one of them. (Nothing to do with me)

However, the police have always been polite when they realised that I was not involved. Luckily, I was never beaten up. Came close once - but some Thais came to my rescue and said "the farang did not cause this - he was only trying to help."

Moral of the story - do not help. Sad but true. I now tell all of my customers - if you are not involved - do not stop.

That is really sad to read – the story about the accident with the flower girl in Lamai and Tropicalevo’s last comment. Especially sad, when one comes from a part of the World, where it is against the Law not to stop and help. It is a weird kind of “self justice” in LoS’ traffic, where taxi drives has arms in their car to beat up – or kill – troublesome clients, perpetrators speeds away from accidents and a helpful soul may be beaten up or arrested.
Only a week ago, on the Ringroad between Lamai and Nathon at the uninhabited part with coconut palms only, I saw a tilted motorbike in the opposite lane, a man laying next to it, and some foreigners standing quite a bit away just looking, doing nothing. As so often before, I stopped the car and ran over to help – while I searched Samui Rescue’s number up in the mobile, ready just in case. The young foreign man, who had been riding the bike, was fairly damaged – bleeding from head, arms and legs – so I called for an ambulance. Within minutes two ambulances, and just after them two police cars, arrived and professionals could take over. I don’t know if the victim had just fallen or someone had hit him – he was quite confused, having hit his un-helmed head – but what amazed me was the lack of help from other people, still standing at distance just looking.
I have stopped several times, when I pass a “fresh” accident, where no one seems help. Sometimes called SR – and sometimes also feared, that somebody may think I caused the accident – but there has never been a problem or any questions when police arrived. In the beginning my Thai GF used to say: »don’t stop!” Well, now I know why – the nine guys from Fuzion should really have cared about the girl rather than beating up a farang, who did not try to speed away – and that is indeed very sad!
Even more sad, when you shall be afraid of offering help – hope this story will not make me think twice, if I in the future may pass someone in need for help.
  • Like 1

The sad part is not only that they beat him up. They are hired thugs, after all.

The sad part is that they knew they would get away with it, nothing will happen because their employer is a rich and well-connected Khon Chao Samui who is not subject to the same laws and regulations as the rest of us. The police only care about crime in the event that it might start risking their cushy, well-paid position. A Farang with a couple of black eyes and some bruising is not going to cause them any bother, so they literally do not care at all. If he was somebody important (say a foreign government official or a TV personality) then they might be forced to care. But they usually are not important people, just average tourists.

Edited by pokerspiv

Everything is connected with everything. It starts with education. Good educations results in good jobs with better income, better infrastructure, better social responsibilities etc etc and no females interested in old Farangs, prices many Farangs could not handle, no fun and easy going the way it is. That said does not mean I have something against good education, just saying most would be not be here, if it would be like that...

Edited by Birdman

Bring order in the prices charged by the Immigration Office in Samui is not the order of the day Posted Image

You are referring to one of the most notorious immigration offices in the country. Like most anything in Samui, for some bizarre reason the state and federal government seems to have little or no interest in what is going on. Does anyone know why that is? Has Samui been granted some sort of immunity or free state status? Why is it the only region where there is virtually zero law and order, nor governmental supervision? I know many will say "mafia". But, why not just throw the entire lot into federal prison? If there was a will, there would be a way. Guess there is no will.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bring order in the prices charged by the Immigration Office in Samui is not the order of the day coffee1.gif

You are referring to one of the most notorious immigration offices in the country. Like most anything in Samui, for some bizarre reason the state and federal government seems to have little or no interest in what is going on. Does anyone know why that is? Has Samui been granted some sort of immunity or free state status? Why is it the only region where there is virtually zero law and order, nor governmental supervision? I know many will say "mafia". But, why not just throw the entire lot into federal prison? If there was a will, there would be a way. Guess there is no will.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please read the prices quoted on the office wall in Samui they are the same as anywhere in Thailand. if you are stupid and pay more up to you.

Because we can't do anything about the law-breakers, but they can.

If they enforced license requirements, drink-driving and speeding laws for a start, the roads here would be much safer.

50% of the cars here would be off the road for a start, because most people do not have a valid license to drive them.

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. We like freedom to not wear a helmet and drive flat out but then again the side effect can be death broken bones holiday nightmare on the other hand if police were sitting around all day with speed guns, fining everybody for drink driving doing constant helmet checks then people would be constantly either in the police station or in jaik for drink driving. constantly paying speed fines extra. i think there would be more unhappy people saying " i did not do nothing" going home pissed off than the people who have had crashes. The thing is that samui is run like an Ampher and not like a city even though it has been given Nakorn status but the police at the same time want people to be happy. it is a shame thaty allot of us depend on the police to look after ourselves. if we all obiayed the laws then we ourselves would have less accidents.

Being a good driver is being aware of other bad drivers or just drivers on the road and to drive at a safe speed in the right part of the road using indicator and thing to avoid accidents. If you are watching all the time and not playing on the phone driving a safe speed not being drunk then u should be propared for the meth man driving his truck speeding towards you. of coarse there are some exeptions but we ourelves can cut the fatality rate down.i know it wont stop all crashes and fatlitiees as some of them the victims can do oting about but thats life, and death

like the car that killed those 2 innocent people walking down the road. That was bad luck for the 2 ivolved

you really think all accidents are caused by drugs or drinking, seen plenty of accidents in the good ol USA with all there rules, regulations, traffic stops, cameras, etc. Life is full of risks and dangers, I just do not need a government nanny state to protect me and give me the false illusion of safety. If you want freedom there are risks, if you are un able to handle the risks that go along with not living in a police state go back to England or some other nanny state.

We like freedom to not wear a helmet and drive flat out but

I wear a helmet and I drive within the speed limit. Please don't make assumptions about the behaviour of others when you are talking about yourself.

in the good ol USA with all there rules, regulations, traffic stops, cameras, etc.

And a road fatality rate far, far lower than Thailand's.

Please read the prices quoted on the office wall in Samui they are the same as anywhere in Thailand. if you are stupid and pay more up to you.

Good luck getting your visa extension then.