Koh Samui to tackle tourism problems

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not once had anything to do with ladyboys in my entire life.

You need to get out more.

I meet them as cashiers at Tesco, BigC, Seven, my Thai neighbours "girlfriend".

If you call that having something to do with someone, I certainly have something to do with all living creatures in some way or in another way. Also with the giant octopus on the sea ground east of Japan

Unless by "local mafia" they are talking about the taxi mafia, I assume they have not actually asked the tourists what they think are the biggest problems? The hotels frequently ask the tourists, and the taxi mafia is always at the top of the list.

Further, I wonder why sea and beach pollution is not even mentioned? Chaweng beach and the sea, Samui's main tourist attraction, is not exactly getting any cleaner, and how could it, since we still do not have a single functioning sewage treatment plant on the island?

Yet small vessels will still head to the full moon party tonight in these high winds...

Yet small vessels will still head to the full moon party tonight in these high winds...

money number one! Mind you, you would think that potential passengers might take a look at the rough seas and decide for themselves. No ones forcing them to make the trip over there

More often than not, and especially at night, you cannot see the rough sea. It may be relatively calm near the beach, yet big waves out at the middle between the islands, where the waves are not obstructed. Further, the wind can be hard to judge. Offshore wind may make it calm at the beach, but not out at sea etc. Last but not least, many if not most tourists have no knowledge of the sea, the weather's effect on the sea or boats.

There are many problems Samui faces but one of the Biggest is the Taxi Mafia and local want to be Farong mafia... Ban all taxi'a and put in a Public Non Mafia controlled bus system... One Meager problem solved..

Water is another one... Desalination Desalination Desalination....

Waste is also one Biggy....

Trafic is Bad... Yes.. So many people do not obey any of the traffic laws... Parking in the middle of the street and holding up traffic... Self centered A holes... More honest and not lazy traffic police are needed ... a lot more . Fine all those losers

Road repair.... Fix the freaking roads already... Taxes, This is what they are for....

The list goes on and on...

The Island is changing and growing at a fast pace and the local officials need to get off there Butt and take out some of the money they have been hoarding and put it back into the island...

Everyone wants to live a safe and happy life here on Samui...

• Like 2

Samui is an absolutely fantastic place, but there's no place on earth that can't be improved, so hopefully this meeting highlights some areas to be improved. Sure, probably a waste of time (like everywhere else on earth, not just Thailand), but what can it hurt?

• Like 1

Two British men are killed after 'out of control' truck smashes into them on Thailand road

The roads in Samui are out of control. There is absolutely no traffic enforcement of any kind. It results in up to 30 road deaths per month, on Samui alone. Most are on scooters. The police and the government absolutely refuse to do anything to improve the situation. No speed limits, no drunk driving tests, no helmet requiremement laws that are enforced etc. Thailand has completely failed, when it comes to traffic enforcement and saftey standards, and it has resulted in one of the highest fatality rates per capita, in the world.

This is just one of many accidents that happen on samui, daily. Last week, a taxi ran into two tourists on a scooter in Maenam, killing them both. The taxi driver died too. If there is ever going to be a solution to this problem, it will start with policing. Right now, the police on samui are utterly useless. They are not a law enforcement agency, but rather a revenue collection agency. There is absolute indifference from Yingluck and the entire government. Samui is treated as the forgotten child.

Unless by "local mafia" they are talking about the taxi mafia, I assume they have not actually asked the tourists what they think are the biggest problems? The hotels frequently ask the tourists, and the taxi mafia is always at the top of the list.

Further, I wonder why sea and beach pollution is not even mentioned? Chaweng beach and the sea, Samui's main tourist attraction, is not exactly getting any cleaner, and how could it, since we still do not have a single functioning sewage treatment plant on the island?

Why has the government never even considered a waste water treatment facility, and a real sewer system? Is the govt. really that broke, and if so why are they spending 200 billion baht on a silly rice pledging scheme, when one of their top tourism spots has several tons of waste emptied into the sea, daily? How can the waters be kept clean, when the most basic of precautions is consistently overlooked? Does anybody care? Will Thailand ever learn to care about their environment? In comparison to the Maldives, or the Seychelles, from an environmental point of view, this place is in the Stone Age.

A strong local hoteliers association along with positive input from expats and locals would help.. thumbsup.gif

I totally agree. The question is who have the balls to take the first step to set up this association and who would like to joine it. So come out sombody, I will give my full respect and partisipate .

A strong local hoteliers association along with positive input from expats and locals would help.. thumbsup.gif

I totally agree. The question is who have the balls to take the first step to set up this association and who would like to joine it. So come out sombody, I will give my full respect and partisipate .

Why waste your time, it won't make the slightest difference. wink.png

Two British men are killed after 'out of control' truck smashes into them on Thailand road

The roads in Samui are out of control. There is absolutely no traffic enforcement of any kind. It results in up to 30 road deaths per month, on Samui alone. Most are on scooters. The police and the government absolutely refuse to do anything to improve the situation. No speed limits, no drunk driving tests, no helmet requiremement laws that are enforced etc. Thailand has completely failed, when it comes to traffic enforcement and saftey standards, and it has resulted in one of the highest fatality rates per capita, in the world.

This is just one of many accidents that happen on samui, daily. Last week, a taxi ran into two tourists on a scooter in Maenam, killing them both. The taxi driver died too. If there is ever going to be a solution to this problem, it will start with policing. Right now, the police on samui are utterly useless. They are not a law enforcement agency, but rather a revenue collection agency. There is absolute indifference from Yingluck and the entire government. Samui is treated as the forgotten child.

Regarding the two unfortunate people that died in those sad circumstances (RIP to them both and condolences to the families)- but sorry, accidents do happen. However, this post (and the next one) then goes on to slam everything about Thais.

Here we go again.

It's the old "Samui is corrupt, the government does not care, the police are inadequate etc etc"

I rarely see a post that reads "Criminal tourists come to Samui to break the law!"

It is easy to blame all of the scammers - because they are in the minority.

There are speed limits on the island - how many of YOU break them?

There are laws regarding drink driving - how many of YOU break them?

There are laws stating that a valid International/Thai driving licence is required to drive here - how many of YOU have one?

There are laws about wearing a crash helmet here (and they are enforced) - how many of YOU do not wear one?

There are laws regarding work permits - how many of YOU have a different work permit for every job that you do?

There are lots of laws regarding tax - personal, house tax, company tax, etc etc - how many of YOU do not pay all of your taxes? (These are the taxes that pay for more police!)

To a lesser or greater degree - many of us break the law.

BUT we should not put the blame on the policing of the laws - the real answer lies in the law breakers.

Why is is the fault of the police that a milion or so tourists come to the island and many of them do not keep the law?

Why is it the fault of the police that a hundred thousand or so of 'residents' (many illegal) break the law?

I do not know how many police there are on Samui (can someone please tell me? Less than 200 I would guess) but why should you expect them to tell you what to do?

The solution is NOT the police. Is not the real solution about public responsibility? Sadly - many people come to Thailand because it is a relaxed, easy going place - and they can break the law and get away with it.

Spidermike007 - if you have never broken the law here - I wholeheartedly apologise to you. However, most people that I have seen in my 13 years on Samui do break the law almost every day. However, most people decide to break only the minor laws - until something goes wrong. In all of my dealings with the police on Samui I have found them to be professional and helpful (with only one exception)

Let us try and hit the problem - not the solution!

Isn't all that what the police are paid to do?

If they don't do their job why do you think people should care about the law?

Quite simple, police have a crackdown on certain laws that are flavour of the day, or the most important and things do change for the better. Seems to work in every Western country.

Just do their bloody jobs would be a good start.

Edited by FDog
  • Like 2

Quite simple, police have a crackdown on certain laws that are flavour of the day, or the most important and things do change for the better. Seems to work in every Western country.

Typical knee jerk reaction.

We are not in a Western country. Most of the population here do not earn enough money to pay taxes. Taxes fund the police in a western country. This is a third world country. Get over that and behave responsibly and things might improve. Do not bring the standards of your old country and expect them to exist here.

Not same same.

Personally, I would rather the police stop the murders/rapes/drug trafficking and the more serious crimes than trying to arrest 80% (or so) of the people on the island for not wearing a seat belt/crash helmets/no insurance.

For the tourists and others without the proper documentation/law requisits - sorry - but why is that a police problem? Just arrest them on arrival?

Amazing farangs.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Typical knee jerk reaction.

We are not in a Western country. Most of the population here do not earn enough money to pay taxes. Taxes fund the police in a western country. This is a third world country. Get over that and behave responsibly and things might improve. Do not bring the standards of your old country and expect them to exist here.

Not same same.

Personally, I would rather the police stop the murders/rapes/drug trafficking and the more serious crimes than trying to arrest 80% (or so) of the people on the island for not wearing a seat belt/crash helmets/no insurance.

For the tourists and others without the proper documentation/law requisits - sorry - but why is that a police problem? Just arrest them on arrival?

Amazing farangs.

It's a police problem because it is illegal. Do you think the police are really stopping murders/rapes/drug trafficking? Perhaps it is because the police don't do their job that people think they can get away with those 'bigger' crimes. And do so quite often.

Are there any countries without police? The police are there to do a job. If they don't want to do the job because of lack of money or for whatever reason then don't become a policeman. Their job is not to simply collect charity money from businesses. Or is it.

• Like 1

It's a police problem because it is illegal. Do you think the police are really stopping murders/rapes/drug trafficking? Perhaps it is because the police don't do their job that people think they can get away with those 'bigger' crimes. And do so quite often.

Are there any countries without police? The police are there to do a job. If they don't want to do the job because of lack of money or for whatever reason then don't become a policeman. Their job is not to simply collect charity money from businesses. Or is it.

You do not get it do you Fdog?

You are blaming the police because criminals break the law? I do not know your personal circumstances, but I would guess that you break the law at least once a week. Do you really want the police to arrest you 'because it is their job'?

Do you really believe that in your 'Western Utopia' countries that criminals do not get away with breaking the law? In the UK now - the police do not go after people speeding on motorways, because too many drivers do it, and there are not enough police! And that is a country where people pay millions of GBP in taxes more than in Thailand, and there is a much larger police force. (The population of both countries is similar!)

To follow your argument - if the police in the UK do not stop speeding motorists because they are too busy, then they should not become policemen? Get real pal.

Get off your soap box and think about reality.

Murderers, rapists,drug traffickers etc get away with it in EVERY country. Stop picking on the Thais.

To summerise - the title of this topic is "koh-samui-to-tackle-tourism-problems". In my humple opinion, it is the tourists that are the problem. Many of them come here and break the law (not all of them - but a lot).

Sadly lots of businesses on the island encourage this - because it is a tourist island. I have not found one single scooter renter that insists on a valid licence before they rent out. Try that in the UK.

The problem is tourism - so how do WE police it? (Not the poor buggers that are underpaid and over-worked - and yes thay take tea money - it is ingrained in the system. They could not keep their job if they did not do it.)

I suggest that

Every scooter rental company asks for a copy of a vaild licence before they rent the scooter. They then tell the renter that they will take the bike back if the renter does not wear a helmet. No refunds.

Every car rental company asks for a copy of the International driving permit and then tell the renter that they will take the car back if they do not put their seat belt on. No refunds.

Every bar checks it's customers to see if they are drunk before they serve them (it is law in the UK to NOT sell alcohol to a drunk person).

While we are at it (a favourite of mine) everyone in a bar or restarant that is smoking is arrested immediately. It is against the law - even if the restaurant/bar has open sides.

This will happen when hell freezes over. And by then all of the tourists will have gone and a hundred thousand people would be without jobs. (Or whatever)

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

You do not get it do you Fdog?

You are blaming the police because criminals break the law? I do not know your personal circumstances, but I would guess that you break the law at least once a week. Do you really want the police to arrest you 'because it is their job'?

Do you really believe that in your 'Western Utopia' countries that criminals do not get away with breaking the law? In the UK now - the police do not go after people speeding on motorways, because too many drivers do it, and there are not enough police! And that is a country where people pay millions of GBP in taxes more than in Thailand, and there is a much larger police force. (The population of both countries is similar!)

To follow your argument - if the police in the UK do not stop speeding motorists because they are too busy, then they should not become policemen? Get real pal.

Get off your soap box and think about reality.

Murderers, rapists,drug traffickers etc get away with it in EVERY country. Stop picking on the Thais.

To summerise - the title of this topic is "koh-samui-to-tackle-tourism-problems". In my humple opinion, it is the tourists that are the problem. Many of them come here and break the law (not all of them - but a lot).

Sadly lots of businesses on the island encourage this - because it is a tourist island. I have not found one single scooter renter that insists on a valid licence before they rent out. Try that in the UK.

The problem is tourism - so how do WE police it? (Not the poor buggers that are underpaid and over-worked - and yes thay take tea money - it is ingrained in the system. They could not keep their job if they did not do it.)

I suggest that

Every scooter rental company asks for a copy of a vaild licence before they rent the scooter. They then tell the renter that they will take the bike back if the renter does not wear a helmet. No refunds.

Every car rental company asks for a copy of the International driving permit and then tell the renter that they will take the car back if they do not put their seat belt on. No refunds.

Every bar checks it's customers to see if they are drunk before they serve them (it is law in the UK to NOT sell alcohol to a drunk person).

While we are at it (a favourite of mine) everyone in a bar or restarant that is smoking is arrested immediately. It is against the law - even if the restaurant/bar has open sides.

This will happen when hell freezes over. And by then all of the tourists will have gone and a hundred thousand people would be without jobs. (Or whatever)

1. I am not your pal.

2. It is not up to you or anyone else to do the job of the police. They are not 'poor buggers'. They chose to be police and it is THEIR job to do it, not yours. Leave the policing to the police and if they can't or won't do it then yes, they are to blame.

My western utopia doesn't exist, I do not live in a western country.

Edit: I have no idea of what law I would break once a week. I haven't broken a law for quite some years, that I know of. Perhaps J walking once about 6 months ago.

Edited by FDog
  • Like 1

Not sure why Tropicalevo is so fanatical about supporting the police here, even to the point of justifying their corruption. Did you marry into their family or something?

The police on Samui are nothing more than an organised crime syndicate. They are not "too busy" to stop crime. They can be found on most nights in Lamai smoking methamphetamine and getting drunk near the pier at the Northern end of Lamai beach.

The problems with criminal farangs etc that you are going on about are problems precisely because those farangs come to Samui because of its lawless reputation. Which is, again, a result of the utter failure of the Thai government to get honest policemen in Samui.

Edited by pokerspiv

coffee1.gif These types "Bash Samui / Thailand" topics are always a little boring, blink.pngwhistling.gif

I would say a majority of tourists or even those of us who live here never run into any problems with Police or anything else for that matter They enjoy their holiday ! thumbsup.gif .... that's why so many come back.... and many of us live here.

It always seems to be a few that have problems and that is no doubt because of drinking too much or in the drug world... and show no respect to the locals. Then they try to blanket the whole place as being bad, it is not!!!

Just about every day, I watch UK Sky news, Headlines : Murders, bad roads, poor hospital services, motor car accidents in the news just about everyday.... and it's the same in every country... I'm sure... wink.png Amazing but true! w00t.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

hi all

nothing wrong with the police on samui

great bunch of people most of them

if the government actually paid them a decent salary maybe [maybe ] they would do a little more work

ive been arrested on samui and found the court system as good as other western countries [and probably more fair ]

most tourists coming to samui love it here and many repeatedly come back

ive lived here for many years and like the system in thailand

people who dont like the way thailand works shouldnt come /stay here

and then complain that its not the same as their home country

go home all you moaners /whingers

Were this all true what a wonderful place this would be.

I would say a majority of tourists or even those of us who live here never run into any problems with Police or anything else for that matter They enjoy their holiday ! thumbsup.gif .... that's why so many come back.... and many of us live here.

It always seems to be a few that have problems and that is no doubt because of drinking too much or in the drug world... and show no respect to the locals. Then they try to blanket the whole place as being bad, it is not!!!

Everyone who comes to Samui has to deal with drunk and reckless driving, which is a continual problem precisely because the local police refuse to do anything about it. Many people on the roads do not even have a valid license. Hell, I see 12 year old boys riding their motorcycles with no helmet, using 1 hand to steer while texting on their phones every single day.

There are fatal road accidents every day in Samui. And a big part of the blame for that lies with the police unwillingness to enforce road rules, end of story.

Edited by pokerspiv

Last time I went to samui, admittedly we stayed in chaweng, I witnessed four different brawls / assaults (westerners on westerners) and numerous lone drunks stumbling down the main road hassling everyone.

One bald headed cockney who, whenever I saw him during the week we were there, always had dried blood on his face and was absolutely hammered stopping at every person he came across and doing things like taking a sip from their drink.

This kind of stuff can happen anywhere of course. Just in my case it left a bad impression of samui. And it was due to whiteys!

• Like 1