Ethnic Swing

Pattaya28

Last night I sat in an open bar in Walking Street viewing the many many "walkers".

15 years ago a vast majority were white Europeans / Australians / North Americans.

Now, These are a very small minority.

Indians Chinese and Arabs are now that vast majority.

In 15 years time, what will the vast majority be I wonder.

Walking st. is a past tense. Not worth 1 step these days. In other words: KEEP ON WALKING.

Agreed. But for an occasional chat with some "mama-sans" (some were my young girl-friends some 20 years ago), I still go.

They find no pleasure of those "tour-groups" herded like sheep up and down Walking-Street. They are directed in some select "Go-Go's" as part of a package-travel-arrangement and are not free to exit the group to head for a bar at their liking along the way.

To them, those are not "Quality-Tourists". We then usually claim that "in the old days" it was better. After that, I can go wherever I want, but the "mama-sans" (my young girl-friends some 20 years before), stay where they are, with no more hope of escape. Sad.

Cheers

I would disagree, the majority of tourists on walking street are Japanese, then Arabs and then Russian.

Very few Chinese people in Pattaya.

Wish more Chinese would come and start opening some decent Chinese restaurants.

The rest from the west are located around the central hub.

I think the big factor is money, 5/10 years ago the European exchange rates were millionaire. First time I came here I was getting 68/69 baht for a pound £600/£700 was enough for a month. Now I spend almost double because of the rate.

I think over the next 5/10 years it will reverse back to Europeans

I would disagree, the majority of tourists on walking street are Japanese, then Arabs and then Russian.

I think the big factor is money, 5/10 years ago the European exchange rates were millionaire. First time I came here I was getting 68/69 baht for a pound £600/£700 was enough for a month. Now I spend almost double because of the rate.

The Chinese out-number all other individual-ethnic tourists.

And that's a fact!

And there are very few Japanese tourists here in Pattaya.

Your Quote "Very few Chinese tourists in Pattaya" cheesy.gif

Edited by Pattaya28
  • Like 1

There was a time when Pattaya was refered to as an entity of its own, somehow disconnected from the rest of Thailand. With an international flair. Haven't heared this anymore for years. Too many Thais in the city is the problem, who are not working for tourism and in prostitution.

• Like 1

There was a time when Pattaya was refered to as an entity of its own, somehow disconnected from the rest of Thailand. With an international flair. Haven't heared this anymore for years. Too many Thais in the city is the problem, who are not working for tourism and in prostitution.

To many Thais in a Thai city in THAIland? Imagine that.

• Like 1

Chinese tourism has increased by 90% the authorities have said.

Common sense would tell you the a vast number would be in Pattaya as part of tour groups.

They are the largest tourist number after Malaysia.

Common sense would tell you the a vast number would be in Pattaya as part of tour groups.

The "Authorities" also say that Thailand is a hub for: Tourism, rice, hair-cuts, and on and on and on.........

There have been a lot of demographic changes in Pattaya since I first came here 7 years ago. Walking Street now seems like Russia Street (especially the southern end), next to this there appears to be a mini Istanbul. Write Europeans, Americans, Australians are indeed a minority. I have a friend who goes there regularly, who refuses to accept what has happened, very strange indeed.

There have been a lot of demographic changes in Pattaya since I first came here 7 years ago. Walking Street now seems like Russia Street (especially the southern end), next to this there appears to be a mini Istanbul. Write Europeans, Americans, Australians are indeed a minority. I have a friend who goes there regularly, who refuses to accept what has happened, very strange indeed.

I have no problem being around different nationalities. I have met so many Russians and people from different countries here. I often find myself surrounded by very different nationalities although they hardly know I'm just an American. I just learn to live with it. Pattaya is a very diverse place.

The "Authorities" also say that Thailand is a hub for: Tourism, rice, hair-cuts, and on and on and on.........

Do you dare debate that Thailand is not the hub of hair cuts?

Ironic (or maybe the word is 'inevitable') that those who utilize the attraction have themselves become an attraction to the 'new' tourists.

Much the same in Bangla where, as someone enjoying the nightlife for it's intended purpose, you're likely to have your photo taken by others who would not dare enter the sois or ever spend a satang there.

The Walking St or Bangla customer has become as much a part of the novelty as the venues are. It's what they come to see.

• Like 1