Opening A Restaurant

Hello,

I am looking into opening a restaurant.

does anyone know if there are Auctions? or areas in bangkok where restaurant equipment is sold?

tables, chairs, plates, glasses, stoves, fridges, frying pans, etc etc etc

Auctions would be best, but second hand resellers are good too.

also does anyone know someone in the Restaurant design and building business here?

preferably cheap, I am looking at opening something small, but still cool and trendy looking

so the budget is not that big.,

if anyone has any recommendations on any of the above , I would really appreciate it, thank you

if you cannot even locate equipment what hope is there of you actually following through or being successful?

try JJ Market. also a shop on Rama IV a kilometer from tesco lotus towards onut.

there are plenty of restaurants going out of business if you look around,your big problem is going to find competent staff.

where are you thinking of opening,keith floyd tried it and failed.

• Like 2

if you cannot even locate equipment what hope is there of you actually following through or being successful?

try JJ Market. also a shop on Rama IV a kilometer from tesco lotus towards onut.

there are plenty of restaurants going out of business if you look around,your big problem is going to find competent staff.

He's right, staffing is a major issue. Even if you pay the highest rate and you treat them well it is no guarantee of any loyalty. If they don't turn up they hold your business to ransom. If they pixx off a customer and you attempt to rectify they (the staff) will run away (loss of face).

Another issue can be jealous competition who will slurr you by all available means to stop you from becoming successful. This is equally true if both Thai and Farang competitors.

Next. Location, location, location.

Finally how many covers do you need to sell to pay the rent, pay the staff and take a decent salary?

Good luck.... It is a really really tough business to break even

• Like 1

staffing is the key issue.

My ex was recruiter/manager for startups.

she would work with new owners (usually always farang) to help them staff their restaurants and liase with them over training to make sure expectations and job descriptions were clear.

then once the restaurant had hit about the 6 month mark and everything was in place she would move on tho the next project.

thus far, everywhere she has opened is still going and one or two have brought her back to open subsequent ventures.

sounds like your project is too small for this however.

regarding staffing problems if you only sell rice,noodles and som tam,provide a mirror and nail clippers you should manage.

if you are down in patts.one of my old acquaintance's in wales moved there and opened up an auction house he would definately help.

There are some big second hand furniture places along Ramkhamhaeng road. They would have what you are looking for.

thank you

thank you everyone who left a positive and informative reply.

if anyone knows someone who is looking to sell off equipment, can also contact me here.

Edited by coffeeman

The guy who owns the Duke's had owned several restaurants in the US and knew what he was doing. He came here maybe 10 years ago, opened a restaurant in Chiang Mai, in an out of the way location, and worked for a few years making it successful. At first, he did not know where to buy used equipment either.

Now, he owns succesful restaurants in Chiang Mai and the rest of the country. The odds may be against you, but if you know what you are doing, make good food and work hard, you can make it in Thailand in the restaurant business.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not knowing where to buy equipment doesn't mean you can't run one.

Why would not knowing where to buy equipment because you are new to an area have any bearing on ones success in the end ?

I am sure people have commented on this as well. But here goes. I have in the past run restaurants and bars (owned and operated) and as a business owner if you do not know much about your business area there is a good chance (nearly 100%) of failure. Upon my first venture we sat outside the retail outlet looking to buy and did head counts for one month, selecting business patterns, what time of the day was busier, traffic patterns, length of red light, sunlight angles. Then we set up shop quietly inside againg head counts, cart sizes, purchases. Next we did re-conned the area to find out where customer bases came from, looked at supply issues, equipment rentals, repair shops (if needed in a hurry), advertising advantages, etc...This all went into a business plan that took up to 2 months to prepare, having accountants look at it as well as blind tests to see if it would feasible (not guaranteeing success mind you) but just if it was feasible.

So not knowing where to buy equipment leads me to believe this person has a partner who wants to open a shop, has told them "this" is a good location all we need is the equipment and now the poster is coming here to find out if this possible.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query.

regarding not knowing where to buy equipment. this is a funny sentence indeed.

first, I have only been in Thailand 2 months, I didn't come here to open a business, I have a job already.

I have decided to open a restaurant as an investment. As I see huge potential in this city,

I don't know where to buy equipment, hire staff, setting up the business legally , contacting suppliers, pretty much everything associated with setting it up here in Thailand.

but, I have managed to set up restaurants in foreign countries before, when I didn't

A: understand the language

B: not knowing where to purchase the equipment

c: not knowing the rules and regulations of the country.

sure there were bumps, and headaches, but eventually I got it opened, and did what I know how do it.

RUN a restaurant, end of the day, once you are open, it doesnt matter if I am in USA, Africa, China or here.

the food is in the fridge, a person is hungry, we cook it,

all the foreigners who open businesses here with their thai girl friends,

are those girls trained in hospitality?

do they have years of experience in running restaurants or bars?

probably 90% of them, they speak the language and act as a translator of the farang.

I am starting my journey now in doing research, I am not just relying on members from this forum to give me all the information, on where I should look,.

I do have other avenues which I am looking down, I have a few friends who own restaurants here,

I have thai friends, I ask questions, etc.

I just posted here to expand my knowledge and perhaps pick up more information.

Im not rushing outside and opening a business tomorrow.

also, for those people who believe you need a solid business plan, marketing research figures, this, that, etc etc

that is still no recipe for success,

what you need to have is

PASSION, MOTIVATION, MONEY and experience.

we have owned 12 restaurants in 6 different countries in 30 years, so for us, its not like we don't know what we are doing.

sure I could just have my Thai friend ring a restaurant designer, and let that designer do it all!

I'll just whip out the check book and start to sign checks.

but that no fun.

for us, we like to be involved, go out and find stuff, for us the best part is the "CHASE",

the beginning, getting it set up, watch the creation come to life, build parts of the restaurants, not let someone else create your space.

sure we need local builders, but we want to be there among it all,

not looking to spend 200.000 dollars to build some flash, trendy place, and watch it drain the account.

looking to build something small, hand made, authentic and ours.

I'll find the equipment regardless. because I am motivated.

• Like 1

Not knowing where to buy equipment doesn't mean you can't run one.

Why would not knowing where to buy equipment because you are new to an area have any bearing on ones success in the end ?

bcoz if he does not have contacts in Thailand who he can ask these kind of questions he/she in trouble

If he/she cannot figure out a google search for these items, spells trouble

on and on

but I wish them luck with the restaurant

If you're struggling to find what you need in Bangkok it may be worth a trip to Pattaya. Lots of restaurants here, and lots that don't survive. There are also several shops selling second hand stainless steel kitchen equipment, which unfortunately, like so many other second hand items in Thailand, are never as cheap as you think they should be.

You could also try the local Pattaya newspaper/magazine classifieds - you can probably view them online: Pattaya Mail, Pattaya People, Pattaya Today, Pattaya Trader. If you make a trip to Pattaya then it's probably worth checking the supermarket notice boards too.

Don't forget Baht & Sold and also craigslist.com. Just had a quick look on Craigslist and someone is offering a complete stainless steel kitchen for 75,000 Baht.

For new kitchen equipment, or at least for the more expensive items, you might want to consider importing from China for example.

And of course, not forgetting ThaiVisa Classifieds....

Along the south end of Rama IV near Sukhumvit road there are some restaurant equipment supply stores in that area. I don't know if they have what are looking for, but you might give it a try or they can give you some suggestions on other places.

Please bring a Thai friend who can translate for you.

• 2 weeks later...

He's right, staffing is a major issue. Even if you pay the highest rate and you treat them well it is no guarantee of any loyalty. If they don't turn up they hold your business to ransom. If they pixx off a customer and you attempt to rectify they (the staff) will run away (loss of face).

Another issue can be jealous competition who will slurr you by all available means to stop you from becoming successful. This is equally true if both Thai and Farang competitors.

Next. Location, location, location.

Finally how many covers do you need to sell to pay the rent, pay the staff and take a decent salary?

Good luck.... It is a really really tough business to break even

This is so true... we found the slurring part out the hard way... some people are so ugly!