webfact

WATER MEGA-PROJECT
Dam planning meets fierce resistance

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation
Phrae

30208925-01_big.jpg

Villagers near Yom River expel EIA consultants

BANGKOK: -- The government's ambitious plans to build the Lower and Upper Yom dams in Phrae province's tambon Sa-Iap may never leave the drawing board, due to fierce opposition from local residents, say critics.

Although work on the dams - among 28 to be built under the water-management mega-scheme - is ready to begin, hundreds of villagers have heavily opposed the project. They have even gone as far as expelling representatives of Panya Consultants - the company hired to assess the project's impact.

Three representatives from Panya Consultants recently visited the area to explain to villagers that the company was no longer involved in the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the Lower and Upper Yom dams, which will be constructed by ITD-Power China JV, the company awarded the dam contract.

Experts from Panya Consultants were previously hired by the Royal Irrigation Department to conduct the EIA report before construction went ahead. The department allegedly spent Bt80 million on conducting the EIA study.

When locals learned that a group of representatives from the company was visiting the house of the village chief, they announced the visit via megaphone asking villagers to storm the house and expel the three consultants from the area. As the number of protesters grew, some of the villagers shouted abuse at the consultants, while others demanded to know what their intentions were.

"Why are you here? We are happy with our lives without this dam," an old village woman asked the three consultants.

Locals in the area of the dam's construction site are concerned that the government will begin construction of the dam very soon. The site of the Lower and Upper Yom dams is in fact not far from the site of the proposed Kaeng Sue Ten dam, which local villagers fought fiercely against for more than 24 years, forcing the government to shelve the plan.

If constructed, the Lower Yom Dam would retain 166 million cubic metres of water, while Upper Yom Dam would hold in the region of 500 million cubic metres. The cost of constructing these two dams is estimated to be over Bt15 billion.

Before the Panya representatives were expelled from the village, villagers forced them to go to the village temple and swear in front of Buddha that they would never return to the village with the intention of carrying out the EIA study.

However, tensions escalated when one of Panya's female consultants said she could not bow to the villagers' demands.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot follow your demands. Everyone has their own responsibilities and duties - I cannot swear to this," the women told hundreds of villagers.

A few minutes later, a male villager brought a bowl of holy water and splashed it over her from head to foot. The woman remained calm and after sometime finally gave in to the villagers' demands and swore an oath never to return as an EIA consultant.

Anti-dam activist Prasitthiphorn Kal-onsri said he was concerned that the clash between the villagers and the contractor of the dam project would escalate because villagers would not allow any agency involved in the dam project to enter the village. "If the contractor or state agencies try to visit the village now, they will almost certainly be expelled by Sa-Iap villagers," he said.

Instead of building the two dams, he said the government should consider constructing 77 small reservoirs to retain 2.1 billion cubic metres of water from the Yom River's tributaries. Another 1.5 billion cubic metres of water could be retained through smaller water-retention projects along the river. This option would cause less impact on local communities and natural resources, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-24

A few minutes later, a male villager brought a bowl of holy water and splashed it over her from head to foot. The woman remained calm and after sometime finally gave in to the villagers' demands and swore an oath never to return as an EIA consultant.

Anti-dam activist Prasitthiphorn Kal-onsri said he was concerned that the clash between the villagers and the contractor of the dam project would escalate because villagers would not allow any agency involved in the dam project to enter the village. "If the contractor or state agencies try to visit the village now, they will almost certainly be expelled by Sa-Iap villagers," he said. ....

And I bet the government dogs will be back with snipers and bounty hunters to mysteriously kill the heads of those villagers...crying.gifcrying.gif

Anti-dam activist Prasitthiphorn Kal-onsri said he was concerned that the clash between the villagers and the contractor of the dam project would escalate because villagers would not allow any agency involved in the dam project to enter the village. "If the contractor or state agencies try to visit the village now, they will almost certainly be expelled by Sa-Iap villagers," he said. ....

And I bet the government dogs will be back with snipers and bounty hunters to mysteriously kill the heads of those villagers...crying.gifcrying.gif

The villagers don't sound a very peaceful bunch do they?

Quote //

Instead of building the two dams, he said the government should consider constructing 77 small reservoirs to retain 2.1 billion cubic metres of water from the Yom River's tributaries. Another 1.5 billion cubic metres of water could be retained through smaller water-retention projects along the river. This option would cause less impact on local communities and natural resources, he added.

//

Interesting that alternatives have clearly been thought through. Where are the feasibility studies? Who says 2 dams are better than 77 smaller lesser impact projects?

• Like 2

I would suspect they have every right to be protecting what belongs to them from those who have likely never been to the place and have only put together plans from maps.

If the Govt had started the process of planning flood protection 2 years ago when they first passed the legislation instead of leaving it till the time had almost run out for obtaining and using the money then they would have been able to consult with local communities and get on the ground ideas and information then realistic plans could have been made.

I would suspect they have every right to be protecting what belongs to them from those who have likely never been to the place and have only put together plans from maps.

If the Govt had started the process of planning flood protection 2 years ago when they first passed the legislation instead of leaving it till the time had almost run out for obtaining and using the money then they would have been able to consult with local communities and get on the ground ideas and information then realistic plans could have been made.

Listen to villagers, and then losing face??? That won't happen... too much false reputation at stake for those ignorant government dogs...

• Like 1

"A few minutes later, a male villager brought a bowl of holy water and splashed it over her from head to foot. The woman remained calm and after sometime finally gave in to the villagers' demands and swore an oath never to return as an EIA consultant."

What the villagers didn't realize was that she had her fingers crossed while taking the oath.

• Like 1

"A few minutes later, a male villager brought a bowl of holy water and splashed it over her from head to foot. The woman remained calm and after sometime finally gave in to the villagers' demands and swore an oath never to return as an EIA consultant."

What the villagers didn't realize was that she had her fingers crossed while taking the oath.

And on top of that. The snipers are ready and waiting, thirsty for villagers' dead bodies...

As soon as a saw China in the name of the JV, I had doubts about the validity of any environmental impact study. As much as we may wish to lambaste western engineering and construction firms, they are subject to scrutiny and are usually held accountable. Chinese firms are not.

• Like 1

As soon as a saw China in the name of the JV, I had doubts about the validity of any environmental impact study. As much as we may wish to lambaste western engineering and construction firms, they are subject to scrutiny and are usually held accountable. Chinese firms are not.

Cheap products, cheap engineering materials, guaranteed failure to break....crazy.gif

I worked with her before, She is very experienced in carrying out EIAs all over the world. The dam on the Yom River was proposed by the King as part of his three phase solution to the flooding problem. To all intents and purposes the EIA is only an update on the original Yom River Dam proposal which should have been built under the King's recommendation over 10 years ago however the villagers caused so much problem it was shelved. The 2010 floods in Bangkok were caused because the rains fell at exceedingly high levels in the Yom River basin, and because there was no dam to store the excessive rain fall, all the water headed for Bangkok causing widespread flooding. Since the dam was recommended by the King as part of His Master Plan the villagers should respect his royal guidance and expertise.

In a democracy, the government has the right to resume land from private ownership for projects for the greater good. The villagers may be unhappy, and they have the right to protest, to compensation and to vote for another government come election.

They do NOT have the right to impede others going about their lawful business, to hold them against their will or to assault them - and pouring a bucket of "holy" water over someone is just as much assault as if it were a bucket of piss.

• Like 1

I wouldn't doubt that they have reason to be worried and it's quite possible that those who want to build it don't care what they think but I don't think that sort of behaviour is called for. Being forced to swear in front of Buddha can't mean much anyway can it?

I don't really understand why the representatives were there if they were no longer responsible for the EIA as the OP doesn't say. You can't really base a project that affects a large part of the nation just on whether those in a small village want it. You do need to assess the impact on them and their environment before making a decision and maybe that's why they were talking to the village head. You can't expect a reasonable decision based on not ever having been there as you point out yourself.

I worked with her before, She is very experienced in carrying out EIAs all over the world. The dam on the Yom River was proposed by the King as part of his three phase solution to the flooding problem. To all intents and purposes the EIA is only an update on the original Yom River Dam proposal which should have been built under the King's recommendation over 10 years ago however the villagers caused so much problem it was shelved. The 2010 floods in Bangkok were caused because the rains fell at exceedingly high levels in the Yom River basin, and because there was no dam to store the excessive rain fall, all the water headed for Bangkok causing widespread flooding. Since the dam was recommended by the King as part of His Master Plan the villagers should respect his royal guidance and expertise.

Thai governments have been trying to dam the Kaeng Sue Ten for almost 3 decades. Reasons being Teak and govt. dam contract profits. Like the man said, there are other options than just wiping out the various villages. Might be a thought there to investigate unless, you believe everyone should just follow what K.Plodprasop said when he expressed the view that it doesn't matter what the people think, it's going to be done anyway. Nice eh?

This won't be the only dispute in the implementation of the proposed water management scheme. Environmental assessment studies have not even been carried out. More chaos ahead, chaps !

You appear to know what I seek? . I have tried to find out where the other mega projects are going to be. Have posted question here on TV several times. Do you have any idea or a link to share please? Interested in proposed dams as if one should be planned in my vicinity it could be very bad for my wealth.

Is there an overall plan for water management that can be viewed by TV denizens?

I wish to move to Tap Han In to live in the family village eventually, but not if it is flooded every year.

Is there an overall plan for water management that can be viewed by TV denizens?

I wish to move to Tap Han In to live in the family village eventually, but not if it is flooded every year.

Huh? 4th post. We are not understanding any of that! Edited by iancnx

Good to see the villagers standing up for themselves.

When more of the Thai populace would do the same when corrupt officials bring half-baked/hair-brained/self serving projects to their area, it can only be a good thing for Thailand as a whole.

Give them a couple hundred baht at election time and they will forget about standing up for themselves.

The first operative phrase being "In a democracy." What about in an oligarchic kleptocracy? However you are right that throwing water and forcing the team to take an oath are forms of violence which shouldn't be condoned.

The second is "greater good." If the public doesn't trust the government's ability to assess fairly and weigh various interests and determine whose good is greater, then it won't submit so easily to the conclusion.

Last, Panya Consultants has a long history of providing rubber-stamp studies for government mega-projects. The client is the government, not the public.

In a democracy, the government has the right to resume land from private ownership for projects for the greater good. The villagers may be unhappy, and they have the right to protest, to compensation and to vote for another government come election.

They do NOT have the right to impede others going about their lawful business, to hold them against their will or to assault them - and pouring a bucket of "holy" water over someone is just as much assault as if it were a bucket of piss.

I would doubt seriously that one dam would have made a lot of difference during the 2010 floods as they were discharging water from all of the overfilled dams north of Bangkok

• Like 1

Isn't this region, firmly red country. Now of I was a ptp mp, and my party wanted to flood my teak land, I would probably get the villagers to protest too.

It's the flooding of forest land that makes it possible to remove the wood.