UK Passport app

Your old passport will be cancelled when Hong Kong recieve your application. They advise you not to plan travel untill your new passport arrives.

If you must ( emergency ) travel you will need a (ETD) Emergency Travel Document from the embassy in Bangkok.

Are you sure ? I ask as I just sent my application to Hk last week but have a business trip to kl next week - was hoping to use my existing passport. The instructions for Thai expats was that my existing passport need not be submitted with the application which I interpreted as meaning I should keep it for use whilst waiting for my new one.

Are you sure ? I ask as I just sent my application to Hk last week but have a business trip to kl next week - was hoping to use my existing passport. The instructions for Thai expats was that my existing passport need not be submitted with the application which I interpreted as meaning I should keep it for use whilst waiting for my new one.

You only send a copy because of the need to carry a passport in Thailand (lets not go into that again.)

I suggest you contact the Consular section at the embassy in Bangkok asap tommorrow.

Please report back here with the answer.

I am living in Thailand,and I am applying for my sons first British passport,he's 2 years old,and was born in Thailan,i am a UK citizen.I have looked, and downloaded the application forms from gov.uk,but cannot for the life of me find an address to send the application to???.

Any thoughts,or am I using the wrong forms?

PST.

I am living in Thailand,and I am applying for my sons first British passport,he's 2 years old,and was born in Thailan,i am a UK citizen.I have looked, and downloaded the application forms from gov.uk,but cannot for the life of me find an address to send the application to???.

As it's the first passport for a child you have to make the application in person at the British Embassy in Bangkok.

First passport applications

You must make your application in person to the British embassy in Bangkok.

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini

Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Telephone: +66 (0) 2 305 8333

Fax: +66 (0) 2 255 9278

Email: [email protected]

That's ok if you live in or near Bangkok, I have heard that they may allow to send the application by post to bangkok, but no hard evidence that it's true.

As it's the first passport for a child you have to make the application in person at the British Embassy in Bangkok.

First passport applications

You must make your application in person to the British embassy in Bangkok.

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini

Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Telephone: +66 (0) 2 305 8333

Fax: +66 (0) 2 255 9278

Email: [email protected]

That's ok if you live in or near Bangkok, I have heard that they may allow to send the application by post to bangkok, but no hard evidence that it's true.

Thanks,i was under the impression also that you can post to Bangkok.Am I right in saying that I can also use either the C2 form,or the smart application form?

PST

Yes you can use either form, obviously with the smart form you can fill it in and print it off on your computer, but at The Embassy they provide the printed forms.

I think you will need to call or email the Consular Section and see if they will allow you to post to Bangkok.

Yes you can use either form, obviously with the smart form you can fill it in and print it off on your computer, but at The Embassy they provide the printed forms.

I think you will need to call or email the Consular Section and see if they will allow you to post to Bangkok.

Thanks for your help,much appreciated.

PST

Thanks,and does my son have to travel with me if I cannot post it as its his application,or can I go alone as his father?.

PST

Hi .. Has anyone used Key Visa Pattaya to renew their British Passport. They appear to do everything for you. Hope someone can advise..Thanks

I wouldn't use Key Visa, or any other agent, to renew a British Passport, you post or courier your application direct to Hong Kong.

Oh nooooo, another question. Do I need to sign/date the passport copies I send to Hong Kong?. I have been talking to my bank about my CC payment being stopped for a security check. I am sending the authorisation form, but has anybody had the payment stopped even though they have the form?

Oh nooooo, another question. Do I need to sign/date the passport copies I send to Hong Kong?. I have been talking to my bank about my CC payment being stopped for a security check. I am sending the authorisation form, but has anybody had the payment stopped even though they have the form?

1.The 'notes' do not mention that so no. Can if you want to.

2. Have not read any reports of that.

Relax - it is only a passport renewal. Make sure your passport photos are correct.

Edited by pontious

1.The 'notes' do not mention that so no. Can if you want to.

2. Have not read any reports of that.

Relax - it is only a passport renewal. Make sure your passport photos are correct.

Just to add to Pontious's post (with which I am in agreement):-

1. You only need send a copy of your existing passport photo page to HK with your renewal application. Not the pages containing Thai & other foreign immigration visas/stamps as well. I didn't sign and date the copy I sent with my renewal application a few months ago, but this did not prove to be a problem.

2. I did call my UK bank to forewarn them of my credit card payment since this was being made in HKD in which I hadn't made CC payments before. They told me "no problem" and, true to their word, the payment went through without any hitch.

I can appreciate your anxiety, however, since this is exactly how I felt prior to submitting my application. In the event everything went pretty smoothly all things considered.

Pontious's point about satisfying the HMPO photo criteria is, however, an important one. These are detailed at https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

• Like 1

Your old passport will be cancelled when Hong Kong recieve your application. They advise you not to plan travel untill your new passport arrives.

If you must ( emergency ) travel you will need a (ETD) Emergency Travel Document from the embassy in Bangkok.

I'm not sure whether it is cancelled.. I just went out of Thailand last week to apply for a visa in my current passport as the new one is taking too long to arrive (how annoying!!), although I know that Hong Kong immigration received my new passport application over 1 month ago, and took out the payment from my card about 3 weeks ago!! I didn't get any problems using my passport (except for it being shockingly full) but it certainly wasn't cancelled!

Right, finally got a response from the consular section, they informed me old passport is cancelled upon receipt of renewal application in HK, so I need to get an emergency travel document for my trip. However, i note the comments above with interest! ETD costs about 5k and can be processed the same day. Picking mine up this afternoon, better safe than sorry.

Right, finally got a response from the consular section, they informed me old passport is cancelled upon receipt of renewal application in HK, so I need to get an emergency travel document for my trip. However, i note the comments above with interest! ETD costs about 5k and can be processed the same day. Picking mine up this afternoon, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the confirmation. To get an ETD is a costly pain but agree it is better to be safe than sorry. Certainly if you undertook a lengthy trip somewhere you might just get stuck. When the British Embassy had its own website the warning of Passport cancellation was clearly stated. Since it has moved to GOV UK it is not published anywhere. ( as far as I can see! - you need to be a detective to find anything on there)

Thanks for the confirmation. To get an ETD is a costly pain but agree it is better to be safe than sorry. Certainly if you undertook a lengthy trip somewhere you might just get stuck. When the British Embassy had its own website the warning of Passport cancellation was clearly stated. Since it has moved to GOV UK it is not published anywhere. ( as far as I can see! - you need to be a detective to find anything on there)

Out of curiosity, will realfunster be merely stamped back in his emergency travel document for the standard 30 days upon his return to Thailand from his business trip and, if so, will this in any way invalidate the existing stamps in his current cancelled passport (pending receipt of his new one)?

Out of curiosity, will realfunster be merely stamped back in his emergency travel document for the standard 30 days upon his return to Thailand from his business trip and, if so, will this in any way invalidate the existing stamps in his current cancelled passport (pending receipt of his new one)?

That is an interesting question OJAS. I do not know. From reading the ETD it appears to apply for a set route including return if applicable and dates. On return I think the ETD will become invalid and it also states in the notes that some immigration officers will keep the ETD. I imagine he shows his ( invalid passport) with his extension / stamps and they stamp that passport accordingly. Unless the experts on here know we will have to ask him on his return.

Just remembered this -maybe you have to transfer before travel. See attached

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624684-replacing-damaged-uk-passport-and-obtaining-emergency-travel-document/

Edited by pontious

realfunster needs to transfer the stamps from the old passport to the emergency passport at an immigration office and get a re-entry permit, if not he will lose his extension of stay and only get 30 days upon return.

Once he has the new passport he will have the details transferred from the emergency passport to the new passport.

realfunster needs to transfer the stamps from the old passport to the emergency passport at an immigration office and get a re-entry permit, if not he will lose his extension of stay and only get 30 days upon return.

Once he has the new passport he will have the details transferred from the emergency passport to the new passport.

Thanks Mario - precise as always. I hope realfunster reads your reply before travelling. A poster before obviously travelled with a cancelled passport. I wonder how long and who tells any immigration department the passport is not valid. How long is a piece of string I suppose.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Tried to get a visa transfer at Chaeng wattana yesterday but they requested a notarised form from the embassy- I just didn't have the time. I will try again this morning at svb and hopefully meet a more pragmatic immigration officer. Based on your comments I guess worst case scenario is run down to sing for a new non imm b.

Will let you know what transpires!

• 3 weeks later...

After some great advice on this site my new passport application was a roaring sucess. The new one has been received with no problems at all, and it only took about 3 weeks from start to finish. Now I have the hassel of changing the visa from the old to the new. Has anybody had any experience of this in Amnat Charoen?