Mercedes-Benz driver runs over man on busy Phuket road

webfact

Mercedes-Benz driver runs over man on busy Phuket road
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Police are investigating the death of an unidentified man who was hit and killed instantly last night by a Mercedes-Benz as he was crossing Phuket’s busy Thepkrasattri Road.

By the time police arrived at the scene, near the Srisoonthorn Municipality offices, the driver of the Mercedes-Benz sedan, Virat Aumarat, 56, was already en route to Thalang Police Station.

“Mr Virat asked someone to give him a ride and voluntarily presented himself to police,” said Maj Kittipoom Tinthalang.

“He has been charged with reckless driving resulting in death as a precaution while we continue our investigation,” Maj Kittipoom said.

In his statement to police, Mr Virat said that he was driving northward at about 10:30pm when a man descended the median strip to cross the road, pushing his bicycle directly into the path of the car.

“Mr Virat was unable to stop or swerve in time. The man died instantly from the impact,” Maj Kittipoom said.

At the scene, officers found that the man with the bicycle had been carrying a bottle of whisky, Maj Kittipoom added.

Kusoldharm rescue workers transported the man’s body to Thalang Hospital.

“The car has been impounded as evidence while we continue our investigation,” Maj Kittipoom said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Mercedes-Benz-driver-runs-over-man-on-busy-Phuket-road-21429.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-24

Luckily the Driver of The MerCedes BenZ was Thai so I guess he won't be fraudulently charged guilty for the accident. Bicycle + Bottle of Whiskey, I guess the poor fella just did throw himself on the road, RIP sad.png

• Like 1

"By the time police arrived at the scene, near the Srisoonthorn Municipality offices, the driver of the Mercedes-Benz sedan, Virat Aumarat, 56, was already en route to Thalang Police Station."

So the poor chap is lying in a pool of his own blood and Mr. Merc decides to hitch a ride to the nearest cop shop? Strange.

• Like 1

"By the time police arrived at the scene, near the Srisoonthorn Municipality offices, the driver of the Mercedes-Benz sedan, Virat Aumarat, 56, was already en route to Thalang Police Station."

So the poor chap is lying in a pool of his own blood and Mr. Merc decides to hitch a ride to the nearest cop shop? Strange.

Yup! Another version might be that he started to do a "runner" then changed his mind...

Will the police check the whiskey bottle for fingerprints? They SHOULD (IMHO) since it could be rather interesting should the Mercedes' driver's fingerprints show up on the bottle!

I mean... the suspicious nature of the driver leaving the scene of the accident would be enough to cast suspicions on the veracity of this entire story, in my thinking, but maybe I've just been here too long to find it easy to believe the first version of any Thai's story, especially when a death has been involved.

Yup! Another version might be that he started to do a "runner" then changed his mind...

Will the police check the whiskey bottle for fingerprints? They SHOULD (IMHO) since it could be rather interesting should the Mercedes' driver's fingerprints show up on the bottle!

I mean... the suspicious nature of the driver leaving the scene of the accident would be enough to cast suspicions on the veracity of this entire story, in my thinking, but maybe I've just been here too long to find it easy to believe the first version of any Thai's story, especially when a death has been involved.

It's "elementary my dear Pawpcorn" that the bottle of whiskey would have smashed over the road, upon the collision. Thus, very little chance of fingerprints from slivers and shards of glass, but I like your thinking. :)

Admittedly, I cast a thought as to why the driver would leave the scene to go to the police station, and suspected it may have been to arrange someone else to confess to driving.

In the end, it all just come down to money, not justice.

• Like 1

How is is reckless driving resulting in the death of a person when this drunkard simply ran in front of his car???

If you read the article again, he has been charged as a precaution while they investigate.

He will be cleared no doubt.

• Like 1

The owner will sue the widow for damage to his lights & for sobering him up after drinking hiso JW green label

Not a fair statement sounds like the guy did the right thing and it was not HIM who had the bottle of whisky it was the deceased now normally the driver does a runner but not in this case he actually went right to the Police station so to accuse him of drinking is a bit off mate, sounds more like it was an accident and he just happened to be driving a Merc.

• Like 2

The owner will sue the widow for damage to his lights & for sobering him up after drinking hiso JW green label

Not a fair statement sounds like the guy did the right thing and it was not HIM who had the bottle of whisky it was the deceased now normally the driver does a runner but not in this case he actually went right to the Police station so to accuse him of drinking is a bit off mate, sounds more like it was an accident and he just happened to be driving a Merc.

Well then! If that's the police version, then it HAS to be true, because (those of is who have lived here awhile know) the police NEVER lie, and ALWAYS tell the sparkling pure truth!!!

Why is the make of car in the headline? Had he been hit by a Nissan Micra would they have mentioned it?

You are right, in many countries a Benz is used as a taxi, "just an ordinary vehicle". on the other hand they would have played it up even more if it had been a Ferrari as we all know.

I can understand constructing a freeway in a farm animal zone and expecting cows and the like to cross in front of approaching vehicles.

What I cannot understand (without making cynical statements about Thai mental development) is constructing a freeway anywhere in Thailand and having stupid Thais crossing it unexpectedly right into the path of approaching vehicles.

It constantly beggars me how Newtons Third Law of Motion seems to have no apparent effect on the brain synapses of Thais who engage in the act of crossing any surface designated for speeding vehicles.

This story should be about a careless fool crossing a freeway and getting hit by a vehicle. It is bass-ackwards to focus on the symptom and not the cause.

Luckily the Driver of The MerCedes BenZ was Thai so I guess he won't be fraudulently charged guilty for the accident. Bicycle + Bottle of Whiskey, I guess the poor fella just did throw himself on the road, RIP sad.png

Do you think his throw on to the road it was accidental or suicidal, no doubt the Merc driver will state is was a suicidal act.

How often do we see Thais enter a roadway without looking in either direction? All the time is the answer. Doesn't matter whether they are on foot, on a motocy or in a car. It's as if they all have a death wish. RIP to the dead man. Hopefully he will come back as a creature that has a higher sense of self preservation.

Unlike most posters I will leave my mind and thoughts clear of who was responsible until after an investigation is completed! RIP to the accident victim

Your mind and thoughts must be extremely clear because there never is in the news what investigations establish.

It's my understanding this is perfectly acceptable as the driver may be subject to violence at the scene from family members or a mob. The car must stay, however until its position is noted.

It's "elementary my dear Pawpcorn" that the bottle of whiskey would have smashed over the road, upon the collision. Thus, very little chance of fingerprints from slivers and shards of glass, but I like your thinking. smile.png

Admittedly, I cast a thought as to why the driver would leave the scene to go to the police station, and suspected it may have been to arrange someone else to confess to driving.

In the end, it all just come down to money, not justice.

Edited by MacChine