Election Day In Thailand

Jai Dee

Mr. Santi indicates current political situation has affected confidence of new investors

Mr. Santi Wilassakdanond (สันติ วิลาสศักดานนท์), the Vice President of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), stated that the current political situation has affected the confidence of new investors, whereas the executives of J.P. Morgan Company believe the establishment of the national government will boost confidence in the capital market.

Mr. Santi said the political turmoil has affected the decisions of new investors who do not have good understandings about Thailand’s politics. He said many countries have expressed their interest to invest in Thailand such as Japan, where many investors would like to do business in the kingdom but the political crisis has caused the Japanese investors to slow down their decision makings.

He also views that the government has always supported the investment through the economic policies. He said he is not worried about the administration of the country, but he is concerned over the instable political situation. Therefore, in order to boost the confidence of the investors, the turmoil should end soon.

In the meantime, the Managing Director of J.P. Morgan Company, Mr. Worapat Thanyawong (วรภัศ ธันยาวงษ์), talked about the establishment of the national government. He said due to the susceptibility of the capital market and the rapid movement of the capital, therefore establishing national government will be a good solution as it will ease the tension. However, he added that it depends on the leader of the country whether he is well-accepted by both Thai and foreign investors.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 April 2006

Meanwhile, at Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department headquarters:

"Cue following headline for publication"

TAT Boss Reports Decresed Tourism Arrivals Due To Election Results

Balderdash this.... Poppycock that.... and a little bit of Drivel over there...

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 April 2006

"in

1.."

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BREAKING NEWS

PM prepares for national reconciliation - THE NATION -

"I don't want to make any comment about the strong 'no vote' in Bangkok. I already knew that was going to happen," he said.

yeah yeah, that's why he run out of the office yesterday, and postponed again a press-conference, this guy is such shaddy, moddy change of wind blower.....! More unstable than any sailing boat with no sail.

I think the truth is, he got a big schock! He still doesn't get it, and wan't to hang on?

Come on, that would be a joke! Maybe they will have to drag him out (even TRT themselves?)..

While on the surface the BKK results appear to be bad news for TRT, as currently only 8 (1,2,14,15,24,25,34,36) of the 36 TRT candidates secured 50% of the vote, I can not find a single TRT candidate that was not able to secure at least 20% of the vote in BKK. So it looks like technically they all would be awarded the seats?

Now will the TRT be willing to accept the seats where no votes had more than TRT votes?

Or

Will they view the large number of “no vote” votes as something that really needs to be delt with and be willing to discuss Mr. Thaksin leaving?

Should be interesting to hear what the TRT have to say in this evening’s press conference.

A no vote is not a wasted vote here ... gotta win and have more than 20% of the electorate from that constituency

Before you all shout, he's just using the situation now, who can tell me a bit more about him??

I think he could be the tpye of leader, more modest than Thaksin, no companys to worry about during a possible PM position and all his statements so far since he's the head of the Democrat Party, really impressed me.

His diplomas are real, not forged like someone elses... :o

I kind of think that some of the TRT folks are promoting just that .... that they will pick the next PM ... (if given the option) and not Thaksin ... but reading into what they are saying is tough!

add 27 or 28 in BKK ..... and several in Chonburi and Kanchanaburi and Rayong ... and quite a few in provincial Capitals across the country ..... even a couple in Chiang Mai .....

and no assurance that they get a result in the by-elections .....

that's ok, the Finance Ministry can afford to fund endless extremely expensive by-elections from the big tax receipt they just received from the Shin Sale. The treasury is bursting with all that baht.

Anyone else planning a "goodbye" party this week?

It's on - the moment Thaksin's off - whenever that is -

:o

Gullivar Bar - Sukhumvit Soi 5 - Friday Evening 20'00pm? I will sure join!

But let's not celebrate to early as they actually still can stick to their overall winning points,

well was not to difficult to win their own "Snap-Erections" :D

but fair point the other oppositions didn't wann join them, but I think in this case they did the right thing. Rather a view weeks mess, and a hopefully more less corrupt goverment (I'm sure people will be more careful now) in the nearby future.

But sure they are in a big mess now, but I'm optimistic as soon Thaskin resigns, there will be more talks than monologues and self dictatoral leadership.

>>>>>>>

sushiman and Insight

Gulliver's - Soi 5 - Great idea - maybe Jai Dee could pin this here on the Thailand newsclippings forum. :D

A sort on unofficial Thaivisa piss-up!

that article was very poorly written (at the best) ... roughly 70% of the eligible voters voted ..... nowhere near 70% for Thai Rak Thai

Back at Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department headquarters:

"Hey, don't be dissing TNNBPRD".... :o

*edit*

"Oh sorry... looking back we see that article was a CNN article... we just assumed it was us with your post"

Edited by sriracha john

Before you all shout, he's just using the situation now, who can tell me a bit more about him??

I think he could be the tpye of leader, more modest than Thaksin, no companys to worry about during a possible PM position and all his statements so far since he's the head of the Democrat Party, really impressed me.

His diplomas are real, not forged like someone elses... :o

or those from non-existing or defunct online Universities where you buy your Phd.

sushiman and Insight

Gulliver's - Soi 5 - Great idea - maybe Jai Dee could pin this here on the Thailand newsclippings forum. :o

>>>>>>>

are you gonna bring John Lennon with you to sing some songs :D

just kidding, you know what let's wait until the day comes (TS resigns) and we meet again here,

and sort out some meeting point. Maybe the other pro-Thaksin fans can join us, and we have a lot to talk about. Everyone should be welcomed. Would be nice to meet some guys here. :D

He still will win in a landslide, and the PAD are still laughable. You hardly need 50% to still be considered a landslide. But I did think it was stupid of him to make that 50% promise.

Huh?

"you hardly need 50% to still be considered a landslide? HUH No ... you don't ... you need 50% plus 1 vote to "Win" .... a landslide takes alot more .... and less well ... it is called losing

A landslide is beating the other parties by a lot, and that TRT has easily done.

again ... huh? there ARE NO OTHER parties here .... winning so many seats that you cannot be censured is a landslide ... 50% +1 vote is a win ... Losing most of the constituencies in places that voted for you 1 year before is an embarassment. If Thaksin thought he won again by a landslide he'd be crowing from the rafters now ... instead ... last night he snuck out without even personally cancelling a press-conference he called

I wasn't going to comment on this election, but I just have to say this: How many people think that Thaible works for TRT?

If I were working for TRT, I wouldn't be spending time posting on farang message boards. But nice try in silencing any pro-Thaksin support.

easy there, Brother... catch up with newer posts...we are all at "peace" with one another... :o

we're ALL having a "peace rally" and you showed up late...

but it's ok.... here, have a seat....

OHHHMMMMM>>>>>

Edited by sriracha john

sushiman and Insight

Gulliver's - Soi 5 - Great idea - maybe Jai Dee could pin this here on the Thailand newsclippings forum. :o

If you guys/gals want to organise a ThaiVisa pissup, just post it as a new topic in the Farang Pub - fun, entertainment and Expat life Forum, and I'd be happy to pin it for you.

:D

While on the surface the BKK results appear to be bad news for TRT, as currently only 8 (1,2,14,15,24,25,34,36) of the 36 TRT candidates secured 50% of the vote, I can not find a single TRT candidate that was not able to secure at least 20% of the vote in BKK. So it looks like technically they all would be awarded the seats?

Now will the TRT be willing to accept the seats where no votes had more than TRT votes?

Or

Will they view the large number of “no vote” votes as something that really needs to be delt with and be willing to discuss Mr. Thaksin leaving?

Should be interesting to hear what the TRT have to say in this evening’s press conference.

>>>>>>>

Technically TRT will still end up with a lot of seats in the next government - but Thaksin called this election primarily with a view to receiving another over-whelming vote of confidence from the people - which judging by the results so far he hasn't achieved.

It appears he has failed in his objective.

TRT probably as we speak are still formulating a strategy to deal with this massive blow.

Yep....tonight's tele broadcast is sure gonna be interesting! :o

we're having a "peace rally" and you showed up late...

right peaceful rally, right, that's what it's all about:

SJ u gonna show up on Friday?

SJ .... can be bring some cigarretes and some election stamps to check

Sushiman ...brings some Sushi

Mouse .... brings some Diplomas to check

Jay Dee...some nice girls as he's so good hearted

Bulmerke ...John Lennon, to keep the good old times rolling up again

who else?

from the outside...

State in turmoil after poll boycott

By Richard Lloyd Parry

Election fails to produce enough MPs to choose a new Prime Minister

Thaksin: saviour of his nation or corrupt opportunist?

THAILAND was propelled deeper into political crisis yesterday with a general election that failed to return a working parliament and the threat of further demonstrations against the Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra.

Votes were cast in a peaceful atmosphere in most of the country, but nine people were injured by bombs at polling stations in the troubled deep south, where the Government is struggling against a two-year-old Islamic insurgency.

An overwhelming victory for Mr Thaksin’s Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party was inevitable, since the three main opposition parties boycotted the election. The crucial question was whether they could prevent Mr Thaksin being re-elected by parliament.

In that they seem to have succeeded. In one constituency there were no candidates to vote for after all five were disqualified by the Election Commission. Other constituencies are likely to fail to return an MP because of a high number of abstentions. That means parliament will not reach the 500-seat quorum necessary to elect a Prime Minister.

The country now faces months of by-elections, legal challenges, complicated constitutional arguments and further anti-Thaksin demonstrations of the kind that have brought as many as 100,000 people on to the streets of Bangkok.

Mr Thaksin has promised to step down in the unlikely event that he gains less than half of votes cast. Yesterday both he and Thailand’s national police chief said that the street protests should end. “We should return to the rule of law,” Police General General Kowit Watana said. “Police have been lenient for a very long time.”....and more ...with thanks...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,1,00.html

His diplomas are real, not forged like someone elses... :D

or those from non-existing or defunct online Universities where you buy your Phd.

That's how his sister got hers...

:o Newport University....ROFL

As for his, I would have loved to been a "fly on the wall" of the meeting room at the Texan university in order to listen to him orally defend, in English, his PhD doctoral thesis in front of the Committee.

That's how his sister got hers...

:D Newport University....ROFL

Right, I heard that too...he he

SJ , stop laughing like that you make me wanna join too so funny these icons :D

Joko, and bring up some more tunes please: :o

Guys you like the Sushi's with a lot of Wasabi??

Hey great George is bringing the champange!! Cool idea!

or why don't we join on 7. April the rally if TS decides to cling on??

Any other ideas?

Then we can see and could talk for ourselves with the dangerous mobbers :D

Edited by sushiman

who else?

shar.. shar...slowly slowly...

the timing's not right..

too early to start planning a post-9005-1144046063.gif

see how easily he goes away first...

I believe it is far too early to have any sort of party. I really wonder though what is to party about when the political crises, what was to be expected, is only prolonged?

So far i haven't seen any count that includes the North and Isaarn. Anybody has some information on that?

who else?

Anyone told Thaible? :D

>>>>>>>

Party-time :o:D:D:D

I find it really sad that I have to follow the unfolding election results on a farang website! All I can find is the figures in 'panels' at the bottom of the screen - no analysis etc. Even ASTV isn't constantly updating its viewers. (I gave up on ch. 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11 a long time ago!)

Thanks to you guys for keeping me informed!

I believe it is far too early to have any sort of party. I really wonder though what is to party about when the political crises, what was to be expected, is only prolonged?

So far i haven't seen any count that includes the North and Isaarn. Anybody has some information on that?

We are just planing, anything wrong with that?

But your right, it all depends now what the care-shaker goverment (TRT = Thaksin Rules Thailand) will do next; if it goes wrong the protests will continue until he steps down. We all hope of course, in a bit realistic sense here (no matter what the North counts, as they will vote yes to TRT anyhow, as everyone knows that) that all people agree, that only one man can sort out this mess now, whatever the outcome will be today.

This election is not a valid election in my view anyway, it was initiated by the PM himself (did he even ask his TRT members?? anyone knows?), for some own as usual egoistic reasons, which you can agree on? Or you think it was for the country, as he wanted to give his critics a chance to vote against him? In favor of the Nation and Democracy?

If he stays the mess will stay, for sure. If he goes, I truely believe the Opposition parties will come back to the tables and talk, if the offer would be fair and reasonable and then they can decide what we all could be celebrating about this wonderful country even further :o

Just a bit less corrupt please, which was many Thai's people goal now, and this can be achieved now hopefully. Would be a great day for Thailand, if it would be like that, no?

Meanwhile I think he gave us a lot of headaches in the past view months, that any celebrating

soon would be quite refreshing, wouldn't it?

Keep up the good mood folks!

There are clearly an unprecedented number of "destroyed Ballots" - which is rather unfortunate.

I guess people mis-understood the "Vote No" campaign and assumed that simply destroying their Ballot paper would be enough.

Patrick

Um...I don't think the people mis-understood about the "Not Vote" campaign...

More likely...

- Partly due to the newly-introduced "Stamping" the vote rather than simply "Marking" the vote with a pen.

- Partly due to the fact that there isn't enough options on the vote...example: "TRT", "Not Vote", "Taxin Awk Pai", "Fxxk All", "Mai Roo", ETC.

Edited by cmcarrent

Just watching the Nation Channel where some guy has ripped up his voting papers and tried to stuff them in the *ox (sorry * still missing)

Democracy in action :o

Agree they could simplifly the results news and updates *ut then this is T land.... :D