Making sure you have the right cell phone plan?

DTAC 3G arrived a few months ago in my area, deep in Esarn. They offered me a very good cell phone plan for my Iphone 5. I already had a 3G plan with another company for 900 BAHT per months, while DTAC offered me a plan 350 minutes, 1GB 3G and unlimited WIFI for 700 BAHT. It was still cheaper than AIS so I took this one. My wife moved to DTAC one week ago and she's been offered a plan including 250 minutes, 3GB 3G and unlimited WIFI for 629 BAHT per months. I decided to move to this one as it was more suitable for my needs than the other plan. Thank you for the customer service representative who told me that I won't be able to take my ancient plan anymore if I changed it, I trully appreciate a good customer service!

Despite the fact that the cell phone plans are quite cheap in Thailand, maybe you should check if it is the cheapest you can get depending on your needs. I am certain that they change them so often that we may save some BAHT from time to time.

Mobile plans are changing all the time....the wife and I have been with DTAC on postpaid plans for around 4 years now with no gripes. Anyway, a few months ago we each bought a Samsung S4 at a DTAC service center...the postpaid mobile plan we got is shown at this DTAC Link.

Basically, Bt539/month which incudes 550 voice minutes and unlimited 2GB 3G mobile data (speeds drops to 384KB after the 2GB of full speed data is used up). The price is guaranteed for 18 months---no it's not a 18 month contract...just an 18 month price guarantee...a person can cancel/change the plan after only 3 months. Here in my western Bangkok location I usually get 3G speeds in the 5-8Mb ballpark...ran a speedtest as writing this post and got a 7.1Mb down/3.61Mb up speed....one time about a month ago I got over a 15Mb download speed in Nonthaburi just outside the the Big C in Bang Yai. Your results may vary.

Can't say for sure if the plan is only available to those buying certain phones at a DTAC center; if it is, as you look around the DTAC website you see a lot of phones offering the same plan.

I am looking at upgrading my service to 3G. Best bet for me here on Phuket seems to be the AIS voice + SMS + 1GB of 3G (unlimited 384kb EDGE after the 1GB). 399 bt/month. Have had AIS phone for about 10 years now so simplest to just stick with them although the True and DTAC offers are very similar and very good.

On the subject of billing, I want to offer a cautionary tale for anyone with existing AIS postpaid service who's thinking of changing over to their newer 2100 Mhz 3G service.

Be careful when and how you order any change to your current calling plan, enroute to a new plan, because it seems AIS's policy is to double-charge customers who change their promotion anytime during the billing cycle.

I changed over my postpaid service to the new 2100 Mhz 3G about 3 weeks into my most recent AIS billing cycle. And I later got two bills, one for the first 3 weeks under the old AIS plan, and a second bill for the final week of the billing cycle under the new AIS 3G 2100 Mhz plan.

The first bill for the final 3 weeks under the old plan/service was fine. They had prorated my monthly charges to reflect the partial month of service, which is what I would expect a provider to do.

But the second bill for the first week under the new 2100 Mhz service was NOT fine. Not only had they charged me for a week's worth of service under my new 2100 Mhz plan, but they'd also charged me in addition for a week's worth of service under my old AIS plan -- service that I didn't use and that was canceled with the arrival of the new plan. Plain and simple, DOUBLE BILLING.

When I called AIS to check and then to complain, the CSR insisted to me that their Terms and Conditions for postpaid service say that if you cancel (including change to another plan) your service anytime during the billing cycle, AIS will still charge you for the full month's price of your original promotion. So if you changed your plan one day into your new billing cycle, they'd charge you the full month's price for your old plan (even though it would have been canceled and no longer valid) and then a full month (minus one day) for your new plan.

In that kind of scenario, obviously, the amount of double billing gets larger the earlier in the billing cycle that you make any change, because then they'll want you to pay the whole month rate under your old promotion and the rest of the billing cycle at a prorated amount for the new promotion. In my case, because I happened to make my change about 3 weeks into the month-long billing cycle, AIS was only trying to double charge me for one week of service. But it was a surprise to me that they apparently have that kind of policy.

I discussed with the CSR how a customer who wants to change plans can avoid that kind of double charging. The problem is, with their E-service portal, you can't schedule when a plan change takes effect -- it takes effect as soon as you click the button online. So she advised instead calling to AIS customer service, and having them schedule your new plan/service to take effect on the first day of the next billing cycle -- and thus avoiding any double billing.

To AIS's credit, I will say, after I politely disputed with the CSR that they ought not be charging customers for canceled service that they have not and could not have used, she did end up agreeing to reverse a portion of the extra charges. But if I had not called them to complain and dispute the double billing, I would have been stuck with it on my account.

• Like 1

On the subject of billing, I want to offer a cautionary tale for anyone with existing AIS postpaid service who's thinking of changing over to their newer 2100 Mhz 3G service.

Be careful when and how you order any change to your current calling plan, enroute to a new plan, because it seems AIS's policy is to double-charge customers who change their promotion anytime during the billing cycle.

I changed over my postpaid service to the new 2100 Mhz 3G about 3 weeks into my most recent AIS billing cycle. And I later got two bills, one for the first 3 weeks under the old AIS plan, and a second bill for the final week of the billing cycle under the new AIS 3G 2100 Mhz plan.

The first bill for the final 3 weeks under the old plan/service was fine. They had prorated my monthly charges to reflect the partial month of service, which is what I would expect a provider to do.

But the second bill for the first week under the new 2100 Mhz service was NOT fine. Not only had they charged me for a week's worth of service under my new 2100 Mhz plan, but they'd also charged me in addition for a week's worth of service under my old AIS plan -- service that I didn't use and that was canceled with the arrival of the new plan. Plain and simple, DOUBLE BILLING.

When I called AIS to check and then to complain, the CSR insisted to me that their Terms and Conditions for postpaid service say that if you cancel (including change to another plan) your service anytime during the billing cycle, AIS will still charge you for the full month's price of your original promotion. So if you changed your plan one day into your new billing cycle, they'd charge you the full month's price for your old plan (even though it would have been canceled and no longer valid) and then a full month (minus one day) for your new plan.

In that kind of scenario, obviously, the amount of double billing gets larger the earlier in the billing cycle that you make any change, because then they'll want you to pay the whole month rate under your old promotion and the rest of the billing cycle at a prorated amount for the new promotion. In my case, because I happened to make my change about 3 weeks into the month-long billing cycle, AIS was only trying to double charge me for one week of service. But it was a surprise to me that they apparently have that kind of policy.

I discussed with the CSR how a customer who wants to change plans can avoid that kind of double charging. The problem is, with their E-service portal, you can't schedule when a plan change takes effect -- it takes effect as soon as you click the button online. So she advised instead calling to AIS customer service, and having them schedule your new plan/service to take effect on the first day of the next billing cycle -- and thus avoiding any double billing.

To AIS's credit, I will say, after I politely disputed with the CSR that they ought not be charging customers for canceled service that they have not and could not have used, she did end up agreeing to reverse a portion of the extra charges. But if I had not called them to complain and dispute the double billing, I would have been stuck with it on my account.

My wife's billings and my own billings were fine during the conversion and billing cycle.

I agree that you should check your bills every time you get the bill.

I am looking at upgrading my service to 3G. Best bet for me here on Phuket seems to be the AIS voice + SMS + 1GB of 3G (unlimited 384kb EDGE after the 1GB). 399 bt/month. Have had AIS phone for about 10 years now so simplest to just stick with them although the True and DTAC offers are very similar and very good.

How much voice and sms is included in that plan? Seems like a great deal since the other 1gb plans revert to like 64kb when you reach the 1gb mark and don't include any voice or sms.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by Jayman

Ditto on that. I haven't seen any 1GB AIS postpaid plans, either their original or their new 2100 Mhz ones, where they offer 384kb speeds unlimited after you've reached your basic data cap.. From the ones I've looked at, they're only offering that <deleted> speed at the very high price end of their monthly plans.

post-58284-0-65193500-1372819632_thumb.j

Also, here's the terms and conditions document in Thai for AIS's 2100 Mhz plan services... You can see the <deleted> limits listed.

post-58284-0-39829500-1372820189_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

AWN have a ton of post-paid plans:

Xtra Pack: iSmart, iPhone, Smartphone Smartphone: 750 MB/150 min: 399 baht; 1.5 GB/300 min.: 599 baht, among two sweet-spot plans. iSmart: 500 MB/150 Min: 339 baht; 1 GB/150 min: 509 baht, again just two sweet-spot plans.

Xtra Talk: several voice only plans

Xtra Net: iPad, NETSIM

Xtra On Top: Internet, WiFi, SMS

AIS also have a discounted plans when you purchase a new phone.

The OP's advice is spot-on.

AWN have a ton of post-paid plans:

Xtra Pack: iSmart, iPhone, Smartphone Smartphone: 750 MB/150 min: 399 baht; 1.5 GB/300 min.: 599 baht, among two sweet-spot plans. iSmart: 500 MB/150 Min: 339 baht; 1 GB/150 min: 509 baht, again just two sweet-spot plans.

Xtra Talk: several voice only plans

Xtra Net: iPad, NETSIM

Xtra On Top: Internet, WiFi, SMS

AIS also have a discounted plans when you purchase a new phone.

The OP's advice is spot-on.

What is AWN?

The name for AIS's 2100 Mhz 3G entity....

In 2013, AIS subscribers will enjoy a better 3G experience from Advanced Wireless Network Company Limited (AWN), a wholly-owned subsidiary of AIS. AWN attended the 2.1GHz spectrum auction and received operating licenses from the NBTC in December 2012.
  • Like 1

The name for AIS's 2100 Mhz 3G entity....

In 2013, AIS subscribers will enjoy a better 3G experience from Advanced Wireless Network Company Limited (AWN), a wholly-owned subsidiary of AIS. AWN attended the 2.1GHz spectrum auction and received operating licenses from the NBTC in December 2012.

Thank you for that. And just so I'm clear, if I swicth out my AIS sim and get the 2100MHz activated and sign up for a AWN plan can I still use the 900MHz band and services on it? It's not one or the other right? 900MHz is what I currently use for AIS 3G and this would upgrade me to allow me to use either freqs when needed right?

I believe it depends on a couple things...

1. You may or may not need to switch your current AIS SIM, depending on how long you've had it/how old it is... I switched from their prior 900 Mhz 3G service to the new 2100 Mhz plans and service, and didn't need to change my SIM. There's a number to call to automatically verify that, or, AIS CSRs can probably tell you over the phone.

2. Obviously, to make use of AIS's 2100 Mhz service, your mobile needs to support 3G on the 2100 Mhz band.

3. Supposedly, according to AIS, if you change, your primary band would be 2100 Mhz. But if you're in an area where they don't have 2100 Mhz service, you're supposed to automatically roam to their 900 Mhz service, if it's available there...at no extra charge or fee. Again, assuming one's mobile supports 900 Mhz 3G, which yours obviously does.

I don't know that you'd have the ability to manually switch back and forth between 900 and 2100 Mhz at your whim...

But if you do decide to switch, have AIS make the change with the first day of your next billing period in order to avoid them double charging you for both your old and new plans...which is what they apparently will do if you were to make the change mid billing cycle.

I'm prepaid and have had my sim for like 10+ years. My data plan expired yesterday and I had it stop renewing so that I could change my sim and signup to the new 2100 service. The AIS CS rep told me to do it that way as I need to swap out the sim and they couldn't do the upgrade over the phone. I went into a telewiz shop tonight at tukom and they told me I had to show up before 6pm to have the sim swapped so I missed that and will have to return tomorrow (before 6pm this time). I'm waiting on adding my data plan and have my data just turned off for now till I get it sorted. I just want to know I'm making the right decision by switching to the 2100 band. I'm on the darkside in pattaya and I use wifi at hime but get great 3g speeds here already. I will be traving soon up to Issarn and worry about the coverage. It looks like you can set up the APN manually to use either the 900 or 2100 so I think I should be ok if I find that 2100 is total crap.

I have a galaxy s2 so all the bands are available to my device (850,900,2100 for 3G)

Also I should add that the rep I spoke on the phone with sent me a sms with signup codes and the rates for the DATA only plans for both 2100 and 900..

Here they are.. all prices include VAT and this is data only with no included voice minutes or sms

3G 2100

1GB Unlimited speed drops to 64kbps 426.93thb *777*992#

2GB Unlimited speed drops to 128kbps 640.93thb *777*993#

4GB Unlimited speed drops to 256kbps 854.93thb *777*994#

3G 900

(not unlimited)

1GB 374.50thb *132*22#

2GB 588.50thb *132*23#

3GB 854,93thb *132*24#

Edited by Jayman

Jayman, I'm not familiar with AIS's prepaid offerings and rules, so I can't speak to those.

But obviously, all mobile phone and data services are location dependant... How close and how busy is the transmitter closest to your location, whether it be Pattaya or Isaan.

If your SIM is 10 years old, then pretty clearly you'd need a new SIM to access the 2100 Mhz service.

If you're going to stay on prepaid, then it seems it's not much of a problem. You can try the new service and see how it works in your locations... And if it doesn't, presumably you could formally switch back to the 900 Mhz service -- though I'd certainly try to confirm that with AIS beforehand.

You talked about traveling to Isaan... so I don't know if that means visiting or relocating there from Pattaya....

Do keep in mind, however, that AIS is slated to lose their 900 Mhz band rights in 2015, so who knows what's going to happen with that.

I will be traving soon up to Issarn and worry about the coverage. It looks like you can set up the APN manually to use either the 900 or 2100 so I think I should be ok if I find that 2100 is total crap.

I might be tempted to get a new AIS 2100 MHz 3G pre-paid "Freedom 3G" SIM, with a new number, slap on a weekly data plan (1 GB/64 Kbps FuP: 264 baht) and experiment with it. If it works for you, and roams as expected, then port your old number into the new SIM, or a replacement newer SIM.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

I just got my sim switched out today and activated the new 2100 service. So far, all seems ok. I was told by the AIS phone rep that 2100 3G should be available where I am traveling so that will be a plus. I was also told that as long as I config my device to allow data roaming that I should stay on 3G even in areas that only have 900 and not 2100 service. 2100 will be the default is I am connected to the 52003 provider. If I want to switch voice back to the 900 system then I can connect to the TH GSM provider but also disable the 3G data and use only edge/gsm or it will revert back to the 52003 network.

I have checked and my phone prefers to use the 52003 network now but I can manually connect it to the TH GSM one and place calls on it.

I signed up for a 2100 based 2GB unlimited plan for the month and will continue testing as I travel to see how things go. I won't be in Issarn for more than a week or so and if I have to, I will buy a TRUE H sim to use in my dongle if it seems their 3G coverage is better where I will be going.

on side note, for those that are interested, one difference I have seen between the 52003 and the 52001 (TH GSM) network is in the way *121# works. On the new 52003 network after you dial you are prompted with an on screen menu of choices that eventually results in you getting the details via SMS where as with the old TH GSM you are not prompted with any menu and are immediately given the balance details on screen. This might be useful for anyone wanting to verify which network their phone has connected to.

DTAC 3G arrived a few months ago in my area, deep in Esarn. They offered me a very good cell phone plan for my Iphone 5. I already had a 3G plan with another company for 900 BAHT per months, while DTAC offered me a plan 350 minutes, 1GB 3G and unlimited WIFI for 700 BAHT. It was still cheaper than AIS so I took this one. My wife moved to DTAC one week ago and she's been offered a plan including 250 minutes, 3GB 3G and unlimited WIFI for 629 BAHT per months. I decided to move to this one as it was more suitable for my needs than the other plan. Thank you for the customer service representative who told me that I won't be able to take my ancient plan anymore if I changed it, I trully appreciate a good customer service!

Despite the fact that the cell phone plans are quite cheap in Thailand, maybe you should check if it is the cheapest you can get depending on your needs. I am certain that they change them so often that we may save some BAHT from time to time.

Where in Esarn do you live, I live at the Kalasin, Roi-et, Mukdahan border, I'm just trying to find out if DTAC is available here.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm just trying to find out if DTAC is available here.

Service availability and performance is so highly variable based on any number of criteria including exact location. Can you speak with any people nearby to see what they are using?

If not, maybe just spring 50 baht for a DTAC SIM and 49 baht for daily 3G plan, so for 99 baht you can answer your own question.

DTAC is making a big push in the Northeast, coverage maps may give a general indication, but that area does look pretty remote. CAT/TrueMove H might offer a better option?

I'm paying TRUE 399 baht/month for 250 minutes to all networks + 1 GB 3G bandwidth + free WiFi (linked to the phone's MAC address so no hassle with having to login etc). There are so many TRUE wifi access points in Pattaya now that actually only use about 100 MB of my allocated 3G bandwidth. Open to all, afaik not time limited.

post-1539-0-84609600-1373170063_thumb.jp

Phil, is the True service you mention above on their old 850 Mhz or new 2100 Mhz band? I'm assuming you're talking about a postpaid plan.

And re the free wifi, did True automatically link it to your phone's MAC address, or did you have to do something special with them to arrange that?

I'm not sure TBH, the whole family use it with a splatter of different phones, but if we were just lucky to all have 850MHz capable phones or they use 2100MHz I don't know for sure.

The plans exist both pre- and postpay, but we were told the linking of wifi with MAC address is only possible with the postpay plan, the prepay plan has to login for wifi the old-fashioned way. The staff at TRUE couldn't explain why this difference - but actually I think I'll give them a call and see if the call center might know.

To link with the MAC address you need to either drop into a TRUE shop or call their call center, but it's an easy operation, they immediately knew what I was asking about and it only took a few minutes.

EDIT: I just called TRUE - most access points in Pattaya are 850 MHz but they have a few 2100 MHz and the plan is to gradually move towards 2100 MHz. Regarding registration of MAC address, they also couldn't explain why it wasn't possible with prepaid accounts, but it's like that. For the convenience of seamless login to TRUE wifi access points you need a postpay account.

Experience told me that whatever they explain to you on the phone, don't believe it.

My story with AIS:

I used to have an unlimited data package with AIS for THB 799.00 pM. It included the previous (fake) 3G services.

Now we have "real" 3G and I had to follow a complicated procedure to update my packed to this. After I called AIS and asked about the new 3G package and what was changed compared to the previous. I was explained only the download speed was higher, all the rest unchanged. I insisted, data volume, payment, all the same? Yes yes, the girl form AIS said, same same.

Then I got SMS from various senders identifying themselves as "AIS3G" or "AIS 3G" or "AIS_3G" (all different numbers) informing me that I had an outstanding balance. I figured that my bank will attend to the payment, as they have done in the past years, but the SMSes kept coming.

Finally I went to an AIS Shop (at Paragon) and got the information that my arrangements for payment are not valid anymore, I have to redo all. Then I asked to just verify what package I have and was told that the data volume is now limited to 3 GB, after that, reduced speed to "H". I told them that most of the time I don't have 3G, at least my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) says so. Mostly only "H" or "H+", very rarely "3G". The AIS clerk told me that even "H" and "H+" are actually 3G! (Really?).

And the moral of the story? Don't believe a word AIS says on the phone!

When my service was changed from the original AIS to the new AIS which is known as AWN or AWS... Advanced Wireless something.... the AIS billing account number on my service changed. So I had to go into my online banking set-up, and update the account number so my monthly payments went to the correct entity.

AIS has a different financial relationship with the Thai government and its entities for the old service vs. the new 2100 Mhz service. So the new service is structured as a financially distinct entity, even though it's all ultimately operated by the same AIS.

Finally I went to an AIS Shop (at Paragon) and got the information that my arrangements for payment are not valid anymore, I have to redo all. Then I asked to just verify what package I have and was told that the data volume is now limited to 3 GB, after that, reduced speed to "H". I told them that most of the time I don't have 3G, at least my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) says so. Mostly only "H" or "H+", very rarely "3G". The AIS clerk told me that even "H" and "H+" are actually 3G! (Really?).

And the moral of the story? Don't believe a word AIS says on the phone!

H is a type of 3G. When your phone shows H it's actually better/faster than when it shows 3G.

If you exceed your quota of 3G (H) you'll be dropped to EDGE (E) or GPRS (G).

I'm still looking for a postpaid plan with the following included:

- talking time (anywhere above 100 minutes will be fine)

- data usage (don't care about 3G speed, but unlimited use at slow speed is a must)

- SMS (minimum 200 a month)

it seems the providers are keen on not including all 3 at the same time into a plan.

currently using AIS 299 baht with 500 MB data (unlimited, drops to 64kbps) and 100 minutes talk time. I would like SMS on top...

Edited by manarak

I'm still looking for a postpaid plan with the following included:

- talking time (anywhere above 100 minutes will be fine)

- data usage (don't care about 3G speed, but unlimited use at slow speed is a must)

- SMS (minimum 200 a month)

it seems the providers are keen on not including all 3 at the same time into a plan.

currently using AIS 299 baht with 500 MB data (unlimited, drops to 64kbps) and 100 minutes talk time. I would like SMS on top...

ok, found on the internet an "on-top" package of 200 SMS for 150 baht... that is not accessible from their "eService" app... *cringe*