what paperwork needed from US embassy to buy new car

Royrex

At the dealer I was told i need to go to US embassy get document to buy car. I searched embassy website and only found a form for apply for thai driver's license. I'm here on a tourist visa (planning to apply for retire ext) and have a international drivers permit.

so the question; is the drivers license form the same as the car dealer wants?

thanks

You need a certificate of residency.

Yes, and your local immigration office will normally be easier and cheaper to obtain this from.

Although in Chiang Mai at least the local Immigration offices have stopped issuing them and are now refering folks to their respective embassies, Immigration used to charge 500 baht (under the table) whereas some embassies charge a couple of thousand. Apparently the Immigration folks stopped issuing said forms because some people complained that they should be free whereas in fact applicants were being charged a local fee, ahem, of 500 baht, no doubt said complainers now wish they had never said a word, sometimes it's simply best to just go with the flow!

• Like 1

Is that the same thing the US embassy is calling the driver's license affidavit?

Affidavit for Vehicle Issues ("Residence Verification"). To get a driver’s license, buy a vehicle, sell a vehicle, or register a vehicle, the Thai Department of Land Transportation might ask you get a document from us to “verify” your residence in Thailand. In fact, we are not empowered to do this. Instead, you may execute an affidavit in which you swear under oath or affirm your monthly local address. Use the Affidavit for Vehicle Issues (PDF, 35.0 KB). Fill in all of the blanks above the signature line, but do not sign it.

• Like 1

Yes, and your local immigration office will normally be easier and cheaper to obtain this from.

Although in Chiang Mai at least the local Immigration offices have stopped issuing them and are now refering folks to their respective embassies, Immigration used to charge 500 baht (under the table) whereas some embassies charge a couple of thousand. Apparently the Immigration folks stopped issuing said forms because some people complained that they should be free whereas in fact applicants were being charged a local fee, ahem, of 500 baht, no doubt said complainers now wish they had never said a word, sometimes it's simply best to just go with the flow!

Time to move back :)