Controversial Thai monk appears on air purifier advertisement

webfact

Controversial Monk Appears On Air Purifier Advertisement

advert.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The controversial monk who had been much criticized by the public for his luxurious lifestyle and shady financial background has appeared on an advertisement endorsing a brand of air purifier, a revelation that would likely attract further scrutiny to the monk.

Scandals surrounding Luang Pu Nen Kam Chattiko surfaced when he was filmed riding on private jet plane and sporting brand name bag. Soon, it emerged that the monk has been cultivating a network of fervent and wealthy supporters who had donated hundreds of millions of baht to his monastery.

Few years ago, he also started gathering donations for construction of what he called the biggest Emerald Buddha in the world, an enormous statue made of jade. The project is said to cost over 150 million baht and is under final stage of decoration.

Recently it surfaced that he might also serve as a product endorser. In the 6 minute long video on Youtube titled "Experience of Luang Pu Nen Kam Chattiko", the monk could be seen recommending the air purifier manufactured by Thaiunovus company to his spiritual followers. He said the device made the air in his monk residence very fresh and helped keep him in good health.

At one point, Luang Pu Nen Kam even pointed out that the purifier comes with exquisite wooden controller panel "like the one in the Rolls Royce my followers have donated to me". He urged the faithful to donate the air purifiers made by the company to monks around the country because "donating clean air [processed by the machine] to monks is similar to donating medicine to monks". [more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qRTJOalk0TUE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-26

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monk set up 201 centres 'illegally'
Pakamard Jaichalard,
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30209116-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A controversial Si Sa Ket monk appears to have set up a vast number of unauthorised centres around the country and overseas, the National Office of Buddhism chief Nopparat Benjawatt-ananan said yesterday.

The monk, who calls himself "Luang Pu Nenkham", was originally called "Phra Wirapol Sukphol", from a temple in Ubon Ratchathani - Wat Tai Phrachaoyai Ong Teu. His name appeared under a centre that supervises Buddhist monks travelling overseas (sortorpor.org).

The agency's probe found the monk had set up 201 "monasteries"without proper authority. So, the office plans to probe further and take legal action.

The monk came to public attention after a video was posted showing him in a private jet. Now, more YouTube clips have been found - and drawn further criticism, for claiming he has supernatural power. In a sermon at the laying of a foundation of a Vihara to enshrine a replica of the Emerald Buddha at Wat Pa Khantitham in April 2011, he claimed to have contact with supernatural beings. He also claimed to have received over eight tonnes of gold for the replica.

Department of Fine Arts chief Sahawat Naenna said it had sent a letter urging the monk to apply for permission to build the replica, as the Emerald Buddha was first on a list of 61 key Buddha images and permission was required to do that.

Meanwhile, the Facebook "Net-work Against Acts that Destroy King-dom, Religion and Monarchy" urged the Anti Money Laundering Office to probe the assets of Luang Pu Nen-kham network.

If the monk's assets are thought to be suspect, the network's chairman Songkran Atchariyasap urged an immediate freeze on all transactions. He said the group would also file a request to the Crime Suppression Police tomorrow for a similar probe.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-26

This chap is not entertaining. At least Benny Hinn can get morbidly obese people to leap from their motorized scooter chairs and proclaim "I iz he-illed. It's a mirakle" I want to see some of this man's magic at work. Can he help me pick the winning lottery numbers, or put a hex on the guy that let's his dog poop outside the building entrance and not stoop & scoop?

• Like 1

"Few years ago, he also started gathering donations for construction of what he called the biggest Emerald Buddha in the world, an enormous statue made of jade. The project is said to cost over 150 million baht and is under final stage of decoration"

I'm sure many locals will look at this and think 'wow, how beautiful' - but how many will look at it and think 'wow, how utterly abhorrent'?

How many? Far too few . . . lemmings

How is that the companies that hire him are not being chastised for there part in this. While we can point and criticize him, it s the ignorance of ( A ) The Marketing Team that found value in this. ( B ) The arrogance and ignorance of the company that seems not to respect his/ her own culture. That the would put profit through controversy of a sensitive subject over intelligence integrity. It seems to me they should be held equally accountable.coffee1.gif

hes like thaksin in drag,,,,,the way he acts,,,,,its embarrasing for the true followers of there teacher,,,,,buddha

Yeah. I wondered if he had ever had a blood transfusion, the donor being of the the Shin clan.

• Like 1

Respect of religious icons and the faith of others seems to be in short supply. There was controversy in Singapore when a Jeans retailer was showing inappropriate images and statues of Jesus Christ, through consumer complaint and involvement of the church it was soon stopped, only to be replaced by inappropriate use of the Buddha image. After more complaints the company stopped that as well. Seems that modern marketing believes it has the right to use any image no matter its origins or attachments in faith or religion without any respect given to the implied messages and Thailand is one of the worse cases of the hypocrisy in advertising. But... i would still rather live here than anywhere else... go figure facepalm.gif

• Like 1

"claiming he has supernatural power".

More like supernatural con man. bah.gif

Investigate, prosecute, confiscate & lock him up. sad.png

One of the four biggie things that will get you kicked out of the monk hood, is claiming you have supernatural powers, when you don't.. If you do, no problem, if you don't and claim you do, bye bye..

• Like 1

So much for helping to feed and clothe the poor.

Sorry Kamahele, but Buddhist monks don't feed and clothe the poor.. very often.. Buddhist monks job is to feed and clothe your spirit.

At the expense of others.

Who needs bimbos in hotpants, if a monk --called Venerable Father-- features in your ads. whistling.gif

Who needs bimbos in hot pants? You have to ask? biggrin.png

Walk a little more slowly as you pass me by, honey. Aw, the fantasies that you are going to feed further down the road that I travel.