Does an international driving licence work for driving motorbikes?

Neeeko

I've been driving around for 30,000-40,000 km per year with my regular driving license.

Did have some minor accidents, no problem.

Was stopped several times, no problem.

Did rent a car a few times, no problem.

My insurance accepts my driving license.

It's not said that an IDL or IDP is for tourists only.

AFAIK an IDP has a validity of one year and is valid in Thailand for 90 days at a time.

If you are a "resident" of Thailand; leave the country every 90 days and get an IDP every year you're covered.

Of course it's easier to obtain a Thai DL.

Allow me to pose this question then...it obvious you are "resident" here irrepsective of the "legal loophole" you cite...but why havent you gone to get a Thai DL, with a current foreign license its easy and cheap to get..so what is it...too lazy or cant afford the THB 500 it costs to get one...?

Soutpeel, I am NOT a resident. I work here and I am permitted to stay as long as i work. As soon as I end my current job I'm supposed to leave the country within 24 hours. Besides that, I do have to ask permission to stay every year. IMHO NO resident, just an alien with a non-immigrant status.

The reasons that I don't have a Thai DL were written down in my post and I would like to refer to post #21 from NomadJoe.

And oh oh, what a poplular reply: Can't you affort the THB 500?

You are funnier than a doorknob!

And yes, I'm too freakin' lazy!! whistling.gif

I've been driving around for 30,000-40,000 km per year with my regular driving license.

AFAIK an IDP has a validity of one year and is valid in Thailand for 90 days at a time.

If you are a "resident" of Thailand; leave the country every 90 days and get an IDP every year you're covered.

Allow me to pose this question then...it obvious you are "resident" here irrepsective of the "legal loophole" you cite...but why havent you gone to get a Thai DL, with a current foreign license its easy and cheap to get..so what is it...too lazy or cant afford the THB 500 it costs to get one...?

Soutpeel, I am NOT a resident. I work here and I am permitted to stay as long as i work. As soon as I end my current job I'm supposed to leave the country within 24 hours. Besides that, I do have to ask permission to stay every year. IMHO NO resident, just an alien with a non-immigrant status.

The reasons that I don't have a Thai DL were written down in my post and I would like to refer to post #21 from NomadJoe.

what part of post #21 are you referring to....too much cut & paste in that post...

Actually if you are working here on a Non-imm status/WP...you are classed as a "resident" of Thailand for the duration your here...so in fact you should be on a Thai DL...wink.png ...your not a tourist...

so will inquire again what prevents you from getting a Thai DL ?...you are "resident" in Thailand, by virtue of the fact you work here and you seem to already have a valid foreign DL...therefore the process for you get a Thai DL is very easy....PP, foreign license,WP and THB 500 and your done, nice new shiny 1 year Thai DL in a couple of hours...

and thank you for your kind words on my sense of humour...

• Like 1

what part of post #21 are you referring to....too much cut & paste in that post...

Actually if you are working here on a Non-imm status/WP...you are classed as a "resident" of Thailand for the duration your here...so in fact you should be on a Thai DL...wink.png ...your not a tourist...

so will inquire again what prevents you from getting a Thai DL ?...you are "resident" in Thailand, by virtue of the fact you work here and you seem to already have a valid foreign DL...therefore the process for you get a Thai DL is very easy....PP, foreign license,WP and THB 500 and your done, nice new shiny 1 year Thai DL in a couple of hours...

and thank you for your kind words on my sense of humour...

Do I just need to hand all of that in and I can get one? or do I need to take a test again?

Do I just need to hand all of that in and I can get one? or do I need to take a test again?

If you have a current foreign license which is in English, most offices are not particularly bothered if you have an IDP or not, they have a big book with a lot of foreign licenses illustated in there and they just look at the "picture" compared to the DL you present to decide if its valid or not

So all you need is your current foreign license, WP, PP, and THB 60 "medical" certificate for your 1 year DL & the money, you will most likely have to do an eye test, colour vision and "reaction" test all very easy...

handover the documents & money...get your photo taken....no practical driving test required...couple of hours of your time...walk out with a nice new shiny 1 year DL...wait 1 year until this expires and get your 5 year...same requirements except dont need the medical certificate, or at least it wasnt needed when I renewed my 5 year last year

• Like 2

If you have a current foreign license which is in English, most offices are not particularly bothered if you have an IDP or not, they have a big book with a lot of foreign licenses illustated in there and they just look at the "picture" compared to the DL you present to decide if its valid or not

So all you need is your current foreign license, WP, PP, and THB 60 "medical" certificate for your 1 year DL & the money, you will most likely have to do an eye test, colour vision and "reaction" test all very easy...

handover the documents & money...get your photo taken....no practical driving test required...couple of hours of your time...walk out with a nice new shiny 1 year DL...wait 1 year until this expires and get your 5 year...same requirements except dont need the medical certificate, or at least it wasnt needed when I renewed my 5 year last year

You sir, are a legend thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Joe, I have news for you. By definition, you are a resident 100%. You work here. You are not a tourist. (EDIT: I see soutpeel beat me to it)

You are concentrating on the police allowing you to drive - that is not the problem, you could use just about any scrap of paper especially a pink one and you're fine.

The problem comes when you have an accident. That is when the BiB and especially the insurance will interpret everything to the strict letter of the law.

It is so easy to just get your Thai motorbike DL locally - just do that.

And if you don't have good insurance get that as well, but there is no point in paying for nothing - if you don't get legal first you won't be able to collect.

Am I? How could you have missed the excerpts from the 1949 Geneva Convention? The Thai Traffic Act? The multiple quotes and links from insurance and rental car companies? The multiple quotes from people,including myself, that have been involved in accidents here while driving on their home license with no IDP and encountered no problems whatsoever?

I have been riding around Thailand for the last few years on my bike with using a Canadian licence. It has the international endorsement. When I get pulled over by the police they just look at the licence and smile then send me on my way. Depending if it was me breaking a law sometimes 200 - 500 bt lighter. But no one has ever said boo about the licence and though I have valid insurance it has never been checked.

By "international endorsement", what exactly do you mean?

That is bad advice. As I resident the only possible way to "be covered", that is to be legal, is to have a Thai DL.

Yes, especially if you already have a license from home. You can skip the written and driving tests. Some have reported that you need an IDP to do this because the Land Transport Department didn't understand what class your home license was for. Besides translating the info on your home license into several languages, it also spells out the classes you are licensed in. The UK and EU ones and many others have pictures of the type of vehicle the licensee is allowed to drive, so it's not a problem. My California license says "Class C and M1" so they asked me to print off the page from the California DMV which explained what the classes were. No IDP required. Many others have reported the same, or were not asked for an IDP at all. A couple people have said they were asked for an IDP to convert thier home license to a Thai one and thus skip the testing. (You still need to to the reaction, color, and depth perception tests)

I have a thai drivers and a thai bike licence they just changed them straight over from my aussie licence, what pissed me off is the fact that my licence is a heavy vehicle licence but when I asked for that licence as well the guy in charge wanted me to go outside with him, obviously only bribes can get you a heavy vehicle licence here so I told him to take a leap. My current aussie licence is good for 5 more years but I will still renew my thai ones.

I needed the IDP when I applied for the Thai driving license. Plus a zillion photocopies of each page.

I find this all very interesting and threads like this are always very informative.

IF i read it right,you always are legal if you have a Dl when it is in the English language?

If so then you can only get fined for not having a Thai license when you are a resident here?

What happens when you have an accident and end up in the hospital and you think you are covered by a travel insurance?

I believe some insurance companies exclude riding motorbikes?(small letters)

I know some people who have lived here a few years and who believe they are covered by their travel insurance because they fly to the home country once a year.

It may be nice to some people to see how much they can get away with but i think it is much easier on the mind and the wallet if you make sure you go by the rules.

@ seajae,i think you are not allowed to operate any heavy vehicles here as it is in the first place,these jobs are for Thais.

I needed the IDP when I applied for the Thai driving license. Plus a zillion photocopies of each page.

Yeah there have been a couple people that have reported this. Far more have not needed it. I did not. Where is your home license from?

IF i read it right,you always are legal if you have a Dl when it is in the English language?

The class must also be for the class of vehicle you are driving, it must have a photo, and, according to the law which I posted earlier, your home country must have an agreement with Thailand, but I very much doubt anyone is ever going to check that.

Edited by NomadJoe

Yeah there have been a couple people that have reported this. Far more have not needed it. I did not. Where is your home license from?

EU license. And I applied in BKK, Mochit. My IDP was valid only a few more days, so I rushed to get my license before it expired. But everything else was easy. I was the only farang without wife/GF/BG.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an IDP International Drivers Permit and I was stopped at Naklua in Pattaya on my big bike. The BiB asked to see my licence and I showed them the plastic credit card part of the IDP. He accused me of providing the Royal Thai Police with fake/counterfeit documents and I was going to be arrested, taken to Soi 9, fined and then deported. He wanted to go to my house and get my passport so he could deport me. There was no way I was letting in my house. I ended up paying 40,000 baht to get them off my back. You might get away with it a few times having the wrong licence, but I had the right licence and I got screwed. Get a Thai license, they are well worth the wait at the Land Transport. Trust me.

• Like 1

I have a thai drivers and a thai bike licence they just changed them straight over from my aussie licence, what pissed me off is the fact that my licence is a heavy vehicle licence but when I asked for that licence as well the guy in charge wanted me to go outside with him, obviously only bribes can get you a heavy vehicle licence here so I told him to take a leap. My current aussie licence is good for 5 more years but I will still renew my thai ones.

And what in Thailand would you do with a heavy vehicle licence anyways, not as if you can start driving trucks to make a few $$$$ on the side.

I had an IDP International Drivers Permit and I was stopped at Naklua in Pattaya on my big bike. The BiB asked to see my licence and I showed them the plastic credit card part of the IDP. He accused me of providing the Royal Thai Police with fake/counterfeit documents and I was going to be arrested, taken to Soi 9, fined and then deported. He wanted to go to my house and get my passport so he could deport me. There was no way I was letting in my house. I ended up paying 40,000 baht to get them off my back. You might get away with it a few times having the wrong licence, but I had the right licence and I got screwed. Get a Thai license, they are well worth the wait at the Land Transport. Trust me.

Wow, that is an amazing story. Where did you get your IDP? Did you have your license with you which the IDP is issued on? By the sounds of it you got it from the internet, like from http://www.international-license.com/ or http://www.ididl.com/. Those sites are scams. If somone offers a plastic card with an IDP then it is a scam. If you showed him the plastic card and nothing else, then he is right,and you didn't have the "right license" as you claim. You were just unlucky to come across a BIB that actually knows the laws.

• 10 months later...

Wow, that is an amazing story. Where did you get your IDP? Did you have your license with you which the IDP is issued on? By the sounds of it you got it from the internet, like from http://www.international-license.com/ or http://www.ididl.com/. Those sites are scams. If somone offers a plastic card with an IDP then it is a scam. If you showed him the plastic card and nothing else, then he is right,and you didn't have the "right license" as you claim. You were just unlucky to come across a BIB that actually knows the laws.

Just looking at old threads on this issue....I am still interested about where you got your international "license." It would be a good idea to report back to them your experience.

I have been riding around Thailand for the last few years on my bike with using a Canadian licence. It has the international endorsement. When I get pulled over by the police they just look at the licence and smile then send me on my way. Depending if it was me breaking a law sometimes 200 - 500 bt lighter. But no one has ever said boo about the licence and though I have valid insurance it has never been checked.

OK, you have valid insurance, but just remember that if you have to make a claim, the first thing insurance companies do is look for a reason not to pay out, and it looks like you have that reason.

If I get caught it's just a 200 fine here normally, unless the officers having a bad day of course cheesy.gif

I reckon I would get away with it if the officer couldn't speak/write English too well, but I know its worth getting a Thai licensee and cheap so I'm going to look into it more

or when the mia noi wants some gold.

the point about the insurance is a very good one.

the best thing about getting a Thai DL - two actually - are the disappointed faces of the coppers when you flash it.

Not is my experience, anytime I have been stopped either in my car or riding my M/C, and asked for my licence, I have always had a smile and salute, and on one occasion, a handshake.

• Like 1

One thing here, since when have the BiB had the power to deport you?

One thing here, since when have the BiB had the power to deport you?

I think it's clear he meant they can arrest you for crimes which you can then be deported for.

• Like 2