Fan V Air Conditioning.

One of my pals has gone back to the UK for a few weeks and has left his fan and a couple of other things in my room. It's not a thing I've had in my room before, I always use the AC.

I'm not anti-fan per se, I was in a pals bar on Saturday night watching and eventually celebrating the glorious British Lions victory over the former sporting power known as Australia. ( That was a shocking attempt at a penalty in the last minute ), anyway I was over-heating and his fans appear to be deliberately placed to cause the minimum cooling possible, so I got annoyed, jumped on my motorbike and went to Siam TV to buy a table fan so I could watch the second half of the match in peace. My pal was a bit astonished at said act but watch my concerned face. mellow.png I've left the fan there for future visits.

Anyway, the other pal that's gone back to the UK for a few weeks had AC in his room but he obviously thought a fan was necessary for some reason unknown to me, so what are the relative benefits of using a fan rather than air conditioning?

It's a mystery to me. coffee1.gif

Fan becomes parasitic to the host organism and then, after a period of incubation may turn into a full blown Mia. By this time, the host organism is paralysed by the large amounts of toxins deposited within it throughout the life cycle of the 2 stage parasite and can no longer exist as it used to. Often times, all that remains is a mere shell of the innocent well intending creature it may had been before, controlled entirely by the adult parasite.

A/C remains A/C, but has drawbacks for smokers.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting that answer. blink.png

I don't think anyone was.

AC is the 1080p LED flat panel equivalent of cooling. A fan is the oval black and white 14inch CRT telly in a wooden box with coat hangar antenna - of cooling. tongue.png

• Like 2

Fan has lots of uses, I use it when it's nice sunny weather outside and I want to sit in my room with full open windows and fresh air or for an afternoon nap if the room is still cool from the nightly AC use.

Sometimes when the weather is cold it's not even needed to use AC, I rather have an open window and FAN. Also a fan is very useful if smoking is taking place in the room but I guess in chiang mai it's not very useful when outside air is already saturated with the smog whistling.gif

AC + Fan perfect mix imho, I actually have two fans in my room wink.png

AC dries my throat no matter what setting, when I leave the AC room I sweat twice as much as it's much harder to become acclimatised. Fans keep mozzies from sniffing you out and it saves electric.

• Like 1

Why use AC when you can use a fan?

I think that using AC stops you adjusting to the heat too, to a degree.

Air con is OK in the bedroom when bonking to keep the perspiration levels down with two bodies heaving together. That is the only time we use the AC unit.

The house is realtively well shaded and the fan(s) circulates the air around keeping us cool enough except for the hottest days.

Also sitting in a room with the air con on, their is little or no air movement and still air feels odd to me these days. I like a breeze blowing around me.

As pointed out above ... the Thais use the Fan to disturb the mosquitoes.

At a restaurant, they are rarely used for cooling.

A house set-up is different though.

But if you want an interesting reaction ... talk to them about ceiling fans ... w00t.gif

Can't say I'm a fan of this topic being in general.

I'll coolly move it to Pub. it'll be a breeze to put it there.

* Groan facepalm.gif

That was shocking coffee1.gif

Well blow me down and call me Scotty ...

Don't tell me he put the wind up you?

• Like 1

At home, I've not had the air conditioning on this year, nor last - except in the guest bedroom, which does not have a large ceiling fan, and which does not benefit to the same extent from a through draft.

The moving air cools you well enough, unless the air is too humid to evaporate sweat.

A fan is a lot cheaper to run than air conditning. And probably less maintenance as well

SC

Some of the guest houses in the Soi Buckoa and Soi Diana areas of Pattaya have both AC and fans. The ACs are set permanently to only give out a little cold air, then that forces the guests to use the fan also. Personally, I think it is one big con to save money.

Former sporting power! Former? Anyhow unions not real rugby.

That's the real topic here isn't it.wink.png

Farbeit from me to digress onto a sidetrack, but you'll be as well to do all your singing before the world cup in England...

Oh, I forgot, the Kiwis are the holders, aren't they?

SC

Fans to shift the mozzies - AC to cool the room. Or you could try one of those fancy air.conditioning fans that seem to put out water vapour -- but damned if I know how *that* works. :w00t:

Those are humidifiers, to stop the AC from drying out the air. I used to wake up with a very dry mouth and throat when the AC was on, googled it and went and purchased one. They work a treat but you need one with a big water tank. Mine would only last 5 hours then I would be woken by the machine screaming because it had ran dry. Damn thing only lasted 6 months so now its just a fan.

I am reliably informed that the Tv member in question was a cheap Charlie who objected to the cost of the the aircon and so bought a fan as it used less leccy.

Sent from the UK, (where I wish it was warm enough for aircon)... wink.png

PS... the noise of the darned a/c unit disturbed me at night too... tongue.png