Motorcycle with side thing

Virtualrecluse

Don't know if this should be in the motorcyle section or not: I've driven a scooter on many occasions in CM but now I'm coming to live there, I may buy a scooter/bike. I am thinking about one of those ones the Thais ride with a side trolley thing, not a side car really. You can carry stuff in it and another person can sit on it. Apart from it being useful for transporting stuff, I figure it's safer as it's more stable. Don't know what it's like to ride though and wonder about manouevering in the traffic etc. Any thoughts?

I have seen the homemade variety in Chiang Mai that some of the smaller restaurants use to deliver food, such as soups and items for "take-out". They seem fairly stable.

And I have also seen the same type, which is sort of a metal frame with a wood bottom, even used to transport kids here in Chiang Mai.

One thing you should be aware of is that they do stick out from the bike and might get caught on a tree or a pedestrian.

But if you take it slow then it seems quite practical and the shop owners are able to transport quite a bit at low cost.

On the street I see them often. But unlike a regular motor bike they do not park on the side walk very well.

They seem to be a stable unit but as the above poster mentioned you have to be more aware of the space you are taking up.

I'll probably get flamed for this but farangs look ridiculous driving those things. Thais laugh and crack endless jokes when they see farangs driving them. They are for very poor people who can not afford a car or truck. They are dangerous as hell. Seen a few of them in accidents over the years. The driver is usually pinned underneath.

• Like 2

I once jokingly suggested to my girlfriend that I want one. Judging by her response, not something you want to be pimping your ride with. How does it handle? Never got the chance to try laugh.png

triple your prozac "I can only tell you I feel like an alien that crashed here by accident. Always lonely, never feel at home and never feel security about my future and my possessions."

If you live outside the city like I do I believe they would be great to get around with a small load of wood or the family in tow. I'm getting one next month (from a falang family who say Thai's give them the thumbs up all the time) so I don't mess up my new car with local errands for farm goods or fun w/the 3 boys on trips to the local market. Don't have any plans to ever take it to town though. Also think it will be good to teach my oldest to drive, he will be 10 in a few weeks after all.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

I'll probably get flamed for this but farangs look ridiculous driving those things. Thais laugh and crack endless jokes when they see farangs driving them. They are for very poor people who can not afford a car or truck. They are dangerous as hell. Seen a few of them in accidents over the years. The driver is usually pinned underneath.

I used to ride a 'Combo' (motorbike with side car) in the U.K. in my youth so I thought that I was familiar with the driving technique. Yes overall the bike with side care 'Thing' is overall more stable. However, depending on the weight of the side car, much care has to be taken when turning right as it can 'flip' and the result is as per Elektrified's post.

I thought that I still maintained this skill but a few years ago in Rayong driving a bike at low KPH with empty and very light sidecar, I managed to drive the sidecar wheel over a curb and the bike flipped. Luckily I was unscathed and the car park attendant thought that it was a stunt in a movie. But it took him and his mate to lift the bike off of me.

I used to ride a 'Combo' (motorbike with side car) in the U.K. in my youth so I thought that I was familiar with the driving technique. Yes overall the bike with side care 'Thing' is overall more stable. However, depending on the weight of the side car, much care has to be taken when turning right as it can 'flip' and the result is as per Elektrified's post.

I thought that I still maintained this skill but a few years ago in Rayong driving a bike at low KPH with empty and very light sidecar, I managed to drive the sidecar wheel over a curb and the bike flipped. Luckily I was unscathed and the car park attendant thought that it was a stunt in a movie. But it took him and his mate to lift the bike off of me.

I rest my case.biggrin.png (But no offense to junglechef). I would imagine that out in the countryside, collecting firewood and farm supplies it would be fine. But in the city - one would be crazy.

• Like 1

>>However, depending on the weight of the side car, much care has to be taken when turning right as it can 'flip' and the result is as per Elektrified's post.<<

Turning right is no problem ,its turning left that needs skill and a lot of practise .As you turn left the side car has a tendancy to rise up off the road .

Heard they can be a bit tricky but that only means one has to learn how to handle one safely. I expect that the way I mt bike is even more difficult and dangerous. As for the people laughing at me, well I'm use to that, and looking ridiculous, that's in the eye of the beholder, I think I'm going to look pretty cool cruising (or at least pretty fun loving!)

• Like 1

Heard they can be a bit tricky but that only means one has to learn how to handle one safely. I expect that the way I mt bike is even more difficult and dangerous. As for the people laughing at me, well I'm use to that, and looking ridiculous, that's in the eye of the beholder, I think I'm going to look pretty cool cruising (or at least pretty fun loving!)

I'm not laughing at you. Just be careful...

• Like 1

Thanks for the concern guys, I'll be careful (don't worry everyone esp. all the cars behind me think I drive like an old lady). ME I have two of those in diff. sizes but not big enough when getting a lot of 2x2 mt bamboo fencing etc. The gardner has an old one that keep breaking down so thought he could use it too. And really I don't like being inside (house or car) and think a motorcy is even more dangerous so looking fwd to going out with kids for our weekly delivery to the orphanage down the road etc. I must, as the song goes "turning, I'm turning , I'm turning Thai I really think so"!

• Like 1

>>However, depending on the weight of the side car, much care has to be taken when turning right as it can 'flip' and the result is as per Elektrified's post.<<

Turning right is no problem ,its turning left that needs skill and a lot of practise .As you turn left the side car has a tendancy to rise up off the road .

Have to think about that one as in my incident it was a right hand turn.

Surely as the sidecar is attached to the left hand side of the motorbike - during a left hand turn the turning force causes weight to be put on the sidecar (?) During a right hand turn the converse is true and the car may lift off of the ground without due care ?

Have to think about that one as in my incident it was a right hand turn.

Surely as the sidecar is attached to the left hand side of the motorbike - during a left hand turn the turning force causes weight to be put on the sidecar (?) During a right hand turn the converse is true and the car may lift off of the ground without due care ?

No its the way i said .( if like in Thailand the side car is attached to the left side ) .I had a nice stainless steel side car myself up to recently untill selling it .I hardly ever used it as i considered it a death trap .Much better to get one of those carts you pull behind the motorcycle ,as mentioned already .

If you live outside the city like I do I believe they would be great to get around with a small load of wood or the family in tow. I'm getting one next month (from a falang family who say Thai's give them the thumbs up all the time) so I don't mess up my new car with local errands for farm goods or fun w/the 3 boys on trips to the local market. Don't have any plans to ever take it to town though. Also think it will be good to teach my oldest to drive, he will be 10 in a few weeks after all.

Also good for moving dogs around in.

• Like 1

Also good for moving dogs around in.

and when dolly's son comes to CM for ribs he can get around quicker from hot dog stands to burger joints

With all this left and right, I was thinking that in Thailand they drive on one side and in China they drive on the other side. So does the sidecar go on the left, right, or does it not matter?

It's good to have consistency on this matter, and I've always seen the sidecar on the left of the driver. That way, if he were driving on the highway out as far as the center line, he'd be able to (hopefully) judge well the path of the oncoming traffic.

Another consideration though is that I've heard that a sidecar will mess up the wheel bearings or do some such alignment damage to the cycle, making the cycle unusable alone should the sidecar be removed at a later time. Any other theories on this?

Got three sidecar monkeys named son #1, #2 and #3. Agree sidecar on left just like passenger seat of car. Good thinking, I'll be sure to put dogs in too but don't need for bicycle as I've just taken front wheel off and tied with whole bicycle with a bungee cord to back seat and transport to race etc before.

put a large paving flagstone in the bottom of the sidecar..that will hold the 3rd wheel down when going around right handers

Alternatively a well fed MIL should do, could be handy for other chores too. :rolleyes:

re

Alternatively a well fed MIL should do

here ya go ! .... ive never thought of a woman as ballast before ! ..... but if it works : )

dave2

ps .. ive been searching laos and myanmar pics to see if their carts are on the left or the right and so far ive found out they are very rare there as these trikes are the norm

the sidecarts results will follow when i get time ?

dave2

post-42592-0-63131900-1372474649_thumb.j

post-42592-0-87091500-1372475816_thumb.j

put a large paving flagstone in the bottom of the sidecar..that will hold the 3rd wheel down when going around right handers

Alternatively a well fed MIL should do, could be handy for other chores too. rolleyes.gif

But the paving stone will make less road noise. biggrin.png

David

• Like 1

re

Alternatively a well fed MIL should do

here ya go ! .... ive never thought of a woman as ballast before ! ..... but if it works : )

dave2

ps .. ive been searching laos and myanmar pics to see if their carts are on the left or the right and so far ive found out they are very rare there as these trikes are the norm

the sidecarts results will follow when i get time ?

dave2

That second photo is sure to keep the 3rd wheel on the ground...crikey!