Renting A Car

Hi

Can anyone tell me if a car can be hired in Thailand without an international driving license. I hold a full clean British license, Avis (in the UK) told me that this would be fine but I'd like to double check.

I know its quite simple to get an international driving license, but its just another thing less to do if i dont need one.

Thanks

FM

Edited by falangaman

The rental company probably gives you the car, but legally your UK-licence is only valid if accompanied by an IDP (International Driving Permit).

With the IDP you can drive up to 3 months after having entered Thailand.

You are entering the zone of $$$$$$$$$$$$s and back handers here courtesy of the Thai Traffic Police. Save the pain and get an International !!!!!!!!! nuff said.

Dealing with the police is no differant with or without an IDP

But I wouldn't worry about them its very rare that you get pulled anyway :D

A friend of mine just rented a car no problem without an IDP

I of course have a thai license.......so much easier and cheaper :o

I was told by Hertz, Budget, and Avis – as long as I had a valid license and the license was in roman characters then I could rent a car from them.

I have rented from all there here in Thailand. I have been pulled over by the police here in Thailand. I have never had a problem due to not having an international license.

Without an IDP you cannot drive legally in Thailand, period!!

The police don't care, they are happy with a couple of reds as a fine for your 'offence'.

BUT

The vehicle insurance may not be valid (particularly if it is a borrowed as opposed to a hired vehicle) and if you do injure yourself your travel insurance will be looking for a way out of paying, not having a valid licence could prove expensive.

Just my 2 satang, others have driven here for years using any old bit of paper with no problems.