Police open fire as drug suspect rams Phuket Town blockade

Lite Beer

Police open fire as drug suspect rams Phuket Town blockade
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: Police officers opened fire on a suspected drug dealer after he rammed his Honda Jazz into a police patrol pickup blocking his escape in Phuket Town early yesterday evening.

Police were following the Honda Jazz of 28-year-old Thaweepong Kerdpol, a suspected drug dealer, after they received a tip-off that he was in the Chalong area.

Mr Thaweepong stopped for a red light at the Tah Kraeng Intersection, where Chao Fa Road and Sakdidet Road meet (map here).

Realizing the opportunity to search Mr Thaweepong’s car was at hand, officers parked their patrol pickups in front of his Jazz, Phuket City Police Deputy Superintendent Prawit Engchuan said.

“The officers got out to ask to search the suspect’s car, but Mr Thaweepong accelerated at them, trying to go around the blockade,” Lt Col Prawit explained.

One of the officers, Sgt Maj Noppadol Boonyapijit, dived onto the bonnet of the fast-approaching Jazz in order to avoid being run down.

“Mr Thaweepong’s car rammed into one of the patrol vehicles. He then crashed into the traffic lights,” said Col Prawit said.

Sgt Noppadol managed to keep his grip on the car despite the collision with the police pickup. However, he sustained several broken ribs and a broken arm when he was thrown clear after the car crashed into the traffic lights.

During the attempted escape from police, officers opened fire on Mr Thaweepong’s car, hitting him in the right leg.

Police found 230 pills of ya bah (methamphetamine), 16.12 grams of ya ice (crystal methamphetamine) and 12.68 grams of marijuana in the car, which they seized as evidence.

“Mr Thaweepong was charged with possession of drugs with intent to sell, resisting arrest and attempting to kill a police officer,” Col Prawit said.

Sgt Noppadol and Mr Thaweepong were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Mr Thaweepong, due to the severity of his injuries, was transferred to Songklanagarind Hospital in Haad Yai earlier today.

Mr Thaweepong appears to have been a repeated offender. The Phuket Gazette reported him being arrested 10 years ago, when he was 18 years old, after he was caught stripping parts off motorbikes parked at Vachira Hospital in Phuket Town

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Police-open-fire-as-drug-suspect-rams-Phuket-Town-blockade-21469.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-27

@metisdead First that was obviously sarcasm, which gives a valid indication what is happening on this island. Just take a look of the topics of Phuket News section.

There is murderers, stabbings, hit and runs, drug smugglers, jumping from the balconies, drownings, torturing, etc. Not very lovely picture of what is happening here.

The amount of bad things on the news could be due more effective reporting, or it could be just because there is more and more crime on the island.

Every now and then we need a bit of laughter, which also can work as an wake up call, and after that maybe we can figure out some solutions how to start fixing this island.

I hope this serves as an valid comment to this thread.

I am in the process of writing to two friends in Belgium, who wish to visit Thailand for the first time.

Initially, the trip was Bangkok, Racha Islands, Phuket, Samui, Koh Tao and thence to Bangkok.

In view of the seemingly endless violence in and around Phuket where senior ambassadors plead with the Governor of Phuket to at least try and reduce, just reduce the robbery, the jet ski violent scams in which the Police seem to be involved, Russians beaten up or beating up others I wrote to them to cut out the ten days planned for Phuket.

Yes, I know that since the advent of Taksin and his lawless red-shirts, law and order in Thailand take a back seat - it would be nice to hear that things are getting better on this front.

I am in the process of writing to two friends in Belgium, who wish to visit Thailand for the first time.

Initially, the trip was Bangkok, Racha Islands, Phuket, Samui, Koh Tao and thence to Bangkok.

In view of the seemingly endless violence in and around Phuket where senior ambassadors plead with the Governor of Phuket to at least try and reduce, just reduce the robbery, the jet ski violent scams in which the Police seem to be involved, Russians beaten up or beating up others I wrote to them to cut out the ten days planned for Phuket.

Yes, I know that since the advent of Taksin and his lawless red-shirts, law and order in Thailand take a back seat - it would be nice to hear that things are getting better on this front.

Good idea, recommend them to rent a jetski from a Russian in Samui.

• Like 1

Um, I guess you don't live in Phuket, why tell people not to come here so they can see for themselves. Millions of visitors a year cannot be wrong and they aren't all perverts!

I have been here for 2.5 years and never had any major problems that wouldn't have happened in Europe.

It's a shame that Phuket has such a bad reputation as I actually love living here in the South of the island although I do stay away from the mad places like Patong unless it's a special occasion.

Common sense is the best defense.

As much as I loved living in Phuket, time to take the rose tinted glasses off. Others state it's as bad in XYZ country. But truth is from the perspective of a well travelled man, (22 years out of UK 14 based out of Thailand) Phuket is simply becoming a dodgy place to live, and certainly not a place for wet eared tourists to be safe in.

• Like 1