Thinking of visiting Hua-Hin: what is it like?

mike111

Mates,

I've stayed in Jomtien before and really liked the combination of a relatively quiet beach and the comfort of having shopping, gyms, and services a short bus hop away.

I'm thinking of visiting Hua Hin and was wondering if it's similiar to Jomtien. I like beaches, but I also like the comfort of gyms, internet, and decent supermarkets.

Should I plan for a few weeks stay in Hua Hin, or will I be bored to death after a couple of days?.

Any good gyms around there?

Whats the weekly or monthly rental for a room in a decent hotel (not looking to splurge, but no backpackers ratholes either)?

TIA

Hey there,

Not similar to Jomtien in most ways, though I haven't been there for years, but we do have gyms (best is on soi 88 called Aletica), supermarkets (Villa Market, Tesco, Big C, etc), and decent Internet (I use AIS 3G unlimited on a smart phone, and 3bb 10mb/ps WiFi at home, both very good IMO).

I have met many people that have come over from Pattaya etc that are bored within a few days here, but if you come with low expectations (for nightlife) and basically aren't a total monger, you can keep yourself entertained here I think.

There seem to a be a few monthly apartments popping up, they might have a better rate.

Good luck!

I stayed in a monthly place on the soi that runs between 94 and 88 (a gym on each of these sois) which was 7000B per month, they had studios for 5000B per month. Nicely furnished, great location, best of all, big pool, free WiFi and water. Tesco Express and another supermarket easy walking distance. I think it's called Baan Weerut. But....always booked out with a waiting list. A few more in that area, but I don't know any of the names.

Cut out the "decent supermarkets" and you won't need the gym. rolleyes.gif

Kidding aside, Hua Hin's a fantastic place. Go there quickly, though. Heaven knows how long it will remain so. Every time I go back, it's a bit more touristy (in a bad way) and sleazier.

I don't think Hua Hin should be advertised to anyone smile.png I think there is enough farang there already and doesn't need to turn into Phuket or Pattaya. keep it quiet, and say its a dump.

It if is a good place to live it will eventually become too crowded. The fact that it is still quiet says a lot.smile.png

Good place....but only if you don't play golf (or don't mind paying crazy European green fees).....and if you like your women ugly and in short supply.....and no nightlife to speak of.....I go to HH once or twice a year and always can't wait to get back to good old Patts. There is only one thing better at HH - kitesurfing, if that's your thing. Awesome!

Good place....but only if you don't play golf (or don't mind paying crazy European green fees).....and if you like your women ugly and in short supply.....and no nightlife to speak of.....I go to HH once or twice a year and always can't wait to get back to good old Patts. There is only one thing better at HH - kitesurfing, if that's your thing. Awesome!

Me Pats is trashy, to many Russians and on and on!

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I've been there in April and I have also been to Pattaya before. I don't suggest you stay in Hua Hin for more than a week or you will definitely be bored. It's a small city and doesn't have anything particularly special to it. But you can enjoy nice and quiet beaches of Kao Takiab (go for the sunset, it's beautiful). There are also numerous restaurants in the city or on the beaches which offer fresh and delicious sea food, although the prices are higher than other cities IMO.

There's the famous night bazaar which can keep you busy for a couple of nights. They sell lots of junk food as well as sea food and other things. For the decent super markets part, there is a complex called Hua Hin Market Village. I believe you can find anything you want there. It has a huge Tesco Lotus inside, a food court, and many brand shops.

I stayed at Baan Manthana Hotel. The location was excellent, but everything else was not!

Enjoy your trip

I (somewhat) respectfully disagree. For clean living folk who don't play golf and don't judge a location based on its attributes as a sex tourism mecca, it's a dandy town. (And the golfing there might be great. I don't know. I think it's an idiotic game.)

• Like 2

mjef is right. Hua Hin is much dearer and a bit boring after a few days. Restaurants are quite crowded in the small centre. Its pricier to be entertained by a lady

and they are fussier who they take because demand and supply dictates higher prices.

The beach is lovely though there are some Traveller/Romany types operating who look a bit shifty. I enjoy it once every cool season and spent the first few days of the last Songcran there to escape Pattaya but it was just as bad as the height of the last two Songcran days in Pattaya which I returned to enjoy with my mates.

Try it once for a short rental before booking for a long period to get the feel of the place.

Just to give my own preference, just up the coast (20 K or so) is Cha - Am. The thing I like (similar to Jomtien/Pattaya) the beach road runs direct access to the beach; which is the missing element in Hua-Hin.

Reasonable hotels covering the full range, some good restaurants but best to ask around. Night life needs some digging out, but as a beach resort town, beats HH.

Edited by maybefitz

Hua Hin is pretty nice and plenty of things to do. The market is pretty awesome. My wife wanted us to move there so we took a little trip. The only thing I didnt like was the chocolate colored ocean, but then again im coming from Phuket so you cant really make a fair comparison when it comes to beaches when your used to phuket.

There is a new amusement park nearby that recently opened up in Cha-Am.

Kite surfing? Where . How much? Thanks

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I've been living in Hua Hin for 9 months now and it's OK. Yes, they have nice beaches and there is a nice mall and another being built just outside of town. Tons of coffee shops and places to eat, Makro, Tesco and now a Big C (though it's really a small c), Only two legit gyms in town, though I hear the Sheraton has one too. Lot's of Scandinavian residents and tourists here, condo prices for buying and renting are going up in price. Tons of Bangkok folk on the weekends that saturate the establishments and drive like they do in BKK, need to be careful on a scooter.

Interestingly, A place I would like to further investigate for quality of living is Prachuab Kiri Khan (the city proper), it's of good size, I've seen foreigners there and the beaches are just as nice as HH with better views.

Edited by nomad127

I've been living in Hua Hin for 9 months now and it's OK. Yes, they have nice beaches and there is a nice mall and another being built just outside of town. Tons of coffee shops and places to eat, Makro, Tesco and now a Big C (though it's really a small c), Only two legit gyms in town, though I hear the Sheraton has one too. Lot's of Scandinavian residents and tourists here, condo prices for buying and renting are going up in price. Tons of Bangkok folk on the weekends that saturate the establishments and drive like they do in BKK, need to be careful on a scooter.

Interestingly, A place I would like to further investigate for quality of living is Prachuab Kiri Khan (the city proper), it's of good size, I've seen foreigners there and the beaches are just as nice as HH with better views.

I have stayed in Prachuap Kiri Khan for a few days. Very good promenade above the beach. Much quieter place than HH (and smaller). Does anyone know what it's like to live there???

Sorry guys .. but went to Hua-Hin about six weeks ago .. and it will be the last time .. the beach is heavily polluted .. not to mention dead fish and rubbish washed up.

That and all those horses up and down the beach and it's the last place I want to be ...

Night life .. enjoyed a good band at Murphy's but the rest just endless girlie bars .. the place was dead. Also got to watch out for the very nasty Ladyboys .. saw a situation where they 'caught up' with a older guy demanding money and threatening him etc.

Personally I'll stay in Cha-Am any day of the week ..

Had been there before but thought it was worth a second look .... never ...

Hua Hin is pretty nice and plenty of things to do. The market is pretty awesome. My wife wanted us to move there so we took a little trip. The only thing I didnt like was the chocolate colored ocean, but then again im coming from Phuket so you cant really make a fair comparison when it comes to beaches when your used to phuket.

There is a new amusement park nearby that recently opened up in Cha-Am.

going to hua hin with the kids... could you let me know the location of this amusement park?... thanks

Hua Hin is a lovely smallish town in the centre and expanding rapidly on the outskirts.

Been going there every year since 2005 for the uk winter months, very friendly place, people take the time to get to know you, where you from, what you do etc etc, not just another farang. Plenty of farangs living there, friendly as well and offer good advice.

Can rent new motorcy short term 200 baht a day or 150 per day for 10 days or more. Great food, plenty of bars and massage shops, lovely long beach

and great weather.

No go go bars or all niters so if thats what you want, then stay in pattaya or go to phuket.

Go and look and make your own mind up, I enjoy it there and hope to live there full time later this year.

I don't think Hua Hin should be advertised to anyone smile.png I think there is enough farang there already and doesn't need to turn into Phuket or Pattaya. keep it quiet, and say its a dump.

Duh. Missed it by at least 20 year. It is a dump. Sort of up-market dump, like Marbella is upmarket from Malaga....so not that upmarket.

• Like 1