Driving In The Rain

markuk

When driving back from Cha-am on Saturday afternoon to Bangkok i was amazed at the amount of traffic accidents, there must have been around 10-15 accidents, pick up trucks, cars, police cars and even a double deck tourist bus all managed to go off the road - due to the rain!!!

No suprise really when you consider the way Thai's in general drive but it will make me think twice about driving in the rain again, might be safer to pull over and wait - else you could get caught in the middle of something....... :o

After long rain free periods, Roads, expecially tarmac, collect a lot of debris such as tyre rubber etc., When it rains the roads literally turn into skating rinks but for reasons I cannot fathom out, drivers still hammer along with no breaking distance between vehicles, Motor Cycles still do the same stupid things but after rain they are in trouble. As you so obviously can vouch.

Its just amazing that some people just do not learn

True, locals don't seem to slow down at all in a downpour.

I think they speed up so as to get home faster.

Best to pull over if it's really coming down, luckily at this time of year the really heavy showers are short lived..not so in October.

Had a grandmother back home in Blighty who used to speed up when driving over ice for the same reason; wanted to get past the danger as quickly as possible... :o

Post 2 is correct as after dry weather you have a film of oil on the roadway and even a light rain will make it just like driving on ice (for those of us from cold climates) and any breaking (to look at the accident in other lane) is likely to result in another accident. After a time a heavy rain will wash the oil off but until then it is highly dangerous.

Yes, most drivers also drive too fast (make no adjustments until they can see nothing). But to pull off may not be the best idea unless you can get way off the roadway.

Post 2 is correct as after dry weather you have a film of oil on the roadway and even a light rain will make it just like driving on ice (for those of us from cold climates) and any breaking (to look at the accident in other lane) is likely to result in another accident. After a time a heavy rain will wash the oil off but until then it is highly dangerous.

Yes, most drivers also drive too fast (make no adjustments until they can see nothing). But to pull off may not be the best idea unless you can get way off the roadway.

No, you are correct. I certainly didn't mean you should sit on the side of the road waiting to be hit, although my meaning wasn't clear. But yes take refuge if it's available.