Number of drinkers in northern region highest in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a loyal consumer of these beverages, homemade and otherwise, in Phrae province, I think they are including the expats here...all 6 of us in the province!

Seriously though, it is a major problem up here....and considering the number of Whiskey distilleries in this province alone....it will not go away anytime soon.

It is easier to find whiskey around here than coffee...

• Like 2

Every foreigner i know, who lives in the provinces drinks alot. I think it is about boredom. There is nothing to do. Especially in the villages. No stimulation. They all get drunk or drink alot. How very boring in itself, if you ask me.

don't u think these people were already drinking a lot before they came to the provinces. as a non-drinker i agree getting drunk is boring. people rarely come up with great ideas when drunk, in fact quite the opposite. drunk and stupid (behaviour) go hand in hand.

Yes, they probably did drink before. But. they become like fish, when they hit the provinces. It takes a certain amount of creativity to remain amused, and avoid boredom when little is happening around you. Most of these guys simply do not seem to have that.

If you were witness to the number of 4oyo men - drinkers of rice whiskey - who die of liver failure in our (far Northern) village you wouldn't find this article such a laughing matter.

In my village in Lampang province daily consumption of moonshine by men 25 and up is just a fact of life. They work all day come home and hit the loa khoa till they pass out and start the cycle again and I'm talkin at least 80% of the men. This is not conducive to a long life with regulated booze with the moonshine you're just racing to a early grave.

• Like 2

50% of all thai males I know are alcohoholic. first glass of liquor in the morning, even at work with colleages, whiskey concealed in a bottle of oishi tea, etc.

Land of smiles, true, but only when there is boose around. Once a year (for some buddhist thing) they don't drink a couple of days. no smiling then, only whining. Alcohol intoxication is a substantial part of this thing some people call "thai-ness". It's more easy to mai bpen rai when drunk or feel "happy" (and repeat it non-stop, mee kwamsuk, mee kwamsuk). A blurred mind keeps people passive and smoothes their daily frustrations. Take away the boose and the country gets set to fire.

Interesting theory... Sobriety precipitating violence and irrational acts. coffee1.gif

Every foreigner i know, who lives in the provinces drinks alot. I think it is about boredom. There is nothing to do. Especially in the villages. No stimulation. They all get drunk or drink alot. How very boring in itself, if you ask me.

don't u think these people were already drinking a lot before they came to the provinces. as a non-drinker i agree getting drunk is boring. people rarely come up with great ideas when drunk, in fact quite the opposite. drunk and stupid (behaviour) go hand in hand.

I always thought I made my best decisions while drinking. Like most of my car purchases have been made while under the influence. And then there was that decision about changing all the living room tile because I did not like the colour one night and I pre-paid for the tile to wake up the next morning to remember my slate pool table had to be moved. Then there was the time I made the wise decision to build a swimming pool while having a bit of a drink at which time I arranged for the back hoe to be there bright and early the next morning. ha ha. All plans were followed through with but I did have second thoughts.tongue.png

• Like 2

Yes, they probably did drink before. But. they become like fish, when they hit the provinces. It takes a certain amount of creativity to remain amused, and avoid boredom when little is happening around you. Most of these guys simply do not seem to have that.

Maybe I'm the exception but I basically stopped drinking when I moved from Chiangmai to the sticks of Lampang province. Unfortunately I make up for it every 90 days when I come in to Chianger to do my report.burp.gif

• Like 1

It would explain their voting prowess. thumbsup.gif

Partly; but the only reason the majority of them vote is because they are paid to in these parts and led like sheep to the booths.

i don`t think it because they are paid... its because if they don`t hang a rotten old red T shirt outside the front of the house they`ll get beaten up....

it always gives me a bit of a chuckle when NON drinkers have a pop at people who drink... drinking is fun.. you cant beat a beer on a hot sunny day...

so what if folk die from it... its like.. if you dont drink you are going to live forever!!??!!!..

sorry NON drinkers... I`ve got news for you.....

• Like 1

Must be all my Scandinavian freinds up north. Or I got it wrong and the generally high consumption is the reason why all my Scandinavian friends live up north.....:blink:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I say your 'boredom' hypothesis may have some weight, but that is a symptom and not a root cause, IMHO.

I cite the environment and that particular Thai culture (indigenous native) as the two primary root causes.

Did the American colonists, when faced with a similar isolation in the newly-colonized North America resort to alcohol as an escape mechanism from what could have been a similar boredom?

NOTE: I offer the above as a rudimentary hypothesis, as opposed to any kind of formal theory. I have purposely limited my time in remote Issan settings for fear of ... boredom due to the huge cultural gap between me and the indigenous (native) population, not to mention a host of other issues.

I have personally observed a similar cultural gap between indigenous people/culture (Piute indian) and caucasian (farang) farmers and settlers in northern Nevada. I'll spare everyone the details, but drinking among the Piute community was definitely a factor.

Edited by MaxYakov

Well they didn't include me in the survey. I had a famous thirst for Red Ned, or anything else except beer and over many years consumed copious quantities of the stuff. Now my wife restricts me to a couple of glasses per-month. Says this will make me healthier. So now I've given up smoking, almost given up drinking alcohol and of course gave-up womanising many, many years ago. I must now be a boring old fart but at least I have a better chance of getting a Lot Older....boring or not.

• Like 1