Why we will never bridge the gap.

Great story IA ... thumbsup.gif

I've never had to deal with something like that.

i take your word that it's a great story. but i wish i'd understand what the story is about sad.png

My interpretation is, a thoughtful gesture being over ridden by greed.

IA I think it is time for you to give Wombat (IA's dog) a few lessons in home defense.

• Like 1

Great story IA ... thumbsup.gif

I've never had to deal with something like that.

i take your word that it's a great story. but i wish i'd understand what the story is about sad.png

My interpretation is, a thoughtful gesture being over ridden by greed.

IA I think it is time for you to give Wombat (IA's dog) a few lessons in home defense.

i'd rather sit with IA, share with him whatever he drinks, and hope that this will enable me to tell interesting stories too.

laugh.png

• Like 1

Wait Im confused. Whos wife, his or yours getting settlement? Whos Moon? The thief? Why would he get the money from the other shop? Then why would some of it have to cover the car? What car and cover what?Whos car? Why would you have to pay Pu yai baan and pu yai song? Perhaps that bit in your village you do?

Sorry but I find some of this hard to understand.

you are demanding too many details! wink.png

aussieruss ... I don't think krisb was serious with his question ... rolleyes.gif

Im sorry. sad.png

You know what they always say in the village, lock up the booze, cause him sneak sneak lak gai.ph34r.png

Ok, just the car bit, whats going on with that?

Edited by krisb

this seems to be an excellent example , online than, of a customer in a pub, telling half a story, half drunk

don't even see the point why to post this one

Funnily enough, I can't understand why people write pointless posts either coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This is disturbing,

The theft,

The discussion with the Pooyai (Kaman)

The monetary payment negotiations

The attempt at the sliding out of any future hospital / clinic obligations

The 20% skim off's for the Pooyai (Kaman) and his second in command.

It all makes perfect sense.. just a very small part of daily living here in Isaan.

Does this mean I have been here "To long"??

• Like 1

this seems to be an excellent example , online than, of a customer in a pub, telling half a story, half drunk

don't even see the point why to post this one

Funnily enough, I can't understand why people write pointless posts either coffee1.gif

I hope belg is not a Yank ...

If he is ... then ... WOOSH !

WOW,that stirred up a lot of responses. To those who found my style difficult to understand, my apologies. To those who offered explanations, my thanks. Only two lose ends left. The car was obviously to take the guy to hospital. And as Aussieruss says the "clue" to the point of the story, lies in the topic name, but let me offer a bit more information.

As mentioned above, stealing is definitely on my sh1t list as well, but from family is almost unforgivable. But it isn't the crime itself, it is the way Thais people deal with this type of issue. Or perhaps the appearance that they just except the failings of those close to them. Who knows? It is just part of rural life and we have to accept it.

For those who still find these comments pointless, these are my electrons, go get excited in someone else's field! Oh, and try to get out and about a bit more often.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 2

WOW,that stirred up a lot of responses. To those who found my style difficult to understand, my apologies. To those who offered explanations, my thanks. Only two lose ends left. The car was obviously to take the guy to hospital. And as Aussieruss says the "clue" to the point of the story, lies in the topic name, but let me offer a bit more information.

As mentioned above, stealing is definitely on my sh1t list as well, but from family is almost unforgivable. But it isn't the crime itself, it is the way Thais people deal with this type of issue. Or perhaps the appearance that they just except the failings of those close to them. Who knows? It is just part of rural life and we have to accept it.

For those who still find these comments pointless, these are my electrons, go get excited in someone else's field! Oh, and try to get out and about a bit more often.

Hey friend, as an American who doesn't speak "real" English myself, I had no problem understanding you. The only thing I'm still confused about is did you then drink that whole bottle of whiskey yourself before you posted? biggrin.png

No offense please. Just having a little fun wid ya. :)

• Like 1

A yank with a sense of humour, great! A Dean Martin fan asking me about whiskey drinking? What can I say? HICK? No mate the bottle is back in the box.

The thief has paid his fine and apologised to my wife and I in front of a mass village audience. But man, was he put through hoops by his family! They all told him they would not help him as they were sick of him a few even threathening violence if he didn't leave them alone. As much as Thai people internalise things, often it is only skin deep just waiting to get scratched. Then look out.

• Like 2

IA i think you have been here long enough to know that the story is not over and that you can now relax because all is solved. its going to bite you and you know it. its not a matter of if, only when. how to evade that when? i dont know, i havent been here long enough to know. ask the monks they might know. after all it is their culture not mine.

Edited by ttwitt

Fair comment for a newer arrival and easily true. But you underestimate me, just roll over, me? NEVER. All this is about is a cash position, a need for a new strategic plan. My choice of life and style has everything to do with my motivation,my reason for continuing to keep trying, my wife. I have given up a passion, the pigs. What else will I adapt to? Whatever it takes!

• Like 2

Fair comment for a newer arrival and easily true. But you underestimate me, just roll over, me? NEVER. All this is about is a cash position, a need for a new strategic plan. My choice of life and style has everything to do with my motivation,my reason for continuing to keep trying, my wife. I have given up a passion, the pigs. What else will I adapt to? Whatever it takes!

granted. you have something i dont posses or understand and can never see myself as possessing. you have achieved far more in this country that i will ever hope to achieve. for me the cultural barriers are insurmountable or irreconcilable so i dont even try. but i still prefer to be here than anywhere by choice.

Good to hear that life goes on as "usual" IA.

Keep the whisky in the box and we'll empty the beer bottles when we meet!

Cheers! biggrin.png

Edited by bergen

i still want to know the final outcome of Khonwans traffic incident. i know if it was me facing that situation i would have cut my loses and skipped. (if it is good enough for all those news worthy Thais to do, it's good enough for me, i've caught the culture that far at least) i figured those offering to buy his farm were doing it out of respect.

was planning on getting a driving license and vehicle myself until that reminder. now i am more content to stick to padding the pavement and catching the train.

edit: just checked his profile:"Resigned. Moved next door."

Edited by ttwitt
  • Like 1