Why are TV members so anti Hi-So Thais?

Bcgardener

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by her story, she is self made person, educated exclusively in Thailand. Would she still be considered hi-so?

I don't know, but you met her as a servant.

So what I posted appears to be correct.

lol. You don't know, but find it necessary to condescend. The relationship I shared or didn't share with her is irrelevant.

I simply asked if this person would meet your definition of "hi-so". If you don't know what constitutes hi-so, why make your initial comment at all. Perhaps you were just trolling.

Maybe some dont like the racism against skin colour,that some hi-so thais have.A few wannabe hi-so farangs on here too,which doesnt help,calling Issan folks as lower class,brainless,etc etc

That could well be true, but I think you need to go further back to when the generation of Chinese that came here and made money were the victims of racism having their businesses attacked by Thais, the Thai names given to prevent this etc. So many of the now wealthy Chinese families were the immigrant labour for the Thais.

Many lower class Thais who were/are the farm owning employers are now the poor don't like it that their servants became the masters. The bitterness is being exploited and increased by certain exiles and their cronies into destroying the country. It doesn't help anyone.

• Like 1

I doubt anyone posting on Thai Visa has ever met or talked with a hi-so person.

Most posters here seem to be confused by greedy money grubbing peasants.

Most hi-sos wouldn't even talk to a white foreigner.

The idea any obese romance travellers could mix with them is just laughable.

I am interested how you know that fact.

He doesn't know, he's trolling. He's never met a Hi-So in his life.

Of course I have never met a hi-so.

They don't mix with the general population, unless you work for them as some sort of servant.

(or knock you down and drag you to death while racing their Lamborghini through Bangkok)

Ferrari Tommo it was a Ferrari.

Thai hi-so scene usually is no hi-so at all just nobrainer toddlers with money, for them playing hi-so is just a game and 'look how hi-so we are' attentionwhoring. To gain a litte selfrespect they have to do nosejobs, breast augmentation and a ofcourse a new car. Good manners and being a respectable, worthy person is usually not that important nor is drug addiction a really big point.

I know a few real hi-so, respectable people with interesting lives.

Edited by rubberduck

Personally, I'm indifferent to Hiso Thais. I'm not interested in meeting any and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be interested in meeting me, living in Pattaya and all that. I am aware that Thailand is still a FEUDAL society and the real Hisos are the top of that heap. I don't find that all that admirable, for those BORN into that kind of unfair class status, but for the most part, I think that's the business of Thai people to work out if they are ever care to, and I am not optimistic.

In my old life in the USA yes I had some personal connections with some elite Americans, and of course some of them are fascinating people (and many not), but again, I just assume Thai hisos wouldn't be interested in me, so no point in getting emotionally involved in feeling much of ANYTHING about them.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm sure theblether sits behind his computer in his bedsit in Glasgow chuckling into his can of Tennents Super Strong, he really winds you lot up.

Good work blether.

Could you imagine the carnage I could cause If I actually started trolling crazy.gif

It takes wit and intelligence to be a troll, qualities I have in abundance. smile.png

However merely telling the truth seems to upset some of the contingent here so no point in trolling too. coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether

One thing that gets me is when people go about calling golf a Hi-So sport. It's golf and just golf.

When you take into account the cost of the land, the cost of shaping the land, what the land could actually be doing otherwise, the cost of maintaining a course, use of natural resources like water etc to keep greens green, and even the cost of a round or equipment, golf while becoming more egalitarian is definitely a luxury afforded only to those with money.

While not high so per say, the sport most certainly is exclusive though less so in the last 50 years as it is increasingly subsidised in the west by public courses and parks boards etc.

in fact beyond polo, horse or motor racing or sports of that ilk, there are few more exclusive sports.

As a networking tool it is a remarkably effective social filter, keeping those unworthy out of the picture.

The bolded does not have as much to do with the cost of golf. Cheap clubs can be picked up new. Sets for 6000 baht are great for a beginer. Though it is a bit high on the lowest scale of salary for sure it is far from un obtainable. You can get a round in some coursees for as little as 450 baht and thats what a few nights with out being drunk? It is not as unreasonable as most think. (just my thoughts anyway) What I can say is some courses try to stick to a certian group of people and only offer rounds for members and friends of members. But some good golf courses in the outskirts of BKK are a great place for a person willing to learn.

@trainman

Quite right.......however on topic I do think Soutpeel is correct about people coming here with a superior attitude and getting a shock when they find they are no marks on the feeding chain.

It must drive them mad.

Yes; it does drive them nuts. Superior attitude= Snobbery. I have a Brit' pal who lives not far from me and he is a terrible snob in almost every moment of his life. He completely dominates his Thai wife and the poor girl has almost no mind of her own left but, she follows the money and remains 'under the boot' for the sake of the family that he fully supports. I could write a book about his 'superior attitude' antics but suffice to say that i just ignore the majority of it and get on with being just another Human Being without any axes to grind.

Well ground

Mercedes Girl was saying yesterday that you can tell the difference at weddings, an Isaan wedding is an excuse to get wrecked for three days, a Hi-So wedding she went to recently had 2,000 guests and it was all over in one day.

She made a telling point, at the Hi-So wedding the only drinks available were expensive brandies and the like. She said there were plenty of people moaning because they only wanted a Chang and when they asked for one, they were told the Bridal party hadn't made any provision for beer.

She said the day was perfect in every other regard, but the social media was buzzing with people chortling that the wedding was too posh for beer.

Ah, the minor details. facepalm.gif

I took London pride to the last wedding I went to expecting to not see any beer. I'm a classy guy. Turned out there was beer there especially for me , plenty of people drinikng it. Wifes cousins wedding. Not Hi-so.

I don't think it's a hi-so thing, more that families (in the main the women) that built their businesses up worked most waking hours and didn't drink and many of their children have been brought up on the same beliefs. Whether they inherited the work ethic or not. For many a night out will be a meal and not on the lash.

It seems a case of look over there at those people drinking and what they have and then look at the people not drinking and what they have.

Plenty of well off men drink, but you hardly see any women drinking. Even amongst lower class women who are trying to get on and make something of their lives and get by with whats left of the family income.

Guess that's the beauty of the Internet, you can purport to be whomever you want to be..

But then you run the risk of being outted by astitute TV members such as theblether

;)

Anyway, me and Mercedes Girl are going out for dinner, oh, to a dinner party should I say. She flies back to London on Tuesday.

Group hug anyone? sad.png

More calories eh!

A little bit of self control solves many problems.

Like getting banned from websites ? whistling.gif

Anyway, me and Mercedes Girl are going out for dinner, oh, to a dinner party should I say. She flies back to London on Tuesday.

Group hug anyone? sad.png

More calories eh!

A little bit of self control solves many problems.

Like getting banned from websites ? whistling.gif

One kills you.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the people responding don't fully understand the difference between the Thais that have been serving the country and the Monarchy for generations who live a low key life style in homes that are not huge gaudy monstrosities, but in regular homes around 250 SQM with regular cars in the driveway. They don't flaunt their position, and definitely don't talk about what they do to serve. Then you have the Govt officials, corrupt politicians and businessmen ( who are successful here, but their business practices wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else) , bragging and flaunting their wealth and connections. The first are in my opinion the real Hi-So's but would never admit it. The second are a bunch of uneducated ( even though they posses Phd's not earned) braggarts that think it's fine to stomp on anyone lower than them. These are the ones that bring the country down, and to be called hi-so is the only a figment of their underdeveloped immagination. My opinion only!

• Like 1