Random checks find Thai rice safe for consumption

webfact

Random checks find Thai rice safe for consumption
By Digital Media

13724770911437.jpg

BANGKOK, June 29 – The Public Health Ministry has given assurances that Thai rice is safe and free from chemical residue.

Dr Boonchai Somboonsook, secretary general of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), said random inspections have been conducted at rice packaging locations since June 18.

Fifty-four rice samples were checked by the FDA and 33 samples by the Medical Sciences Department (MDF), and preliminary results said there was no residue from fumigation.

The amount of chemical residue, if detected, was in accordance with the standard set by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), he said.

Importers of Thai rice including Japan, the US and European countries follow the FAO standard.

MDF director general Niphon Popattanachai said 33 samples were collected from rice in plastic bags and sacks with lab tests finding the rice was chemical-free while the levels of yeast and fungus did not exceed regulated standard.

Thai rice is safe for consumption, he stressed. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-29

Of course it's safe and that's official, what else could it be ? If checks were actually conducted we can be sure they were definitely not random, no chances taken of something going wrong.

If, as reported yesterday, that 2,100 rice mills and warehouses passed muster it's inconceivable that unsafe rice would be found.

If the relative-handful of samples the Thai-authorities tested reveal nothing significant, then what could possibly be the risk, of a more-thorough testing-regime on imports into the USA by another laboratory ?

So why accuse the US of causing any loss-of-face ? wink.png

Edited by Ricardo

"Fifty-four rice samples were checked by the FDA and 33 samples by the Medical Sciences Department (MDF), and preliminary results said there was no residue from fumigation.

The amount of chemical residue, if detected, was in accordance with the standard set by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), he said."

First he says there is none then he justifies it if there was any. Why justify what isn't there?

Did he have a list of the best warehouses in the country to randomly check from. Or was he pointed to a certain spot in the warehouses to collect his random rice?

Did he randomly check any of the missing rice.

Perhaps when Thailand receives their next shipment of Pads they can randomly give him one.

I'd believe this ONLY if it was conducted by the World health Org, for some very strange reason, I can not trust or believe any Thai results, done by Thais or figures released by Thais. Mmmm another thought, what are the chances that all the samples, if indeed some were taken, were taken from the same, know safe, site. Sorry, but too much corruption and too many lies to believe anything we are told or lead to believe in Thaliand, that doesn't mean I don't like living here.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 2

I'd believe this ONLY if it was conducted by the World health Org, for some very strange reason, I can not trust or believe any Thai results, done by Thais or figures released by Thais. Mmmm another thought, what are the chances that all the samples, if indeed some were taken, were taken from the same, know safe, site. Sorry, but too much corruption and too many lies to believe anything we are told or lead to believe in Thaliand, that doesn't mean I don't like living here.

I surprise you still here. Why you like live here corruption is bad and you not belief in our country?

Sunisa.

"Fifty-four rice samples were checked by the FDA and 33 samples by the Medical Sciences Department (MDF), and preliminary results said there was no residue from fumigation.

The amount of chemical residue, if detected, was in accordance with the standard set by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), he said."

First he says there is none then he justifies it if there was any. Why justify what isn't there?

Did he have a list of the best warehouses in the country to randomly check from. Or was he pointed to a certain spot in the warehouses to collect his random rice?

Did he randomly check any of the missing rice.

Perhaps when Thailand receives their next shipment of Pads they can randomly give him one.

54 samples.

Woweeeee. Like to see how that makes a representative sample of 20mn tons.

I surprise you still here. Why you like live here corruption is bad and you not belief in our country?

Sunisa.

Corruption is everywhere, not just Thailand, but since you are obviously Thai, take a look around and tell us where is the straightforward talk?

Just look at the list of topics on Thai Visa any day.

Illegal encroachment on National Parks.

Politicians lying about anything and everything.

Imported cars by the thousand being investigated for tax evasion etc .

Taxi and tuk tuk and jet ski scams in holiday resorts.

Assassinations and more lies?

The list goes on but I think you get the picture.

However Thailand is still a nice place to live even with these problems as they don't usually affect the daily lives of expats.

Sorry to disagree with you on this but I think he does get the picture it is just that there is nothing wrong with those things if you are a Thai.

Agree Thailand is a nice place to live and the Thais are very nice people if you stick your hand out they will come most of the way. Just except them for what they are "different" and they will except you for what you are "different".

I know that was a blanket statement and probably many exceptions but for the most part I believe it to be true.

Mind you when we talk about the Government all bets are off.

yeah how the "random" population was drawn is a major question.

That is plenty of samples to project a reasonable opinion if they are truly random.

I just wonder how random they are IF they thru out other samples etc.

It's the integrity of the process that matters.... I don't have high hopes based on past performances however.

The rice will stay for millions of years, farmers will keep believing the same old lies and produce and sell, but it's not gonna get out of Thailand,... and the rice will never ever leave the country because the governments will keep interfering with the market forces...

Very soon, the Naton will suffer from century long diarrhea due to rotten rice that never left the country, and must be consumed by trillions of domestic Thais....sad.pngsad.pngbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif