Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

So true about the pills, recently I had a persistent cough, so, under pressure from the good wife, love her to bits, off the hospital, now I know in Australia I would have been given a course on antibiotics, here, I get antibiotics and 4 other pills cough suppressant pill, expectorant pill, anti-allergy pill and an anti cold pill. Money money money.

Yes but you're not forced to buy them. One friend to mine fell from the bike and went to BKK hospital to be medicated. Separately he had some cold and went there for that too. The amount of pills they gave him was truly ridicolous. However these were to be paid directly at their pharmacy, separately from the docots bill. He bought them all, while I interrogated the staff on the status of medical marjiuana in Thai;land :)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why not a similar problem in Thailand and on a similar scale, there's shed loads of penniliess deadbeat tourists who come here trying to sponge anything they can and there''s even more people who live here year round but can't afford to, many can't even afford to eat properly let alone pay hospital bills!

No, wait a minute, a shed load? Westernet live off Thailand? There is no such thing as a free meal here. Aside the occasional Western bum I haven't seen anything of what you claim. Yeah there is people living here with little but unless you can prove the contrary, the flow of money is from outside to inside at the tune of billions every month.

For my part I've come across a number of farangs in different circumstances who are just the tip of this problem, one guy an ex tourist police guy in Phuket wracked up several hundred thousand in hospital bills at the International Hospital before using contacts in the police force to get him out from under them, before returning home to Belgium. Another no-hoper in CM years ago did similar and as soon as he managed to get out of the hospital he was over the border and away - talk to the doctors in the larger hospitals and they'll tell you this is a serious problem for them, many people here are inclined to disbelieve it all simply because it's Thailand and that in itself is really sad that individuals can't form their own views without being influenced by the bar stool brigade.

Look If the intent was to draw simpaty to International hospital, that doesn't work with me at least. Hundreds of thousand Bts. of their inflated bills, amount so some thosand real cost perhaps. I had asked about their cost for simple things like D/L visti, I could not resist from laughing.

They routinely refuse to treat people before getting the funds, but now because in a case, due to some THAI police pressure, they got stuffed we should all be moved?

And you should not "talk to doctors" about balance issues at their hospital, what do you expect you will hear. Tlak to them about healt, may be more productive.

What perplexes me about this is the focus on tourists. I would have thought that it is long-term resident expats -- mainly, people on retirement or spousal visas -- who most often end up costing the state big $$s.

A mandatory insurance requirement for them, provided it created an insurance scheme for the many who can't get a private policy, would make sense IMO.

Yeah but I'd be careful pushing for that considering the strong possibility they would add the requirement but fail to offer to create the backup insurance scheme.

YOU PEOPLE AT THAI VISA should be more careful when writing headlines. Did the person who wrote it actually read the story?

To say "Thailand to require ..."

is false and most of your readers think it's already a done deal.

At this point it's a PROPOSAL by one ministry. In order for this to become law, it will have to pass muster by the committee that will hash it over for a long time and then it would have to go to the cabinet for approval to be put into the form of a bill, which would have to be introduced in parliament where its merits and drawbacks are debate in at least one committee per house (upper and lower chamber).

Be careful or a hire a real news professional to write your headlines and run the news show.

Edited by spermwhale
  • Like 2

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

Typical Thais...the freedom to make a choice is going to be taken away ??? (Already the freedom of speech. buying land,buying a beer in the afternoon etc.etc. has already been taken away}. Easy solution....if foreigners don't have health Insurance, charge them for Medical services.

Thaivisa does not write headlines, only report directly from the media site. If you have an issue then take it up with the original source. Don't know how many times that has to be said.

Tywais posted

So THE NATION makes an error and TV passes it on with the retort - take it up with them .... As in we can't be bothered to read what we post up on our site.

Well thanks for that biggrin.png revelation

• Like 1

"....concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service..."

Really curious to know how much this "burden" amounts and how much is the amount of visa fees (visa run and extensions included) paid by such tourists which do not come back to their benefit AT ALL.

As far as I can remember, every article I've read about accidents involving foreigners, I've never seen a free hospitalization treatment but always huge amounts the victim or his family had to pay. Where is all this "... provide foreigners with free medical service.." coming from ?

Reading through the article, the issue seems to be related to anyone in UK allowed to be registered with a GP which entitles to a NHS number. The hospital staff is thus mislead, thinking that whoever has a NHS number gets hospitalization for free. As foreign tourists entering Thailand do not get NHS number, there is not such issue here therefore hospital staff knows very well who is entitled hospitalization for free and who does not.

Read again---tourists!!

I wouldn’t bet on that.

I have no doubts that this new ruling, if implemented, will be extended to ex-pats.

You can place the blame solely on the shoulders of those who have abused the system. Those who plonk themselves here on a hope and a prayer, with insufficient funds to support themselves in Thailand, and when they run into difficulties, including health emergencies, expect others to pick up the tab and bail them out.

As I have said many times in the past, in the end we all pay the price for the selfish and inconsiderate actions of others.

• Like 2

So true about the pills, recently I had a persistent cough, so, under pressure from the good wife, love her to bits, off the hospital, now I know in Australia I would have been given a course on antibiotics, here, I get antibiotics and 4 other pills cough suppressant pill, expectorant pill, anti-allergy pill and an anti cold pill. Money money money.

but you dont have to accept the medication...as you have said...money money..yes your money money...so you have a choice, dont purchase the meds from the hosptial pharamcy...just get the script off them

Reading through the article, the issue seems to be related to anyone in UK allowed to be registered with a GP which entitles to a NHS number. The hospital staff is thus mislead, thinking that whoever has a NHS number gets hospitalization for free. As foreign tourists entering Thailand do not get NHS number, there is not such issue here therefore hospital staff knows very well who is entitled hospitalization for free and who does not.

At a slightly different level of detail from which you managed to see things, the problem of people not paying their hospital bills in the UK is the same problem Thailand is trying to avoid!

So why not a similar problem in Thailand and on a similar scale, there's shed loads of penniliess deadbeat tourists who come here trying to sponge anything they can and there''s even more people who live here year round but can't afford to, many can't even afford to eat properly let alone pay hospital bills!

No, wait a minute, a shed load? Westernet live off Thailand? There is no such thing as a free meal here. Aside the occasional Western bum I haven't seen anything of what you claim. Yeah there is people living here with little but unless you can prove the contrary, the flow of money is from outside to inside at the tune of billions every month.

For my part I've come across a number of farangs in different circumstances who are just the tip of this problem, one guy an ex tourist police guy in Phuket wracked up several hundred thousand in hospital bills at the International Hospital before using contacts in the police force to get him out from under them, before returning home to Belgium. Another no-hoper in CM years ago did similar and as soon as he managed to get out of the hospital he was over the border and away - talk to the doctors in the larger hospitals and they'll tell you this is a serious problem for them, many people here are inclined to disbelieve it all simply because it's Thailand and that in itself is really sad that individuals can't form their own views without being influenced by the bar stool brigade.

Look If the intent was to draw simpaty to International hospital, that doesn't work with me at least. Hundreds of thousand Bts. of their inflated bills, amount so some thosand real cost perhaps. I had asked about their cost for simple things like D/L visti, I could not resist from laughing.

They routinely refuse to treat people before getting the funds, but now because in a case, due to some THAI police pressure, they got stuffed we should all be moved?

And you should not "talk to doctors" about balance issues at their hospital, what do you expect you will hear. Tlak to them about healt, may be more productive.

We never said there were farangs here who sponged off of Thailand, what we said was there are many farangs here who cannot afford to live here, live borderline impoverished lives as a result and can't afford to pay hospital bills whenm they become due. That you may not have seen such folks my be a funtion of your location in Thailand or the amount of time you have lived here or both.

To support my argument I quoted some examples of what I have seen, the purpose was to do just that and not to do as you bizarely seem to think, to elicit sympathy for Phuket International Hospital!

I invited anyone who was not convinced to talk to Thai doctors about the problem. Most hospitals here are run my administrators who were practising doctors at one time and the separation between medical and administration duties, rightly or wrongly, is not as clear cut here as it is in the West.

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

I was just going to ask that question also. What the hell is Thailand coming to. In every country in the world the state does not give foreigners free medical treatment. I never take out insurance and I am not stupid, I pay for any medical I need. I come to Thailand and stay at least 6 months each time and the cost to get insurance for that long in New Zealand is enormous.

• Like 1

I had cover for my dear old dad - 72 years old

He fell in my condo

I took him to hospital in Convent Rd

as a precaution they swiped my AMEX card before doing anything

then they brought out the machine that goes ping and then did every test known to man

after 3 days in hospital it was determined by the doctors that my dad fell over in my condo

the bill was paid on my AMEX

I then made a claim with the said insurance co

THEY determined that the claim was rejected as it was a pre existing ailment!

I appealed and said how could a fall be a pre existing ailment?

No answer - no refund

Good luck with insurance companies!!!

Not all in this world works as it should. Give it to a lawyer.

I am a lawyer and the costs out weigh the benefits

Way to possibly loose few million touriststhumbsup.gif

Personally i purchase all my tickets and hotels with my black master card which automatically gives me 6 months of health insurance while travelling,

So would i need to show them the booklets and translate it for themblink.png

what is a black master card, it sounds like a card well worth having

• Like 1

As my wife says every nationallity has good people and bad people. Let's face it laws are made for the bad people. I don't know of any country that insists on health insurance to enter that country. I think the tourism in Thailand would drop to the point that it hurt the economy, if Thailand was to insist on insurance. The government would be better off to budget a fund helping the hospitals that get burnt. Perhaps they could fund it by raising tourist visas by ฿500 and not allowing tourists to leave the country until their hospital bill was paid.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

I believe Thailand should allow free basic and emergency health care to all people in government hospitals. (foreigner or Thai)

Most foreigners prefer to use private hospitals with English speaking staff.

I can't see many foreigners using a Thai government hospital, waiting and queuing with the general Thai population.

The extra expense to the country would be negligible, the positive publicity for the country would be invaluable.

Health care in Thailand is very cheap.

(If you avoid the foreigner scamming private hospitals that abound)

@Pacificperson

Private health care for Thai nationals (and foreigners employed with WP in Thailand) is a maximum 500bht/month, as a foreigner can you tell me why you think you should be charged more?

Assuming you are referring to "bakan sangkom" which is the mandatory insurance for thais and foreigners employed in private companies, it is not private. It is a public health insurance similar to the one enjoyed by government employees and the 30 baht scheme, although the 3 have different levels of benefits.

The cost of this insurance is currently 4% of your salary, but with a max of 15,000 baht/month salary, so maximum 4% of 15,000 = 600 baht. A similar amount is paid by the employer. This insurance does not cover on most private hospitals, but mainly on public hospitals.

• Like 2

I believe Thailand should allow free basic and emergency health care to all people in government hospitals. (foreigner or Thai)

I can't see many foreigners using a Thai government hospital, waiting and queuing with the general Thai population.

The extra expense to the country would be negligible, the positive publicity for the country would be invaluable.

@Pacificperson

Private health care for Thai nationals (and foreigners employed with WP in Thailand) is a maximum 500bht/month, as a foreigner can you tell me why you think you should be charged more?

Assuming you are referring to "bakan sangkom" which is the mandatory insurance for thais and foreigners employed in private companies, it is not private. It is a public health insurance similar to the one enjoyed by government employees and the 30 baht scheme, although the 3 have different levels of benefits.

The cost of this insurance is currently 4% of your salary, but with a max of 15,000 baht/month salary, so maximum 4% of 15,000 = 600 baht. A similar amount is paid by the employer. This insurance does not cover on most private hospitals, but mainly on public hospitals.

Once you have left employment you may continue to pay your existing contribution and claim benefits forever.

Clearly the scheme isn't a huge loss maker, so again tell me why you think anyone should be charged more?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I personally have no problems with having insurance and proof, I have never come over without full and adequate cover, the company provide me with a printed copy of the policy and their quick call card, which I always carry with my travel documents, easy to show immigration upon request....really its not that hard. They even offer full year round cover for multiple trips if required.

The only drawback is possibly people who can't get reasonably priced cover, after all most insurance companies are in the business of making money i.e. my mother had a heart bypass and has trouble keeping her walfrin levels correct so she can't get cover, oh and my friend who attended our wedding, as she had suffered a minor stroke the insurance premium rivaled the airfare costs so she just took the risk.

So that probably rules out a lot of older people, well they don't need to be visiting they only get in the way of younger people?.

Wait a minute, last time I arrived in Bangkok 60% of the people at the airport were older!!!!

I realize this is just a discussion topic but the most sensible thing would be a levy or tax on all tickets of people coming to the kingdom as a health insurance premium if the true costs were worked out, and balanced against the spending (money being bought to Thailand by Tourists) the fee would most likely be quite insignificant.

It actually been here for a long time, for the time being the cost for SSO is 336 THB. pr. month

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

Of course, anyone over age 60 with pre-existing conditions is in trouble, over aged 65 and you're stuffed.

I heard those over age 60 with pre-existing conditions are in trouble, and over aged 65 will not be allowed to continue to stay in Thailand. Next visa extension will be the last final one.

Everything should be balanced in that Thailand makes millions from tourism so has to expect tourists to be able to use their hospital facilities at a fair price and cope with the odd idiot who has no money or insurance. Not make people prove they have or buy insurance on arrival. Also to help the married or retired falangs why not let us pay into their system so as to get healthcare the same as Thais if we should so wish to do so. Certainly not asking for it to be free. After all us expats do pump money into local economies.

George, in my opinion you have the best posting on this site, as I posted earlier the Thai Social Security System cost between 420/750 per month (depending on salary earned) is available to both Thai and Western employee's and covers ALL health problems not just in government hospitals but many private as well. When you pay your fee's you get a yellow ticket printed from a machine as proof of payment (it takes seconds to print out). Tourists and others arriving here without insurance could be sent to a booth to join this system (only medical not pension) where they pay a small amount (depending on how long they are staying) and the receipt is stapled in their passport (the printed receipt bares the name and passport number anyway). Any medical problem go to a hospital and show your passport and the receipt, the hospital treats you and claims the cost back from the Social Security Fund. If you wish to extend your stay you simply go along to the nearest Social Security Office where they can extend it. A two week stay could be as low as 250 baht and one year 5,000 baht. If you have travel insurance you are exempt! With this everyone (rich and poor and even the family dog are covered!

It actually been here for a long time, for the time being the cost for SSO is 336 THB. pr. month
Wrong it's 420/750 baht per month depending on salary - 420 after 60 years of age and I've paid it since it started and am now paying the retirement amount, 420 per month! Edited by BrianCR

@Pacificperson

Once you have left employment you may continue to pay your existing contribution and claim benefits forever.

Clearly the scheme isn't a huge loss maker, so again tell me why you think anyone should be charged more?

I am not sure if your last post was directed at me? I simply explained how the insurance worked and that it is not a private insurance, as you previously stated, and generally does not cover private hospitals. I have no opinion on whether anyone should be charged more.

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

Of course, anyone over age 60 with pre-existing conditions is in trouble, over aged 65 and you're stuffed.

I heard those over age 60 with pre-existing conditions are in trouble, and over aged 65 will not be allowed to continue to stay in Thailand. Next visa extension will be the last final one.

Nobody has said anything like that and there is no indication that will be the case.