Grocery store stamping food with a FUTURE date

Jingthing

I know, TIT, and all that jazz, but surely it can't be legal, even here, for a major grocery store to rather regularly stamp some of their produce with a FUTURE date?

Can it?

I can't/won't mention the company of course (wouldn't be prudentpost-37101-0-75519900-1372507388.jpg) but this isn't a one time thing. This is something I have noticed several times over the past year.

Now I will say I tend to shop in the evenings, but the dates are clearly one day in the future, and stamped well before MIDNIGHT.

It's pretty clear to me this company has a policy, it's OK to stamp for the next day after a certain time at night. But today or tonight is not tomorrow, even in Pattaya.

Is there some kind of oversight agency that would care about such consumer abuses?

Perhaps the tourist police? coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I am sorry I do not understand and am not flaming. Where I shop, the meat and veg may well be stamped for sell by three days hence, that's how "sell by" dates work? I certainly do not expect my meat and veg to only have a 1 day shelf life.

Wifey bought some pre-packed shrimp paste a while ago.

The use by date was on a peel off sticker. Under that was another previous use by date and under that was yet another previous use by date. It was binned!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Yeah that's been discussed before and it certainly happens sometimes. Stores taking off dates from the manufacturers, putting on new dates on old product, etc. But this is kind of different. Actually having the chutzpah to claim a FUTURE date, well, at least for the evening. Of course talking about produce specifically here (meats and veg.) and who really knows how fresh that is anyway as they don't produce it in the stores.

Edited by Jingthing

What's e point of a out out date anyway, the date your really interested in is the sell by date or out of use date.

If you want it fresh make it yourself.

Did you complain tot he managers whilst you were in fri*>~€}€p or F££:£:£d???

What time was it exactly when you were in there??

What's e point of a out out date anyway, the date your really interested in is the sell by date or out of use date.

If you want it fresh make it yourself.

Did you complain tot he managers whilst you were in fri*>~€}€p or F££:£:£d???

What time was it exactly when you were in there??

Make it myself? All the meat and veg I may wish to purchase? Do you think I live on a farm?

They are blatantly CHEATING. Postdating the put out date.

So for example the day after the put out day the consumer thinks it's only one day old, when IT ISN'T.

As I said I'm there at night. Different times at night. There doesn't appear to be any visible managers when I'm there. Just the usual staff that would laugh at you for "complaining" about something.

Seriously, if I found a manager, what do you think they would do or say? It's obviously their policy.

Do you think they would stop doing that, which they are doing clearly as a regular thing, because one f-rang told them it was not cool?

So who could/would stop it? Is it legal? In the west, it would clearly be illegal and probably subject to large fines in many places. Is there a consumer agency that would care? I can't even MENTION the place which is indeed a famous brand here, because that's not legal.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

There is a "Friendly" Supermarket in Pattaya which often rubs away the dates from milk products and sell them discounted. Happened to me 2 times with Anchor Cream. That cream is good for 6-7 month, so it doesn't make much difference if it is 2-3 weeks over the date, but to rub away the dates from the container is bold! I now prefer Foodland for my fresh shopping needs.

I'm going to nominate this thread for "Things that grate on you in Pattaya".

HMMM, Is JT in Pattaya or ChiangMai..??

Given that this is the Pattaya forum and the OP mentions '...even in Pattaya' I'd say.......Pattaya.

Does anyone seriously think that even in their over-regulated home countries, if they go to their local store at 8am to buy freshly made food, that none of it was prepared before midnight? Do people imagine that food stamped at 1am is perfectly OK while food stamped with the next days date at 11pm is going to poison you? Has no one here ever worked in the retail food business?

So if the 11pm food is perfectly good to eat, who cares if the label says 26th 0r 27th? In a scam city like Pattaya this is way down at the bottom of things to give a dam_n about.

I agree it is not the crime of the century. But it's still cheating and it's interesting that a big name brand company obviously doesn't care.

BTW: they definitely start the postdating before 11 PM but I can't say exactly when they do start it as I don't exactly live in the store ...

Edited by Jingthing

Would it offend you less if they'd done it out of sight and not bring out the 'tomorrow' stuff before midnight?

They could have stamped it at 5PM in the back for all we know.

Could you PM me the Name of this place please? I'm curious as I've witness something similar in the past

Slightly off topic ....

Some stores also fail to remove items that are past "Sell by" date. I once

bought a bunch of Pinto Beans to make Hummus, and when I opened them

they where all spoiled. I than checked the cans and realized I bought past

good date items ... and as I remember it it was months, not just a few days.

Now I make a point to check the dates on everything ... can't trust the locals ....

luudee

• Like 2