UK NHS Changes Proposed

I posted the following back in May, I still cannot find any updates - anyone know how to use Google better than I do or have any news about this at all????

I have been trying to find how this proposal has progressed in the last year. My searches have shown the consultation phase was completed and that the findings were being put forward as part of a new law to be implemented. Then I could find nothing about any new law being discussed in parliament. Does anyone know of a source where I could read the latest on this proposal.

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Was the proposal to allow expats access to NHS treatment accepted, so allowing expats to return for treatment?

Based on a search of a few weeks back I could only find this DT article of 12Sep13:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/10303008/Brits-abroad-could-have-rights-to-free-NHS-treatment-restored.html

It seems to indicate that having a minimum of seven years NIC contributions would entitle a person to free NHS treatment. However it was a measure that had completed it's consultation period in 2013 with implementation expected in 2014. Can't find anything that states this indeed happened.

There is a separate indication that pensioners, who had previously lived continuously in the UK for ten years are entitled to 'some' cover - no details of the extent of this cover.

It may still be under process, but has gone very quiet. So not looking good for implementation any time soon.

Was the proposal to allow expats access to NHS treatment accepted, so allowing expats to return for treatment?

Based on a search of a few weeks back I could only find this DT article of 12Sep13:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/10303008/Brits-abroad-could-have-rights-to-free-NHS-treatment-restored.html

It seems to indicate that having a minimum of seven years NIC contributions would entitle a person to free NHS treatment. However it was a measure that had completed it's consultation period in 2013 with implementation expected in 2014. Can't find anything that states this indeed happened.

There is a separate indication that pensioners, who had previously lived continuously in the UK for ten years are entitled to 'some' cover - no details of the extent of this cover.

It may still be under process, but has gone very quiet. So not looking good for implementation any time soon.

The current NHS guidance is contained in this beefy document::-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/254530/ovs_visitors_guidance_oct13a.pdf

As it's dated 2013, it looks as if any new proposals have yet to be implemented.

The status quo for UK state pensioners isn't that bad. If you meet the '10 years' requirement, you are entitled to free treatment for any illness that arises during your visit, even treatment of a pre-existing condition if the condition seriously worsens during your visit. So you can't go back on a visit to get, for example, elective treament for your heart condition, but if you have a serious and unexpected atttack during your visit you will be treated and not asked for payment. A bonus is that your spouse/partner and/or dependent children are similarly entitled, as long as they are accompanying you during your visit and are legally present in the UK.

Former residents working abroad are similarly exempt from payment for up to 5 years from leaving the UK.