Flights using borrowed credit card

timber

I used my brother in laws credit card to book a flight with Cathay Pacific.

I have the e-mail ticket and booking. The policy is that the original Credit

card must be shown to CP before flight time. Does anyone know how this

works in Bangkok.

Their (Thai) website says;

"Please note: The physical credit card used to pay for tickets must be presented by the cardholder for verification at check-in, or when collecting the tickets. Otherwise the cardholder must present the physical card used at the nearest Cathay Pacific Ticketing Office for verification prior to the flight departure.

If the credit card used is renewed with a new card number by the credit card issuer between the time of ticket purchase and time of verification, please retain and present the original credit card for verification.

The cardholder does not need to book and travel."

Interesting the last sentence, maybe you can borrow the card for your trip, but i suspect a much better idea would be to call them for advice.

One of my pals was knocked back at BKK as she had used her Mum's credit card. I was with her Mum in Chiang Mai at the time and it was a major panic to fax through proof of ownership of the card. She did get on the flight in the end though.

Some airlines will accept a signed photocopy of both sides of the credit-card, with written-authorisation from the card-holder, detailing the sectors & person-travelling.

That's how I can buy a ticket, using my own credit-card, for my teenage-son to travel back to Europe on-his-own.

Thank you very much for the comments. Have heard that people normally pass through without the check on the CC.

People have used scans as evidence.when asked for the card. People have been asked for the original card.

Sounds like verification at the airline office is the safest way to go.

I fly as an air courier and my tickets are paid out of another Asian country. Several times, I have been denied boarding when tickets were purchased with a 3rd party credit card within 72 hours of departure. Others are correct that if you can not show a back-up CC with enough credit available to cover the ticket costs, then the card holder will have to go to the nearest sales office of that airline to verify it. Note that even if they do that, word often does not get to check-in at your departure point. Often times, my company has showed the CC at the sales office but a note was not attached to my reservation meaning that the ticket office in Survanabhumi has to call the office elsewhere and ask about it. It often goes unnoticed, or they neglect to send it or it gets mislaid in BKK. Tell your friend to be sure to get the name and phone no. of the person who verify's the card just in case they need to be called.

Edited by dddave

I fly as an air courier and my tickets are paid out of another Asian country. Several times, I have been denied boarding when tickets were purchased with a 3rd party credit card within 72 hours of departure. Others are correct that if you can not show a back-up CC with enough credit available to cover the ticket costs, then the card holder will have to go to the nearest sales office of that airline to verify it. Note that even if they do that, word often does not get to check-in at your departure point. Often times, my company has showed the CC at the sales office but a note was not attached to my reservation meaning that the ticket office in Survanabhumi has to call the office elsewhere and ask about it. It often goes unnoticed, or they neglect to send it or it gets mislaid in BKK. Tell your friend to be sure to get the name and phone no. of the person who verify's the card just in case they need to be called.

And along with invention of the smartphone and continual improvements in technology, photos or scans of said "verification" can be quickly and conveniently sent to the end user as back up in the event that there is a failure to communicate amongst airline employees...