Much more than words: Television's top scriptwriters bemoan the lack of opportunity for newcomers

Lite Beer

LIFESTYLE
Much more than words
Chusri Ngamprasert
The Nation on Sunday

30209370-02_big.jpg
Nalinee Sitasuwan

BANGKOK: -- Television's top scriptwriters bemoan the lack of opportunity for newcomers

Switch on the television any evening of the week and, no matter the Thai TV channel you have selected, the eye candy will be more or less the same - glamorous actresses, handsome actors and gorgeous settings. Soaps here make for peak primetime viewing and with the demand for drama so high, sponsors and advertisers fight for pride of place.

Some 20 years ago, primetime in Thailand started after the evening news at around 9pm and run through to 10.30pm. These days, it kicks off at 7pm, with every TV station trying to air three soap operas simultaneously to attract viewers. And therein lies the problem: such high demand for TV drama has led to a low supply of scriptwriters.

"The extended primetime means TV channels need more drama to fill their time slots. Scriptwriters are being asked to double or triple their efforts and to ensure that their scripts bring in high ratings. Thailand has maybe 100 scriptwriters but only 10 can meet these two requirements," says Assistant Professor Nalinee Sitasuwan, the award winning scribe of "Peak Thong" ("Gold Wing", 1982) and "Si Phandin" ("Four Eras", 1991).

"This bottleneck is very harmful to the scriptwriters and if it continues, it will pose a major problem for the TV drama circle. The limited number of capable scriptwriters are being forced to produce more work. On one level, that makes them happy as they don't receive a fixed salary but are paid by the piece, but sooner or later, they will burn out and the ideas will run dry."

Recruiting a new scriptwriter is not an option either, given the high investment and fierce competition involved.

"Nobody's going to risk Bt15 to Bt20 million on someone they don't know. Producers and TV stations need well-known scriptwriters to do the job. They want to eliminate the risks and unnecessary problems that could occur were they to hire a brand new scriptwriter," says Krit Mongkolkasem, who wrote "Tawan Chai Nai Man Mek" ("Sunshine in the Cloud").

"It's important to understand the pressure in this highly competitive business. TV dramas are the highest rating programmes and the investment is very high. That's why every channel and every production house fights tooth and nail to retain its share of the business," Nalinee adds.

"The way TV production companies and channels in Thailand work is different from other countries. There, newcomers are given a chance and producers may well select a script by an unknown writer if they judge it good enough. Here in Thailand, there's no respect for new scriptwriters; they are rejected out of hand. The system relies on trust and close relationships."

Piyamas Waiyawat, who wrote the popular TV drama "Phaen Rai Phai Rak" ("Cunning Love") acknowledges that the chemistry between scriptwriter and producer is important but points out that skill and performance also play a role.

"Producers who know my writing style and my gags will always call me when they need a certain kind of script. My writing style may match producer A but not producer B. That's normal. Producers always want a script that can be used right away to save time and money. They prefer to work with someone who is flexible, punctual, open-minded and ready to fix the script if the team encounters any problems."

Scriptwriters need time to study the story, build the characters, develop conflicts and find the smoothest way to dissolve all tensions but time is the only thing this business doesn't have to offer.

Krit agrees that more work is good in terms of income but worries that the quality of the work may drop because of a lack of time for research and background.

"When we write a script we have to 'be' every character in the story. It's not just about putting words into mouths but reflecting what's in the character's mind through dialogue and action. That's very time consuming. If we fail in this part, it's tantamount to lying to our viewers," says Pajaree Deeyuadying, acting coach, director and scriptwriter.

"I do tons of research when writing script, especially when I'm adapting a novel. I'm lucky that I have a team helping me but even then I can only write one or two scripts a year," adds Pensiri Sawaitviharee, who scripted "Boon Phong", the award winning "Mae Ai Sa Eun" ("Mourning Mae Ai") and the soon-to-air "Saab Pra Peng" ("Curse of The Moon").

Honorary professor Nirattisai Kaljaruek, who advises Pa Sang Ya Son production house, doubts that the scriptwriter shortage will be resolved in the foreseeable future. "Competition is very high and TV drama is moving at break neck speed, as both terrestrial and satellite channels race to show soaps even out of primetime. This problem may cause a domino effect in the industry because the script is the heart of the drama and without a script we can do nothing," he says.

"Because scriptwriters now have too many projects in hand, they don't always finish by the promised date. This leads to delays in the production schedule and the postponement of bookings for cast, crew and equipment. Sometimes the script has been delayed for two to four months. Some production houses have almost gone bankrupt because of this problem.

"Now some writers are hiring other writers to ghost for them and they just edit the work and pocket the cash. I don't think this is fair to the producers as it inevitably impacts on quality," he says.

"A delayed sloppy script means a sloppy production. Everybody has to rush to shoot the scenes and edit the work for broadcast. The actors have no time to study their roles or interpret their lines. In this situation, it's impossible to produce a high quality drama."

Piyamas, Pensiri, Pajaree and Krit all agree that additional capable scriptwriters are needed and stress that the TV companies must be open to newcomers.

"None of us getting any younger. Gone are the days of working all night," says Piyamas.

"If there are more scriptwriters, the producers and the viewers will benefit. The producers will not have to wait for the writers and they will have more choices. Some writers, myself included, cannot write comedy so the producers will get what they really want," adds Pensiri.

Krit thinks that one way to fix this problem in the long run is for TV stations to hire and train their own scriptwriters. Such a system would allow new graduates to learn the craft on the job while gaining experience. Scriptwriters, he points out, require not just excellent language skills, but must also know "TV grammar" and have a deep understanding of human natures and society.

"New scriptwriters have to be patient. All of us went through rejections from producers and TV stations and had to practise for years before achieving success," Pensiri concludes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-30

When my wife watches channel 3 dramas I have noticed over the years that they use the same stable of actors.These actors are very hammy and not very convincing, add to the weak acting very badly written plots and storylines you have got a recipe for rubbish T.V shows.As a non Thai who watches Thai TV I can see that the whole industry needs major changes including fresh acting blood and quality writers.

It amazes me how they've taken the same script and made 12,000 odd soap operas out of it. Change a few names, add a few more Flintstone's sound effects and hey presto, a new soapie for the masses to consume. I'm sure they once showed a soap opera that was the same as another one using second cameras angles!!

Suggestion for the TV producers - try making a documentary or two. (not holding my breath.) coffee1.gif

It amazes me how they've taken the same script and made 12,000 odd soap operas out of it. Change a few names, add a few more Flintstone's sound effects and hey presto, a new soapie for the masses to consume. I'm sure they once showed a soap opera that was the same as another one using second cameras angles!!

Suggestion for the TV producers - try making a documentary or two. (not holding my breath.) coffee1.gif

You mean those aren't documentaries?

• Like 2

They are all variations of Shakespearian tragedies anyway.

There are after all, only 5 great stories.

In the past, I've also always thought that the Thai soaps are all bad acting and repetitive plots. But now I've come to believe that this is just their "style" and the audiences kind of expect this style of presentation.

For example, to show anger, the actors are supposed to show certain type of facial expression, for jealousy, another kind, for love, another, etc etc.

It's like a modern twist on the traditional dance performance of khon โขน where certain gestures have their intrinsic meaning.

For outsiders, it may look as bad acting, but the Thai audience has grown so used to this type of acting that they would instantly recognise what's going on. If they change over to more "realistic" acting, it would probably alienate the viewers completely.

It's like you complain that the singing and dancing in Bollywood movies makes it unrealistic. That's just their way of doing things too and Thais have their way of making lakorns.

• Like 1

In the past, I've also always thought that the Thai soaps are all bad acting and repetitive plots. But now I've come to believe that this is just their "style" and the audiences kind of expect this style of presentation.

For example, to show anger, the actors are supposed to show certain type of facial expression, for jealousy, another kind, for love, another, etc etc.

It's like a modern twist on the traditional dance performance of khon โขน where certain gestures have their intrinsic meaning.

For outsiders, it may look as bad acting, but the Thai audience has grown so used to this type of acting that they would instantly recognise what's going on. If they change over to more "realistic" acting, it would probably alienate the viewers completely.

It's like you complain that the singing and dancing in Bollywood movies makes it unrealistic. That's just their way of doing things too and Thais have their way of making lakorns.

It's certainly not television screen writing or acting. You are right, it's more like theatre recorded for television.

I mean people talk about their emotions to themselves. As television, it's painful.

• Like 1

Its the same plot done to death,just change the scenery a bit.

You have the pushy mother trying to get her pushy daughter

married to the lead man, but he loves another,so mother and

daughter and sometimes their maid give the nice girl a hard

time, Then enter the gay man screen left, then theres those

looks into the distance,or a scowl to the nice girl,throw in a

few bells and whistle sound effects, so people know when to

laugh. thats it basically,nice and simple ,no sub plots,don't

want to confuse the viewers.

Nearly all of them are about well to do people,nobody wants

to watch,say the equivalent of Coronation Street, or Eastenders,

set in Buriram ,

Regards Worgeordie

I don't think Thai TV is going to produce anything even faintly resembling The Sopranos, The Borgias, The Tudors, Homeland, or The Americans anytime in my lifetime. As long as Thai viewers want and watch what is now on air, what is the point of changing? Viewers are happy, producers are happy, advertisers are happy. Everybody is happy. Things will not change until the system breaks down.

Its the same plot done to death,just change the scenery a bit.

You have the pushy mother trying to get her pushy daughter

married to the lead man, but he loves another,so mother and

daughter and sometimes their maid give the nice girl a hard

time, Then enter the gay man screen left, then theres those

looks into the distance,or a scowl to the nice girl,throw in a

few bells and whistle sound effects, so people know when to

laugh. thats it basically,nice and simple ,no sub plots,don't

want to confuse the viewers.

Nearly all of them are about well to do people,nobody wants

to watch,say the equivalent of Coronation Street, or Eastenders,

set in Buriram ,

Regards Worgeordie

you mean people actually watch eastenders and coronation st,,,how grim ,,,,,,,,w00t.gif

The article title and article are completely out of sync.blink.png

"woe is me, i have too much work and get paid too much"

As so the "talented" ones are the ones that can take an old script and rewrite it into a new successful script?

Sounds like the Hollywood/Bollywood business model to me.whistling.gif

I did agree with the article about the flavor of Thai TV and advertizing

Unrealistic looking Thais, living in unrealistic settings, and acting out unrealistic lives.

As much as that's part of any normal TV across the world,

There's a conspicuous lack or any realism on Thai TV

By that i mean, everyone is light skinned, and 20-30, old hags are in their 40s blink.png

Drive $100K cars and living in $1M homes regardless of what jobs they have.

Never any traffic on the streets, and never any litter anywhere.

The weather is cool enough for people to go running in jackets and long pants.... <deleted>!!??blink.png

I'm sure others can add more, My observations are from just a week or 2 of trying to watch Thai TV.

So i just stick to sports and Thai PBS.

At least those look and feel real.

Thai dramas don't need scriptwriters -- a small computer program supplied with the names of the lead characters could quite easily churn out the volumes of formulaic drivel required.

The next time a new idea surfaces -- perhaps in 2025 -- they could simply tweak the program and carry on as usual.

Thai television soaps are ALL about money and ratings and NOT AT ALL about entertainment .

There is one plot , minimal variations of which are shown on each channel.

Here in "The Land of Smiles", people only cry , scream and yell . Women constantly fight , slap each other , tear each others hair out .

Men abuse and rape women ( even if the latter is not graphically shown )

My wife , university educated sits glued to this trash on channel 7 . I question the mentality that watches this RUBBISH , I cannot be in the same room with it . Had I seen these programmes before coming to Thailand , I wouldn't have come . All these programmes give the impression that Thais are ignorant Brutes and that the seemingly pretty girls are airhead , spoilt brats , perfectly horrible , that you wouldnt want to know at any price .

Talk about scriptwriters , what scripts , virtually non existent . Statistics say that Thais read on average one book a year and many don't read a book at all . For a nation that doesn't read , where are you going to find anybody that writes , or a scriptwriter .

When I first came to live in Thailand , there were comedy soaps with mature and credible actors and actresses , one is sick of seeing the same juvenile faces in every soap on every channel .

• Like 1

"Some 20 years ago, primetime in Thailand started after the evening news at around 9pm and run through to 10.30pm. These days, it kicks off at 7pm, with every TV station trying to air three soap operas simultaneously to attract viewers. And therein lies the problem: such high demand for TV drama has led to a low supply of scriptwriters."

Not to mention that it doesn't really matter which one is watched. They are all about the same, just like in the US. The plot is predictable, the theme predictable, the same group of actors and actresses, etc. When the new ones start, I watch it for 5-10 minutes. That's all it takes for me to figure out the plot, sequence of events, etc. Talk about not "thinking outside the box", these writers take "plagiarize" to a whole new level. With 10 min of soap and 5 min of commercial, my attention span drops to 2-3 min.

I like how the Thai's tell each other all the time that "real life isnt a lakron!" but they always act like real life is a lakron. But Thai TV will never have a show that rivals in quality to Twin Peaks. Thais dont like to think much, you all know that. "Mai yaak kid maak."

They could try the western programming of reality shows based on cooking, a semblance of singing talent and home renovation. It has got so bad in Australia that we look forward to reruns of 50 year old comedies.

Thai television soaps are ALL about money and ratings and NOT AT ALL about entertainment .There is one plot , minimal variations of which are shown on each channel.Here in "The Land of Smiles", people only cry , scream and yell . Women constantly fight , slap each other , tear each others hair out .Men abuse and rape women ( even if the latter is not graphically shown )My wife , university educated sits glued to this trash on channel 7 . I question the mentality that watches this RUBBISH , I cannot be in the same room with it . Had I seen these programmes before coming to Thailand , I wouldn't have come . All these programmes give the impression that Thais are ignorant Brutes and that the seemingly pretty girls are airhead , spoilt brats , perfectly horrible , that you wouldnt want to know at any price .Talk about scriptwriters , what scripts , virtually non existent . Statistics say that Thais read on average one book a year and many don't read a book at all . For a nation that doesn't read , where are you going to find anybody that writes , or a scriptwriter .When I first came to live in Thailand , there were comedy soaps with mature and credible actors and actresses , one is sick of seeing the same juvenile faces in every soap on every channel .

You've said it all, I couldn't add another meme. I don't have a wife-university ed. or otherwise-but that thais watch what must be the dregs of human expression is depressing in the extreme. Is there there some ethnic psycho-pathology being exposed here? It often causes me to question the mental state of people who watch this thai soap garbage. Cornation Street et al are high-brow compared to what passes for drama here. Is nobody concerned about the influence of the violence and spitting hate of the female Divas on young children for example? Why do I even bother replying to this?...nobody is listening, they're glued to the knife in the Diva's clenched fist...