Fishing allowed freely on the island as a tourist?

Hello all.

It's Time for another 3 weeks vacation on Samui and arriving in a week clap2.gif

I enjoy fishing and have been on a few tours with Mr Tu on a boattrip and caught the usual aquarium sized fish, but have also noticed some locals fishing from the rocks on various sites on the island, while passing them on Mr Tu boattrip and on a trip down to Koh Tan.

So i would like to know if it's legal to bring my own fishing gear and try to catch some fish if i find some interesting spots to fish from.

Or does it need some sort of fishing license like in other European countries.

If not i guess i will hop on Mr Tu's boat again or maybe try the Top cats lake this time.

If it's allowed is there any fellow anglers who have a few tips for what kind of lure/bait is normally used or is squid the all around bait?

Thought about bringing some floats, spinners, Gulp sandworms, gulp crabs, Various flies, some smaller casting lures ranging from 25-100 grams.

But does those things work on Samui fish, or is it just as good just buying some squid at the local market.

Thanks in advance :)

Ohh yeah i forgot to mention i was thinking about fishing in the sea.

We're gonna live in the somewhat northern end of Chaweng on our usual hotel outside the two small reefislands and not to far from Koh matlang.

Thought about maybe fishing from the rocks on the opposite site of Koh matlang, if that is legit, so i do not interfeer with any swimmers, snorklers etc

Water to shallow to catch the big ones unless you go Far out..

Not always true. I have seen some large barracuda in Thongson Bay over the years. (Not recently, but I do not look very often.)

Probably true statistically.

They are there, but definitely not every day - and not in every place.

Talk to the locals.

Thanks for the replies.

Size does not always matter.

It's more of a form of meditation for me sitting and relaxing, while drinking a cold beer or two :)

Though i plan to take one of the longer trips with Mr Tu, to see if i can get lucky and catch something that is bigger than the normal aquarium fish.

Cheers all.

Thanks for the replies.

It's more of a form of meditation for me sitting and relaxing, while drinking a cold beer or two smile.png

Though i plan to take one of the longer trips with Mr Tu, to see if i can get lucky and catch something that is bigger than the normal aquarium fish.

Cheers all.

Why Mr Tu ? because he advertises i suppose. There are others you know, and probably cheaper.

Thanks for the replies.

It's more of a form of meditation for me sitting and relaxing, while drinking a cold beer or two smile.png

Cheers all.

Why Mr Tu ? because he advertises i suppose. There are others you know, and probably cheaper.

Been a few times with Mr Tu, and yes i found out about him, cause i found his brochures down at the kind tour salesman on the corner near Samui Natien resort.

But i'm willing to try another fishingboat if you can recommend one smile.png

• Like 1

As said no permit but in 9 years never caught anything substantial but its a good way to pass the day, always used to fish down the steps next to what was chill on the hill, now the cliff, great spot, could see the fish but getting them was the problem. Do some looking around the internet, for baits i had success in fresh water where others did not with fish food, ground up and mixed with pigs blood from market or Tesco, add egg or 2 for binding to keep on hook and leave to rot for couple of days in bucket with lid. Smell worked every time. We used to hire a boat every Monday in Samui, always used squid but its not very adventurous. The place is netted and fished to hell, you only have to fly in at night to see the hundreds of boats that will be using under sized nets every where.

Or could always have a try for the Barracuda at Thongson Bay