Thai Drivers Licence on a Tourist Visa - (absolute no no?)

CrankyCarrot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ harry

That's not correct. I had to sit all the tests for the bike licence, but got a straight conversion on my car licence from my home country.

You should have had to do the eyesight and reaction tests.,...did you?

Yes. However, I know your information is incorrect because I had to ride around the course for the motobike test, but didn't have to drive a car around the course because I was given a straight conversion on my foreign licence.

You were not given a straght conversion. You had to do the reaction and eyesight tests.

Well, if you want to be so technical, no, I was not given a straight conversion. I still needed ALL the relevant paperwork and had to do the reaction test and colour blind test.

You don't need a Thai driver's licence, International driving licence is enough, valid in the whole world. More easy if travelling. I travelled from Thailand to Laos, Cambodia, no problem at all.

Check the inside of the cover. All the countries that recognise the IDP are listed. Thailand is listed.

The thing is, most people drive cars in their home country, so their IDP is for cars only.

They get to Phuket and see the public transport problem here, then they consider hiring a car, but see that parking is a real problem here, so they end up hiring a motorbike, which is not covered by their IDP. The IDP only covers you for what you are licenced for in your home country.

So, they ride around uninsured and riding illegally. (unlicenced)

Edited by NamKangMan

KarenBravo is spot on, its possible on a tourist visa, just get a rental contract from your landlord or even write yourself one like I did. I put down a different address to my own just in case I get into a chase and the BIBs come looking. I actually put down the address for a kareoke bar.

If you dont have a licence in your home country just sit the tests

• Like 1

You don't need a Thai driver's licence, International driving licence is enough, valid in the whole world. More easy if travelling. I travelled from Thailand to Laos, Cambodia, no problem at all.

This is indeed good enough for the cops.

By law however if driving more then 90 days in Thailand you need a Thai license.

End up in an expensive prang and rest assured the insurance company will trip over your lack of Thai license.

Policies specifically for rental vehicles will likely be OK, regular policies often require a Thai license straiht away.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One year licences on tourist visa. Can only be changed to a 5 year on an O visa etc.

I believe that it is always one year on your first license, 5 years after that. That is what they told me, and was written in the office, when I got mine with my O-A.

KarenBravo is spot on, its possible on a tourist visa, just get a rental contract from your landlord or even write yourself one like I did. I put down a different address to my own just in case I get into a chase and the BIBs come looking. I actually put down the address for a kareoke bar.

This is outright illegal advice, and on the very small chance you are found out will likely end you up in jail.

• Like 1

Ok, lots of misunderstandings here.

First, are you talking about tourist visa or visa exempt entry?

Officially for the certificate of residence a tourist visa is required, but sometimes will also be granted with visa exempt entry. You just have to be in luck, polite, etc. And I am talking Phuket here.

With a valid home license you can get a Thai license without any of the practical exams,, sometimes they will asko for IDP for that, without home license you have to do the full exam but of course you can get a Thai DL without a valid home license.

A 1 year licence would suit me just fine.

All I have at the moment is an expired driver's licence from Australia (which was only for driving cars anyway, not motorbikes as I'd be doing in the LOS). Will this be any major impediment to getting a Thai motorbike licence, or would I be better off renewing this licence in my home country prior to applying for one in Thailand?

Did everyone else need to get a certificate of residence first like Namkangman says?

@KarenBravo - you said you just got a 1 year licence on a tourist visa. I assume you did do that in Phuket?

You cannot get a Thai motorcycle license without a motorcycle lincense from your home country.

I never had a motorcycle license in my life until I arrived in Thailand. You take a written and driving test here to show qualifications, just like any new driver. I had no problem getting my motorcycle license here with just my International Driver's License for cars only.

This is indeed good enough for the cops.

By law however if driving more then 90 days in Thailand you need a Thai license.

End up in an expensive prang and rest assured the insurance company will trip over your lack of Thai license.

Policies specifically for rental vehicles will likely be OK, regular policies often require a Thai license straiht away.

There i no Thai law requiring a IDP. Home license is enough, provided valid for the specified category, with photo, in English.

The holdup will be the certificate of residence. Most immigration departments will not issue it on a short term visa. You will need to use a certificate of residence from an embassy instead. As many countries make you do a stat dec personal attendance is required and often honorary consols are not authorised to give them. Charges from the embassies vary but budget about $100

Just take in a letter of residence from wherever you are residing. As long as it is not a Hotel chain, you should have no problem getting a letter from them, with a long term date on it hopefully.

So... you can definitely get a Thai motorcycle licence on a tourist visa, provided you first obtain a Certificate of Residence? (no way around getting the cert of residence?)

Spending the best part of a day sitting a few physical tests and getting a medical cert to say I'm healthy enough to drive doesn't bother me.

No need to spend the better part of the day. Drop by a clinic on any street, takes about 5 minutes, cost about 300 baht when I did it.

@ harry

That's not correct. I had to sit all the tests for the bike licence, but got a straight conversion on my car licence from my home country.

Are you saying that you did not have to sit in front of the computer and answer the question for your car license, or are you saying you did not have to sit behind the wheel of a car and drive for them? I am pretty sure that you had to sit in front of the computer to prove that you know Thailand's driving laws.

A 1 year licence would suit me just fine.

All I have at the moment is an expired driver's licence from Australia (which was only for driving cars anyway, not motorbikes as I'd be doing in the LOS). Will this be any major impediment to getting a Thai motorbike licence, or would I be better off renewing this licence in my home country prior to applying for one in Thailand?

Did everyone else need to get a certificate of residence first like Namkangman says?

@KarenBravo - you said you just got a 1 year licence on a tourist visa. I assume you did do that in Phuket?

You cannot get a Thai motorcycle license without a motorcycle lincense from your home country.

How would people on firstg time motorbike get a lic. You can but oyu'll need to sit for the exam and do the road test. There are hire bikes in the lot!

One year licences on tourist visa. Can only be changed to a 5 year on an O visa etc.

I got my first 5 year license many years ago and they didn't check my passport - did check house registration and existing International license. Renewal was the same - house registraton and old license...

I got my first 5 year license many years ago and they didn't check my passport - did check house registration and existing International license. Renewal was the same - house registraton and old license...

Passport (original) will always be checked to ensure you have a valid visa/entry stamp. Copy of passport pages also required. Initial application only valid for one year. New license or renewal must be supported by a Certificate of Residence or Work Permit or Yellow Tabian Baan

When I did my one year, I was specifically required to provide both my home licence and IDP. In fact, I have clear recollection of it because I got into an argument with the woman at the front over needing photocopies of all pages of the IDP (which repeat the English pages in several different languages on different pages) when all she need was the pages in English. A chat with the supervisor sorted her out. That was at Phuket. If you can get away without an IDP, good luck to you. The IDP is only valid when used in conjunction with a valid home licence; ie, you have to carry and present the two together. I understand Stevenl's argument re IDP's (per discussion in prior threads on this subject), but that was what was required of me.

When I did my one year, I was specifically required to provide both my home licence and IDP. In fact, I have clear recollection of it because I got into an argument with the woman at the front over needing photocopies of all pages of the IDP (which repeat the English pages in several different languages on different pages) when all she need was the pages in English. A chat with the supervisor sorted her out. That was at Phuket. If you can get away without an IDP, good luck to you. The IDP is only valid when used in conjunction with a valid home licence; ie, you have to carry and present the two together. I understand Stevenl's argument re IDP's (per discussion in prior threads on this subject), but that was what was required of me.

Anybody can get a license without home license or IDP, but that means simply doing the practical tests.

Anybody can get a license without home license or IDP, but that means simply doing the practical tests.

Also the theory computer test.

Also the theory computer test.

And the eye tests, and ...

This is outright illegal advice, and on the very small chance you are found out will likely end you up in jail.

On the very small chance that any BIBs would catch me, and the even lesser chance that I would end up in jail I would produce some magical BAHT and the problem along with the BAHT would do a vanishing act, welcome to LOS

• Like 1

In theory I could get a motorbike licence in Australia prior to leaving, but that would take (I'm fairly sure) a lot more time, effort and money than doing so in Thailand, which is also the only place I'll need it in the foreseeable future.

Given that everyone here is saying you can get one while on a tourist visa (in my case not an exemption), then it def seems like the way to go.

The only bit of paperwork required that I'm not so familiar with is the Cert of Residence, but all you need for that is a letter or a contract from your landlord from what people have said above. Typically I've stayed in hotel type accommodation, while paying by the month, so that might be the only hiccup. I've stayed in basically the same hotel/condo for 3-6 months straight in the past, but I usually don't confirm that (with cash) at the outset.

Hopefully it won't be a prob, or I suppose I'd just make the conscious decision to move into a more permanent arrangement staying in a house or something with a lease/agreement longer than 1 month.

In theory I could get a motorbike licence in Australia prior to leaving, but that would take (I'm fairly sure) a lot more time, effort and money than doing so in Thailand, which is also the only place I'll need it in the foreseeable future.

Given that everyone here is saying you can get one while on a tourist visa (in my case not an exemption), then it def seems like the way to go.

The only bit of paperwork required that I'm not so familiar with is the Cert of Residence, but all you need for that is a letter or a contract from your landlord from what people have said above. Typically I've stayed in hotel type accommodation, while paying by the month, so that might be the only hiccup. I've stayed in basically the same hotel/condo for 3-6 months straight in the past, but I usually don't confirm that (with cash) at the outset.

Hopefully it won't be a prob, or I suppose I'd just make the conscious decision to move into a more permanent arrangement staying in a house or something with a lease/agreement longer than 1 month.

Get the property manager of your hotel/condo to photocopy their ID card and write and sign a short Thai "statutory declaration" stating you live there long term.

Take that to Immigration and they should give you a Certificate of Residency.

Right, thanks Namkangman.

The managers at the last place I was at were Burmese. Presumably they'd have ID cards, but do you know if their non-Thai nationality would be an issue for making stat-decs/equivalent? There's a solid chance I'll be renting there again, which is why I ask.

Right, thanks Namkangman.

The managers at the last place I was at were Burmese. Presumably they'd have ID cards, but do you know if their non-Thai nationality would be an issue for making stat-decs/equivalent? There's a solid chance I'll be renting there again, which is why I ask.

No, I wouldn't be asking the Burmese. You need to ask the person that the Burmese give the money to. :) :)

He/she will call into the office every now and then. See if you can catch them one day, or ring them and make a time to meet with them.

Explain what you would like, and why you need it, and it should be ok.

@Namkangman - Sure thing, will do. I can't say I was ever introduced to the "person they give the money to," in the whole time I stayed their previously, but there were (non-guest) people in and out of the reception room all the time, so maybe I saw them and just didn't know it.

Definitely good to know this in advance since I can ask the managers about it before right away before agreeing to move back in to be sure.

Just a quick side post to this thread. They really need an extra visa class for those who are self funded, yet under 50 years of age, or, lower the 50 year retirement visa age.

You seem to have more difficultly doing most things here when on a tourist visa.

What I would love to see, and would sign up for in a second, would be a shortened version of the ed visa - ie come and sign up for an accredited Thai language course for 6 months (instead of the current min of 1 year), and be granted that same kind of visa that you can renew in country after 90 days for a total of 2 x 90 day periods. I know this isn't something a place like Walen can offer currently, since it's the government that dictates the min length of stay for an Ed Visa*, but if they did, and the course fees were around 50%-65% of those for the full year, it'd be an attractive deal.

Personally, I can afford to stay in the Kingdom about 6-8 months on my current savings, but it would feel a bit of a waste to pay for a full 12 months and only use half that - even if I was able to get out of 1 or 2 uncomfortable visa runs.

* I'm not criticising them for doing things this, way, I'd just personally really, really like it if they did offer a 6 month alternative

It is incredibly ANNOYING when you start a post with "OK".........Please don't (sorry to be pedantic)

Does anyone else here feel the same way?

I've never heard of this being a thing before but as a fellow pedant I couldn't move past it, even Googling in search of further insight. Low and behold, unless EveryDayTheSame also posted a similar gripe on the Adobe forums under the name Doug Katz, they're not alone.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5363847

Are you Doug Katz, EveryDayTheSame?

If it's really bad form, I'll take it under advisement.