Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare

webfact

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that it is his name that generated the concern, not his appearance.

I have a friend who has a name similar (or the same -- don't know) on a no-fly list and he always gets pulled over for extra questioning and scrutiny. He gets to the airport ahead of time because he knows he will have trouble.

Why would he not answer questions without a lawyer present.

Based on my own experiences, I wouldn't answer one question or say one word without a lawyer present when it comes to anything "legal", words have a habit of being twisted and used against you.

I'd say that's that's probably good advice regardless of the country.

That is if one survives saying I won't answer any questions until I have a lawyer present.

• Like 1

Based on my own experiences, I wouldn't answer one question or say one word without a lawyer present when it comes to anything "legal", words have a habit of being twisted and used against you.

word ! or should i say rodw

Can anyone enlighten me as to why you would wonder the airport terminal for four days waiting to be questioned,why did he not stay in a hotel ?

To gain sympathy and cause an international incident.  If he is a U.S citizen why didn't he just go to the U.S embassy to find out what was going on?  Maybe that would have been to low key and no publicity

And why not if you get held because you look different ? Just put him on a public no fly list at least then you know before you fly and you can try to get off it. Land of the free *LOL* Secret this secret that. Sure terrorist don't play nice but to become the thing you hate most to counter them.. they won.
If somebody is "bad" enough to be put on a no fly list, surely he should be procecuted. If people get put on a no fly list just because of suspicions, not proof, it could be you and me next!

Upsetting innocent people may promote terrorism.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My guess is that it is his name that generated the concern, not his appearance.

I have a friend who has a name similar (or the same -- don't know) on a no-fly list and he always gets pulled over for extra questioning and scrutiny. He gets to the airport ahead of time because he knows he will have trouble.

Well, it was probably both. I had a similar experience but not so extreme: in 2004 I changed into a Nepali dress (daura surreal + dhaka topi) in the bathroom before decent to LAX from BKK. My mom was picking me up at the airport, and the show was for her, and the dress given to me by my in-laws. I was watched like a hawk as soon as I stepped out of the cabin toilet, and I had a hell of a time getting thru customs (detained, searched, and questioned endlessly). That was the last time I ever did that. T-shirt, baseball cap, and shorts for all future visits to the USA. So what does this say about America today? Intolerance to the extreme, where you can't wear what you want or look the way you want or heaven forbid you have a muslim name, travel freely. It's not the country I grew up in during the 60's, and not a place I would want to live now.

Radically changing your appearance on arrival is cause for suspicion of any number of crimes, and not necessarily those based on race or religion. Not something I would recommend.

BTW also a good idea to stay away from fertiliser before flying, unless you enjoy cavity searches.

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

Suspicion before respect.

it seems to me he dressed and looked muslim.

i was not awaree that muslim was synonymous with terrorist.

one would hope ther was more to it than simply appearance

• Like 1

Can anyone enlighten me as to why you would wonder the airport terminal for four days waiting to be questioned,why did he not stay in a hotel ?

To gain sympathy and cause an international incident. If he is a U.S citizen why didn't he just go to the U.S embassy to find out what was going on? Maybe that would have been to low key and no publicity

Maybe he didn't have a valid visa to leave.

9042494_vk.jpg

kcal9.com

I wonder why he has the potential for the no-fly list?

Got me stumped ... rolleyes.gif

IS this his REAL pic?

If so, I guess would spook many.

This is a photo from the news conference upon his arrival at LAX.

There is an article that can be read, along with many other items, if you Google his name.

You can come up with such things as his Facebook page, possibly another item that drew suspicion.

https://www.facebook.com/rehan.motiwala.5

I see nothing suspicious on his facebook page.

• Like 1

word ! or should i say rodw

Then you will sit and wait. You have no legal "right" to remain silent when transiting Thailand. You can stay quiet and you will be treated accordingly. Immigration laws allow for much greater leeway and intrusion than do criminal laws. It is why one's laptop, cellphone and camera can be searched when transiting immigration and customs at any border in the world.

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Thats the most stupid phrase i have ever heard in my whole life.

Since when there is a dresscode for Terrorists?

Have you ever been to a arab coutry ? I assume in your mind all peoples in there are terrorists.

You either American or dropped out of preshool already.

If that is so, all peoples with tatoos and flip-flops should be detained for possible Sex tourism, and everyone with more than 2000baht in the wallet for possible corruption.

P.s. troll as much as you like, i not follow this topic.

American and proud, for that matter. Ever see the photos of these terrorists after they are wanted for some act or even beforehand as a warning? What do they look like? This guy. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but 90 plus percent of them are Muslim. Take your PC crap elsewhere. This is why I can't stand most Euros; Aussies are fine.

• Like 2

To gain sympathy and cause an international incident. If he is a U.S citizen why didn't he just go to the U.S embassy to find out what was going on? Maybe that would have been to low key and no publicity

And why not if you get held because you look different ? Just put him on a public no fly list at least then you know before you fly and you can try to get off it. Land of the free *LOL* Secret this secret that. Sure terrorist don't play nice but to become the thing you hate most to counter them.. they won.
If somebody is "bad" enough to be put on a no fly list, surely he should be procecuted. If people get put on a no fly list just because of suspicions, not proof, it could be you and me next!

Upsetting innocent people may promote terrorism.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll take that risk. You are not compelled to fly into Australia, the UK, New Zealand, Canada or the USA as they share many of the names on the no fly list.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

Suspicion before respect.

it seems to me he dressed and looked muslim.

i was not awaree that muslim was synonymous with terrorist.

one would hope ther was more to it than simply appearance

You've been asleep for over 20 years, it sounds like.

It applies to those who also dress with long dred locks,and Bob Marley shirts there luggage is usually subject to more intense look as they may have some weed

It applies to those who also dress with long dred locks,and Bob Marley shirts there luggage is usually subject to more intense look as they may have some weed

Do you actually know that as a fact?? I seriously doubt it. Oh ... you "heard it somewhere" huh?

So you just give your respect to everybody that comes down the pike? Respect is earned laddy, not doled out indiscriminately.

• Like 1

from his FB page ....

so DHS/TSA/US Embassy wont let me board my transit flight from bangkok to frankfurt, and the thai immigration wont let me leave the bangkok airport. I am like Tom Hanks in The Terminal. please pray that I get back home soon and safe.

that solves the question about him not leaving the terminal