Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare

webfact

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

The only reason we have so much security at our airports, causing massive delays and frustration, and costing literally billions, is because people who look like the subject of this post, killed tens of thousands of people all over the world - in the name of their God and wearing "uniforms" like this.

No it is not nice - but if I am flying that day - I am very glad. What is most wrong is that the issue of his "no good identity" was not handled better.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being on a no fly list for an American trying to return home from a far off place like Thailand is different than a no fly list for a domestic U.S. flight. There, you can just drive or take a bus.

How do you get to the U.S. from Thailand without flying? The U.S. government if they are going to deny such boardings in Thailand needs to provide a way for citizens to get home, even if that means to jail or Gitmo.

Agreed JT

But the point is that in this age and time, there are security risks associated with flying.

If you cooperate with the security people things normally go smoothly

If you decide not to cooperate, be ready to find some other means home.

This is true for domestic AND international flights.

"The U.S. government if they are going to deny such boardings in Thailand needs to provide a way for citizens to get home, even if that means to jail or Gitmo. "

The individual decided not to cooperate. He needs to take responsibility. He should have called his lawyer (he said "not without a lawyer" correct? The dude needs to man up. He brought it on himself. He wanted to take a hard stand, And he paid for it. He got what he wanted.

I bet no other person on that flight objected.

just my 2 cents

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

Suspicion before respect.

What do terrorists dress like? Did any of the hijackers on September 11 dress like him? (No.)

Your second sentence makes no sense. Complete nonsense. But do you always recommend people should take terrorists as role models?

PC <deleted>.

Thing is no fly lists are a pain but a secret one is too much. If there is a secret one you can't even check if you are on it and save hardship. I understand the need to stop terrorists and such but sometimes the good ol US of A goes too far.

Just like spying on its allies that has been brought to light, though I still prefer the US over China as super power it starts to become a question who is the lesser evil. A country that has so much about freedom that spies on its allies, puts on secret no fly lists and such is not that free.

Stop terrorists?? Only if it does not suit the agenda of criminals like G.W.Bush and Cheeney - The 9/11 terrorists where all on official visas in the US!

5 years AFTER the CIA allerted the BND in Germany to put 2 of them on a watchlist!

How come this guy got a mattress?

Normally all detained prisoners in Thailand, be they convicted, on remand, illegal aliens awaiting deportation or simply unidentified have to "buy" a piece of newspaper or if they are lucky a flattened cardboard box to sleep on.

This sounds like a case of special treatment.

kcal9.com

I wonder why he has the potential for the no-fly list?

Got me stumped ... rolleyes.gif

IS this his REAL pic?

If so, I guess would spook many.

spooks my 5 yr old. We were in a shopping centre yesterday in Chiangmai (airport plaza) and there were a couple of families, the men dressed like this guy and the women in the full black burka. My 5 yr old son has never grabbed hold of me so tight and was petrified. He doesn't listen to the news and we have never mentioned muslims to him but still scared out of his skin by their appearance. The hajab doesn't worry him at all.
I used to be scared of Father Xmas.Your not teaching your son very well.

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

What do terrorists dress like? Did any of the hijackers on September 11 dress like him? (No.)

Your second sentence makes no sense. Complete nonsense. But do you always recommend people should take terrorists as role models?

PC <deleted>.

Look at my post and then your response; admit it (just to yourself) - that was a breathtakingly weak and stupid rebuttal.

Okay BrianCR - on YOUR next long-distance flight, we will seat you next to this "don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover" guy - see how YOU like that ! ! ! !

When in Rome ! ! ! ! !

This 'Medical Student' needs a shave and a bath and one helluva lot of deodorant !! !!

He looks like 1/2 Man; 1/2 Possum FCS ! ! ! !

Freedom of Religion: YES ! ! !

Freedom of Hygiene: NO ! ! !

bah.gif

"Freedom of Hygiene: NO ! ! !"

You can tell what he smells like from a photo?

If you said the same thing about a photo of an orthodox Jew, would you think that was OK?

• Like 1

9042494_vk.jpg

kcal9.com

I wonder why he has the potential for the no-fly list?

Got me stumped ... rolleyes.gif

I am guessing you equate long hair and facial hair to being a terrorist.

Why would he not answer questions without a lawyer present.

it is every one right not to do so

any thing you say CAN and WILL be held against ou in a court of law so better keep your mouth shut

Unless you have nothing to hide...

Really? Is that the ONLY time you can think of that you might not want to speak? Also, the guy said he didn't want to speak until he had a lawyer. He did not say he would not speak at all.

Is he the only guy you have ever seen with long hair and a full beard and mustache?

PC <deleted>.

Look at my post and then your response; admit it (just to yourself) - that was a breathtakingly weak and stupid rebuttal.

You should recognise this for what it is - an acknowledgement of bankruptcy. I love it when people play the 'political correctness' card: it shows that they have nothing left.

Why would he not answer questions without a lawyer present?

Four days at the airport, unable to fly out and a friendly US official comes with questions? I would also be tempted to tell the official to get himself a lawyer.

• Like 1

Oh, please. U.S. citizens don't get on no-fly lists only because they are devout Muslims and/or look like devout Muslims. I'm not suggesting everyone on the list deserves to be on the list but there is no way just being a devout Muslim is enough to make the list. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The whole premise of being on the 'secret' no fly list is flawed.

It was just his guess he was ever on it.

It takes months minimum to get off the non secret no fly list.

So someone just waved their arms and he got off the secret list and allowed to fly into LAX?

Big big stretch of logic there.

In Europe kids don't take guns to school - and use them. If Europe is having a hard time right now much of the blame can be levelled at US bankers who practice financial terrorist acts? Who provided the money for Pakistan to build its own atomic device? Who sold them F16s that the Pakis converted to deliver the same after Congress was assured that it couldn't be done? Who invaded a country under the pretext that WMP existed when the real excuse was to get their hands on oil? Whose company got all the oil contracts? Which country's security services and spooks regularly lie to Congress? Which country is pulling out all the stops to get their hands on a guy who lifted the covers so that the US electorate (and the rest of the World) could see just how rotten and corrupt the movers and shakers in Washington are?

Wow! That stuff caused the radicalization of Muslims to emigrate to Europe and/ or radicalized European Muslims?

Don't look now but you've got a huge chip on your shoulder...

• Like 1

And you would be the first to complain when a terrorist blows up a plane full of passengers, the authorities having knowledge that his recent associations had created a cause for concern. I am 100% behind the rights of the individual, but that includes the masses whom the authorities need to protect from terrorism. Remember, the terrorist needs to get it right ONCE, the Security Forces need to get it right ALL THE TIME, otherwise it is "good night Vienna" for a awful lot of people. Are you prepared to have that on your conscience with your "softly, softly approach?"

• Like 1

Why would he not answer questions without a lawyer present.

it is every one right not to do so

any thing you say CAN and WILL be held against ou in a court of law so better keep your mouth shut

Is that a Law in Thailand?

You know for sure?

Or is that just a popular grab from an American or UK police show?

EDIT ... not saying that it's not good advice ... but is it Thai Law?

A little common sense is all that is required.

Do you think that in an interview with any law enforcement organisation they will use anything you say IN YOUR FAVOR in court?

Seriously - once you get to court, law enforcement have decided you are guilty. As such, they will cherry pick what you said to prove their case. They do not have to provide full transcripts or use any information from interviews that makes their case weaker.

Talking to law enforcement officials outside of court can ONLY be used against you.

My guess is that it is his name that generated the concern, not his appearance.

I have a friend who has a name similar (or the same -- don't know) on a no-fly list and he always gets pulled over for extra questioning and scrutiny. He gets to the airport ahead of time because he knows he will have trouble.

Well, it was probably both. I had a similar experience but not so extreme: in 2004 I changed into a Nepali dress (daura surreal + dhaka topi) in the bathroom before decent to LAX from BKK. My mom was picking me up at the airport, and the show was for her, and the dress given to me by my in-laws. I was watched like a hawk as soon as I stepped out of the cabin toilet, and I had a hell of a time getting thru customs (detained, searched, and questioned endlessly). That was the last time I ever did that. T-shirt, baseball cap, and shorts for all future visits to the USA. So what does this say about America today? Intolerance to the extreme, where you can't wear what you want or look the way you want or heaven forbid you have a muslim name, travel freely. It's not the country I grew up in during the 60's, and not a place I would want to live now.

Or maybe they noticed you'd changed clothes and thought is suspicious.

You are jumping to conclusions.

Z

If those are pictures of the man ; quite apart from anything else , the sight of him would frighten other passengers , that their plane was due to be hyjacked or blown to pieces in flight .

If their paranoia bothers them that much,get off the plane,better still,stay home in your own cocoon.
  • Like 2

Ignorance before compassion and wisdom I suppose as well.

When I had my beard grown out, I was 'randomly selected' for extra security screening at every single airport except the one in Doha (I wonder why?!). My uncle has also shown up on the terrorist watch list before despite his top secret government clearance because he shares the name with an IRA terrorist.

And, of course, your "easier" and your "quicker" are obvious reformulations of what I said.

But hey, you guys need something to float that tired old garbage barge of opinion, bad science, geo-political malfeasance, and propaganda, so float away.

Problem for your disingenuous posturing is that Truth never dies.