Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare

webfact

Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare
by: By staff writers

ap.jpg
File photo: Survanabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- A PASSENGER claims he was left stranded for 10 days at Bangkok Airport, sleeping on a cockroach-infected mattress in a windowless detention room, over a secret no-fly list.

Rehan Motiwala a 29-year-old US citizen was trying to get home to his family in California, but airline staff in Bangkok had refused to grant him a boarding pass.

US and Thai officials said he wasn't allowed to travel but didn't give any explanation, so Motiwala assumed he'd been put on the US government's secret no-fly list, the Los Angeles Times reported.

He wandered the airport terminal for the first four nights, resting on benches, until a US Justice Departnment official arrived to question him.

When he said he didn't want to answer any questions without a lawyer present, he claims he was tossed into a detention centre in Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"They treat you like an animal," Motiwala said.
His nightmare ended on the weekend when he was finally given permission to fly out of Bangkok, but questions remain over his detention.

He claims he wasn't told why he was held, and US officials refuse to say who is on the list or why, arguing that any explanation could alert potential terrorists.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/secret-nofly-list-causes-bangkok-holiday-nightmare/story-e6frfq80-1226672365066

-- NEWS.com.au 2013-07-01

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone enlighten me as to why you would wonder the airport terminal for four days waiting to be questioned,why did he not stay in a hotel ?

Also, actually, as an American citizen, did he seek Consular Support?

I wonder?

With most things ... there is a lot more left unsaid.

What were the triggers which placed him initially (presumably) on the no-fly list?

A lot of unknowns for sure

• Like 2

9042494_vk.jpg

kcal9.com

I wonder why he has the potential for the no-fly list?

Got me stumped ... rolleyes.gif

IS this his REAL pic?

If so, I guess would spook many.

This is a photo from the news conference upon his arrival at LAX.

There is an article that can be read, along with many other items, if you Google his name.

You can come up with such things as his Facebook page, possibly another item that drew suspicion.

https://www.facebook.com/rehan.motiwala.5

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

Why would he not answer questions without a lawyer present.

it is every one right not to do so

any thing you say CAN and WILL be held against ou in a court of law so better keep your mouth shut

Is that a Law in Thailand?

You know for sure?

Or is that just a popular grab from an American or UK police show?

EDIT ... not saying that it's not good advice ... but is it Thai Law?

Edited by David48

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Please advise Homeland Security of your concerns...

• Like 2