Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare

webfact

Why would he not answer questions without a lawyer present.

it is every one right not to do so

any thing you say CAN and WILL be held against ou in a court of law so better keep your mouth shut

Is that a Law in Thailand?

You know for sure?

Or is that just a popular grab from an American or UK police show?

EDIT ... not saying that it's not good advice ... but is it Thai Law?

It actually has nothing to do with Thailand law. Keep in mind he was in International limbo and wanted a lawyer present to answer the questions posed to him from the two U.S. Justice Department reps. As he is a U.S. citizen those responses surely did have the potential to be used in a U.S. court of law.

• Like 1

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some postings can almost exclusively be associated with the attribute dumb² Posted Image

Global Terrorism database lists 4658 islamic terrorist incidents on 233 pages

Your evidence?

Better yet: who funds this so-called "Global Terrorism Data Base" ?

Who compiles it ?

Who gets benefit from such a data base ?

Who investigates and classifies these incidents ?

Pity, but... did you all think, to reduce the risk of a 5000 planes a day to be safer, would NEVER cause a just person to be treated unjust, so like a potential bomb-layer. ?

Before 1965 nobody had heared of a lugguage check at the entrance of a plane, no problems with taking any drinks on board, no no-fly lists, but.. also never heard of ISLAMIC bombs bringing planes down.

Did anybody ever think, what these ISLAMISTS bring a damage to the world flight economy, you and me have to pay with every flight for ?

Ever used Mahan, Etihad, Emirates and compared the anti-terrorist activities with... any American liner ?

Then you know, what we have to thank them for.

A question I would have is why didn't he go to Thai immigration and get a 30 stamp and stay in BKK while communicating with the US embassy and his family back home? Call his local congressmans office etc? I worked in a congressmans office for years and constituent services are high priority of the office.

He wanders around for 4 days in the terminal?

He was probably sleep deprived and stupid by the time he was interviewed.

Religion or no religion a reasonably intelligent person might get a shave a shower and visit the Consulate.

Can always regrow the beard or wear a fake one until it grows back.

"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" --- R.W. Emerson

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

Suspicion before respect.

People can't be judged just by the way they dress and it would be fair to say that people wishing to get away with a crime would possibly change their appearance. For example someone who wants to be a terrorist would know explicitly that he stands much more chance of doing the job if he DIDN'T look like the perceived idea of what a terrorist should look like!!! Anyone who seriously believes that you can tell a person by what he is wearing really doesn't understand much about the human race.

Many years ago Jean Paul Getty, who at that time was the richest man in the world, had a habit of (shall we say) dressing down. He went to a rather expensive London hotel where, the doorman refused him entry because of the way he was dressed, the next day Mr. Getty bought the hotel and sacked the doorman!

9042494_vk.jpg

kcal9.com

I wonder why he has the potential for the no-fly list?

Got me stumped ... rolleyes.gif

IS this his REAL pic?

If so, I guess would spook many.

This is a photo from the news conference upon his arrival at LAX.

There is an article that can be read, along with many other items, if you Google his name.

You can come up with such things as his Facebook page, possibly another item that drew suspicion.

https://www.facebook.com/rehan.motiwala.5

I see nothing suspicious on his facebook page.

So what are they supposed to do? Look through their facebook pages before letting them board? bah.gif

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

People can't be judged just by the way they dress and it would be fair to say that people wishing to get away with a crime would possibly change their appearance. For example someone who wants to be a terrorist would know explicitly that he stands much more chance of doing the job if he DIDN'T look like the perceived idea of what a terrorist should look like!!! Anyone who seriously believes that you can tell a person by what he is wearing really doesn't understand much about the human race.

Many years ago Jean Paul Getty, who at that time was the richest man in the world, had a habit of (shall we say) dressing down. He went to a rather expensive London hotel where, the doorman refused him entry because of the way he was dressed, the next day Mr. Getty bought the hotel and sacked the doorman!

People still do a lot of judging based on appearance. Maybe in the future perfect world.

I'm sure most Muslims know wearing a "I love pork BBQ" T shirt in Pakistan would not go over so well.

whistling.gif Here's a true story from about 2009. I knew this Greek girl it happened to.

She was engaged to be married to my American born USAF enlisted friend.

She worked on a U.S. base as a secretary of a USAF military officer.

She was submitted for a base access pass because of her job, and received one,

Later her and her American boyfriend became engaged. She applied for an I.D. card to shop in the military exchange after they were married.

Somehow, and no one quite knew how, she was mistakenly put on the Department of State "restricted access list" as not being allowed to enter the U.S. without special permission.

She and her fiancée were married , and for a honeymoon trip, he decided to take her to the U.S to met her new in-laws.

Now it turned out her first name (not last name, first name) was the same as a female member of the Greek Anarchist Party. Last name, translated from the Greek alphabet, was incorrectly spelled in English as the same as that female Greek Anarchist party member.

She and her husband got out of Athens on their flight to New York (the names were NOT the same in Greek, and the people in Greece in Athens easily saw the difference. No problem there.

However, on arrival in New York the TSA people refused to allow her entry because in English letters her name looked like the banned female Greek Anarchist party member.

She was allowed to leave after the TSA verified her identity .... but it took them several hours to make that verification.

Remember ... she worked as a USAF employee, and had a USAF I.D. card to verify her identity.

But she was on the "restricted access" list and that's why they wouldn't let her enter the U.S.

It was all due to a spelling mistake in her last name when it was translated from the Greek alphabet to English letters.

True story.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Okay BrianCR - on YOUR next long-distance flight, we will seat you next to this "don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover" guy - see how YOU like that ! ! ! !

When in Rome ! ! ! ! !

This 'Medical Student' needs a shave and a bath and one helluva lot of deodorant !! !!

He looks like 1/2 Man; 1/2 Possum FCS ! ! ! !

Freedom of Religion: YES ! ! !

Freedom of Hygiene: NO ! ! !

bah.gif

You must have a pretty big nose if you can tell his hygiene from a distance have you thought of becoming a sniffer dog?
  • Like 1

It sounds like you are too young to remember when Thailand (I think Admiral Kraivichien was the Prime Minister) used to refuse entry to anyone with hair longer than an active duty soldier, on the grounds that they looked like "hippies." Actually, now that I think of it, that policy was still in effect when Chatchai was Prime Minister, and might still b on the books, although obviously not enforced.

it seems to me he dressed and looked muslim.

i was not awaree that muslim was synonymous with terrorist.

one would hope ther was more to it than simply appearance

You've been asleep for over 20 years, it sounds like.

Maybe you've not met enough Muslims. I've been awake for nearly 60 years in case you're interested.

Please advise Homeland Security of your concerns...

I believe that YOUR homeland security behave more like terrorists than terrorists themselves!!!

Brilliant.

That makes as much sense as some of the other really stupid comments on this thread (granted a bit more ensemble than some).

• Like 1

"...arguing that any explanation could alert potential terrorists." You know, this is the official explanation, and is one of the stupidest arguments of all time. The poor schlub who is on the list is going to find out as soon as he is refused a boarding pass. Is he going to get a refund on his airline ticket? If, in fact, he is a terrorist, he will then be alerted. Since they are only denied access to the flight, not immediately arrested and interrogated, why does it matter that they are not alerted before going out to the airport? Why is the list not made public so people who are on it by mistake, or who have names like other people who are on the list, can do something about getting erroneous data corrected? Why is it so important that the process of putting people on the list be kept secret, anyway? Even the Tsarnaev's weren't on the list, but we often hear of perfectly innocent people being denied a flight.

By the way, if that photo is real and not something from The Onion, the guy was probably denied boarding because he looks like he's a dangerous maniac and would have scared the daylights out of the other passengers. I have no idea what a terrorist would look like, and have undoubtedly sat next to one on buses and airplanes, and in bars.

Okay BrianCR - on YOUR next long-distance flight, we will seat you next to this "don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover" guy - see how YOU like that ! ! ! !

When in Rome ! ! ! ! !

This 'Medical Student' needs a shave and a bath and one helluva lot of deodorant !! !!

He looks like 1/2 Man; 1/2 Possum FCS ! ! ! !

Freedom of Religion: YES ! ! !

Freedom of Hygiene: NO ! ! !

bah.gif

You must have a pretty big nose if you can tell his hygiene from a distance have you thought of becoming a sniffer dog?

'When in Rome' So jaapfries dresses to match the population where ever he/she goes. That should be fun to watch. Or does jaapfries mean dress in a way I like. You can't tell if he's had a bath although considering the circumstances it's likely that he hadn't but he might well do normally. Having a beard is not uncommon in many places in the world.

Oh and I would be happy to sit next to someone who looked like this and in fact I have. If he were a terrorist I doubt sitting across the aisle would help much anyway.

Many Muslims come from middle eastern countries like Saudi Arabia (Osama Bin Laden) and don't dress in this way either.

• Like 2

It sounds like you are too young to remember when Thailand (I think Admiral Kraivichien was the Prime Minister) used to refuse entry to anyone with hair longer than an active duty soldier, on the grounds that they looked like "hippies." Actually, now that I think of it, that policy was still in effect when Chatchai was Prime Minister, and might still b on the books, although obviously not enforced.

true i remember when cross the Malaysian border near hatyai with the train they got a big sign saying they can refuse entry based on not decent apearance and even wearing flipflops can be enough to not let you in ,, never had problems thou unshaven with a hangover and typical shorts and sleeveless shirt and flipflops

The US obviously keeps tracks of it's citizens going to countries with Muslim insurgents, and a history of terrorist activity.

That's probably what got the crosshairs pointed on him on the first place.

As for being thrown into a detention center, I'm pretty sure if he'd been dressed respectably, that would probably not have happened.

So wearing a Muslim Skullcap a beard and a traditional white shirt worn by many pakistani's makes him a terrorist ?? what a load of <deleted> a lot of Jewish people wear a skull cap a beard and conservative clothes and you dont hear of them being labelled as terrorists coz of how they look !

No it doesn't make him anything but it does raise some reasonable suspicions.

If it made him a Terrorist then he would not have flown to LAX after his stay in BKK.

Try traveling to Pershawar with a "Jesus is my Crusader" T shirt

Stupidity will never be fully legalized. Or I hope not anyway.

• Like 1

So wearing a Muslim Skullcap a beard and a traditional white shirt worn by many pakistani's makes him a terrorist ?? what a load of <deleted> a lot of Jewish people wear a skull cap a beard and conservative clothes and you dont hear of them being labelled as terrorists coz of how they look !

That is cos they don't go round blowing people up ya muppet and yes if they look like that and are Muslim who believes in Sharia law then that is exactly what they are. Would love to see you walking the streets of Pakistan lets see how long you would last. Open your eyes and see whats coming .