Top 3 little known but amazing attractions of Thailand!

Doi Inthanon -- highest mountain in Thailand. Ride all the way to the top on a motorbike if possible. Wonderful ride, weather, air, views, etc.

Hot Springs National Park at Fang. Don't know the name, but it's the only one there. Neat little cabins overlooking the Springs for rent cheap if you book off season. Great massages there, too.

Forget the name of the 3rd place. It's a large Royal Project around 20 KM SSW of Fang. Ang (?) Something. But it's the only one up there and it's right on the Myanmar border.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to like more rural areas, and am more familiar with the north and northeast of Thailand, so here are my recommendations:

(1) The loop from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Son and back to Chiang Mai. Most of the loop runs along the stunning mountains of the Thai-Burmese border, and even though it is recommended widely in travel books, seems to be relatively untouched by the masses. There are lots of cool side roads and other stops to explore as well, such as Ban Rak Thai on the border, and Soppong near the border.

(2) Issan, as someone else recommended. The image I had of Thailand before coming here, bamboo huts amidst rice fields, a laidback culture, etc., seems to come from Issan.

(3) Haven't been there, but I hear Nan province is very beautiful but largely untouched.

Edited by squarethecircle

Siam Niramit show in BKK (great performance of Dance and traditional Thai music, they even have a nice ancient village to enjoy before the show.

The little city (not sure of the Thai name). It is about an hour outside of BKK, it is a small park that you can ride a bicycle around and see exact replicas of ancient Thai buildings. See all of Thai culture and History in an hour.

That would be Ancient City ... out Samut Prakan way.

Map of how to visit.

Take the BTS train to the end of the line at Bearing (exit on the left side) and taxi on from there.

Taxi should be about 150 Baht.

Plus I agree with Siam Niramit recommendation.

Have been there 2 or 3 times over the years.. Have taken the whole family there, Thai and my Sister ... all loved it.

Top 3 outside bkk..

1. Koh samet... especially the beaches at bottom of the island (hire a bike)

2. Khao yai national park

3. Ladyboy show on koh tao... hilarious

:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1 - Sangkhlaburi - very scenic town, longest wooden bridge in Thailand, lovely guest house elevated over the water, also has a submerged temple in the lake, top half of the temple is still visible, some amazing photo opportunities and very peaceful location. N 15.144091 E 98.449945

2 - Cycling along the beachfront road in Chanthaburi. Nice quality road plenty of changes in elevation.

3 - Golf at Soi Dao Highlands near Chanthaburi. Unreal golf course and great value for money.

• Like 1

Yes Lake and David you are right Ancient City in Samut Prakan. It has been 10 years since I have been, I just couldn't remember the exact name, thanks for reminding me. I will definitely take my daughter there next year. I just thought it was a lot of fun and definitely different than most tourist things. I tend to enjoy the things that more Thais frequent than foreigners.

I think the biggest let down for me was the floating market. I grew up seeing pictures of the way it was in the 40-70s. Then when I first came in the 90's there wasn't a traditional market just tourist crap and over crowded.

Anek Kuson Sala (Viharnra Sien): The absolutely amazing but surprisingly little known Chinese-Thai museum in Jomtien near the Buddha Mountain and Silverlake Vinyard.

The museum is four stories tall and contains a stunning collection of ancient Chinese figures, scrolls, artifacts, military weaponry and Armour.

It is the only museum outside of China to be given permanent custody of a genuine Terra Cotta Warrior from the underground Terra Cotta Army discovered 30 years ago. They also have three thousand year old war chariots on display. On the upper levels are wonderful displays of ancient musical instruments, theater masks and puppets, dioramas of military battles and village life and some amazingly intricate wood carvings of wildlife. There are also several rooms with huge golden Buddahs.

There is a 2nd floor outdoor terrace with a collection of more than 20 life size bronze statues of martial arts warriors at the peak of action. This terrace is exposed to the direct sun and gets frying pan hot. Shoes can not be worn so be sure to bring a heavy pair of socks to protect your feet.

This museum was built by the Chinese-Thai Business Assoc. to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Kings coronation. For some reason it gets little publicity though many Chinese tour buses come there. Many people who live just a few miles away do not know it exists. Once you go, I can almost guarantee you will want to go again and again...it's that good. Admission is B50.

Sorry; I did try to find the map co-ordinates but could not.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

1) Chai Nat Bird Park

........... consisting of the largest birds cage within Asia (covering an area of 26 rais). There are several smaller cages within the giant ones. Birds are set to fly freely in those cages. The park also features artificial waterfall, greenery playground, snakes farm, rabbit farm, mid-pond pavilion houses, handcraft shops and freshwater acquarium. The Birds Farm is open from 08.00 to 17.00 hrs.

2) ?

3)?

2 & 3 will have to wait as I cannot remember :P

I tend to like more rural areas, and am more familiar with the north and northeast of Thailand, so here are my recommendations:

(1) The loop from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Son and back to Chiang Mai. Most of the loop runs along the stunning mountains of the Thai-Burmese border, and even though it is recommended widely in travel books, seems to be relatively untouched by the masses. There are lots of cool side roads and other stops to explore as well, such as Ban Rak Thai on the border, and Soppong near the border.

(2) Issan, as someone else recommended. The image I had of Thailand before coming here, bamboo huts amidst rice fields, a laidback culture, etc., seems to come from Issan.

(3) Haven't been there, but I hear Nan province is very beautiful but largely untouched.

[/quote

#1, Agree with this route however if you plan to do it by motorbike, make sure the brakes are in top condition as there are many very steep downgrades with sharp curves below and engine compression, even in first gear is not enough for most 100-125CC bikes to control speed. I made the mistake of doing it 2-up and my poor GF had to walk down (and up) many steep hills.

This route is also beautiful starting or finishing in Chaing Rai.

#2, the loop from Udon Thani through Nong Bua Lamphu to Loei and the National park, then return thru North Western Udon is a really lovely drive.

#3, Nan is beautiful but kind of overrun with backpackers . Neighboring PHAYAO is less overrun, has beautiful scenery and an interesting history.

Edited by dddave

the seven storey cave in Khanom, ask the guy downstairs at the fruit plantation for the key, take good shoes and a light, there will be no one else there

Pokarani, swim into the huge cave, if weather is fine, stunning

Songkhla Lake, bird wildlife, take a private boat tour out there and enjoy

No offense intended but I would like to ask a simple 21st century question: Why list great places to go without providing their GPS coordinates so people can readily locate them?

I would like to ask a personal question why not post a map so people with out a GPS can find these places?

That way all could see where they are.

Good point but GPS coordinates are not just for people with GPS units; both Google Earth and Google Maps can use GPS coordinates in their search function to exactly pinpoint a location. FYI - GPS coordinates are just longitude and latitude expressed in degrees and minutes to three decimal places (instead of seconds).

• Like 2

No offense intended but I would like to ask a simple 21st century question: Why list great places to go without providing their GPS coordinates so people can readily locate them?

Really.. why should we ? you never heard of MAPS,google,google earth.. Bit of groundwork.. Lazy git.. no offense intended.. biggrin.png

One good reason is that English translations of Thai locations can be written differently and still be phonetically correct, but only one of those translations will get you there on Google Maps. If you like a location enough to recommend it to others then please help them find it.

An excellent answer; much better than mine!

1. Naman tonbon. A big reservoir about 10k south of Loei. I live next to it & love the place. Enjoy lunch on a raft with your family with spectacular scenery for a few hundred baht. Great fishing too. Very popular with Thais but rarely see any farang. They don't advertise so only word of mouth brings people there.

2. Phu hin Ronkla. NW of Phetchabun. A great bike ride to the top of the mountain & national park with lots to see. Cool place to go camping or rent a chalet. Take your own beer though because not allowed to sell in national parks.

3. One for the kids. ( We took 30 kids from our village a few months ago & they absolutely loved it!) Korat Zoo & water theme park. A great day out.

• Like 1

I'll add 3 more:

1. Phimai Historical Park. Beautiful Khmer Temple, just north of Khorat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimai_historical_park

2. Phu Phan Ratchaniwet Palace, near Sakon Nakhon. One of the King's winter palaces. Amazing gardens. http://www.tourismthailand.org/See-and-Do/Sights-and-Attractions-Detail/Phu-Phan-Ratchaniwet-Palace--3809

3. Pha Taem National Park. Has some interesting cave paintings and waterfalls and flower fields if there during the right season: http://www.tourismthailand.org/See-and-Do/Sights-and-Attractions-Detail/Pha-Taem-National-Park--895

Jeez...have to add one more:

Phanom Rung Historical Park. The largest and best restored Khmer monument in Thailand. Stunning. http://www.tourismthailand.org/See-and-Do/Sights-and-Attractions-Detail/Phanom-Rung-Historical-Park--839

• Like 2

Ban Rak Thai (north of Mae HS)

-- since i don't have gps and never used one i suggest u look it up yourself --

- great setting + nice windy road to get there (I went with motorcycle)

- very little farang (if any)

- great history (KMT, drugs, jade, etc)

- bring binoculars, install yourself at one of the thai army checkpoints/small bases and observe UWSA, SSA and Tatmadaw on their respective hills/positions.

1. My front porch.

2. My house.

3. My garden behind my house.

coffee1.gif

Thanks for the invitation. So - how do I get there?

Turn left when you exit the parking area at Suvarnaphumi, then a right turn up to the highway, then straight ahead for 3 hours. wink.png

Looking forward to seeing you. wai.gif

1. Khao Sok National Park - staying in the raft houses and kayaking around the lake.

2. Umphang - jungle trek, including rafting along the river, camping on a beach and in the jungle and swimming in Thee Lor Sue waterfall.

3. Hiring a moped and disappearing out into the countryside - favourites so far; Nan province, Samui & Koh Phangan.

Im with Craigt,

Phimai and especially Phanom Rung are out standing examples of 1000 year old restored temples.

Three More

1.In Nong Phok amphoe in Roi-Et provence there is a huge 101 metre tall pagoda style temple that is still being built. Amazing detail. Phra Maha Chedi Chai Mongkol (Thai: พระมหาเจดีชัยมงคล)16.333442,104.320457

2.Chaing Khan in Loei provence on the Mekong is a fine example of a village from another era. Its quaint wooden houses line narrow streets.

5km down stream is Kaeng Khut Khu is a rapid in the Mekong. You will find the thai version of Ray Charles belting out wild Issan riffs on a crazy homebuilt electric guitar. Twenty two kilometres by road,upstream is a large Buddha that over looks Laos 17.819056,101.554545 quite impressive views from here.

3, Sirindhorn Museum also called by Google earth "I-San Jurassic Park Thailand" This has an amaxing display of dinosaurs. One of the best museums in Thailand 16.693143,103.524164

I'll add 3 more:

1. Phimai Historical Park. Beautiful Khmer Temple, just north of Khorat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimai_historical_park

2. Phu Phan Ratchaniwet Palace, near Sakon Nakhon. One of the King's winter palaces. Amazing gardens. http://www.tourismthailand.org/See-and-Do/Sights-and-Attractions-Detail/Phu-Phan-Ratchaniwet-Palace--3809

3. Pha Taem National Park. Has some interesting cave paintings and waterfalls and flower fields if there during the right season: http://www.tourismthailand.org/See-and-Do/Sights-and-Attractions-Detail/Pha-Taem-National-Park--895

Jeez...have to add one more:

Phanom Rung Historical Park. The largest and best restored Khmer monument in Thailand. Stunning. http://www.tourismthailand.org/See-and-Do/Sights-and-Attractions-Detail/Phanom-Rung-Historical-Park--839

Edited by Whitworthsocket