Russia's anti-gay laws have teeth -- gay priders assaulted

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw Steven Fry (the gay British actor comedian) criticising the new Russian laws and linking it to Sochi, I thought - fair enough, but if you really want to speak out, why not say something about the upcoming football/soccer championship in Quatar where same-sex sex is still punishable by stoning to death.

When I saw Steven Fry (the gay British actor comedian) criticising the new Russian laws and linking it to Sochi, I thought - fair enough, but if you really want to speak out, why not say something about the upcoming football/soccer championship in Quatar where same-sex sex is still punishable by stoning to death.

Two points, dude.

1. This thread is about RUSSIA. A specific issue. It is not about Qatar. Protesting the granting of major games to Qatar is a worthy issue but a DIFFERENT one. Also with an Islamic country, you're getting into the thorny area of SHARIA law, something westerners pretty much have no hope of ever influencing.

2. I think you have posted misinformation. The criminilization of homosexuality in Qatar is bad, but did you just make up a story about stoning laws? Because I don't think they exist.

Since 2004, Article 296 of the current Penal Code (Law 11/2004)[3] stipulate imprisonment between 1 and 3 years for sodomy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

Edited by Jingthing

Two points, dude.

1. This thread is about RUSSIA. A specific issue. It is not about Qatar. Protesting the granting of major games to Qatar is a worthy issue but a DIFFERENT one. Also with an Islamic country, you're getting into the thorny area of SHARIA law, something westerners pretty much have no hope of ever influencing.

2. I think you have posted misinformation. The criminilization of homosexuality in Qatar is bad, but did you just make up a story about stoning laws? Because I don't think they exist.

Since 2004, Article 296 of the current Penal Code (Law 11/2004)[3] stipulate imprisonment between 1 and 3 years for sodomy.

Old chap, the thread is not about Russia, it is about victimisation of homosexuals in Russia. Doesn't seem too far off topic to make a comparison with a similar sporting event in an even more gay-hostile country.

The last time I was in Quatar, it was governed by Sharia Law, which in the case of male same-sex sex was traditionally punished by stoning to death; this punishment is still in force in some gulf countries.

According to your wiki link, Sharia was abolished in Quatar in 2003... but

" In 2013, it was announced that all Gulf Cooperative Countries had agreed to establish some form of, yet unknown, testing in order to ban gay foreigners from entering any of the countries. [2] "

Edited by bundoi

I think you can't prove the stoning assertion because it's pretty clear it is FALSE. I suggest unless you've got some hard facts which counter the SPECIFIC legal code cited in Wiki, that you stop spreading this kind of misinformation.

Again, yes THIS topic is really about Russia, and it really isn't about Qatar. Why is that so hard to understand?

You are free and welcome to open a new topic about Qatar. I agree with you it's a worthy issue but a different one.

Edited by Jingthing

This is from the Pink News:

Russian actor who called for gays to be put in ovens urges Putin to ban homosexuality

A Russian sitcom actor, who had previously proposed burning all gay people alive in an oven, has written an open letter to President Vladimir Putin, urging him to restore a Soviet-era law banning homosexuality.

The Moscow Times reports Ivan Okhlobystin repeatedly had tried to publish the letter on TwitLonger.com, but each time the text appeared to have been deleted with hours or even minutes of publication.

“I didn’t delete” the text, Okhlobystin said in Twitter messages. “Somebody deleted for me!”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/08/russian-actor-who-called-for-gays-to-be-put-in-ovens-urges-putin-to-ban-homosexuality/

Interesting bit of news from Russia:

"Russia's powerful Orthodox Church proposed Friday a referendum on banning gay relations in the face of Western pressure over human rights ahead of next month's Winter Olympics in Sochi.

The Church's abrupt intervention came amid a growing debate over whether the Kremlin should mount a stronger defence of traditional values that many in the overwhelmingly conservative country view as coming under attack from Europe and the United States.

Church spokesman Vsevolod Chaplin pointed to polls showing more than half of Russians viewing homosexuality as either an illness or a crime as a sign that the country was ready to revert to a Soviet-era homosexual ban."

I was gonna post this in the thread 'What has god ever done for us?' This bit of news would fit there nicely! But probably better post it here.

Full story here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/10/russia-orthodox-church-gay-sex_n_4574854.html

Two points, dude. 1. This thread is about RUSSIA. A specific issue. It is not about Qatar. Protesting the granting of major games to Qatar is a worthy issue but a DIFFERENT one. Also with an Islamic country, you're getting into the thorny area of SHARIA law, something westerners pretty much have no hope of ever influencing. 2. I think you have posted misinformation. The criminilization of homosexuality in Qatar is bad, but did you just make up a story about stoning laws? Because I don't think they exist.
Old chap, the thread is not about Russia, it is about victimisation of homosexuals in Russia. Doesn't seem too far off topic to make a comparison with a similar sporting event in an even more gay-hostile country. The last time I was in Quatar, it was governed by Sharia Law, which in the case of male same-sex sex was traditionally punished by stoning to death; this punishment is still in force in some gulf countries. According to your wiki link, Sharia was abolished in Quatar in 2003... but " In 2013, it was announced that all Gulf Cooperative Countries had agreed to establish some form of, yet unknown, testing in order to ban gay foreigners from entering any of the countries. [2] "
And that is why Quatar will not be hosting Olympics any time soon.Soccer championship can not be compared with Olympic Games. Alltho I agree that Quatar should not be country to host any large international event.Brutal dictatorships, countries with terrible human rights record, should be not honoured and given respect, that comes with hosting big international evebts. If Russia wasn't chosen to host Olympics games of 2014, and Russia would apply today to host Olympics in 2018, their application wouldn't even be considered. In 2007 or so, when Russia won the bidding to host the games, it was a very different country then.Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting video doc from VICE about being young and gay in Putin's Russia.

Parts 1 and 2 available now, 3 through 5 produced later.

Parts 3 through 5 are now available. Well worth a watch for those interested in the anti-gay oppression in Putin's Russia.

Violence against gays in Russia on the increase. Thanks to Putin. There is nothing to like about Putin and now he gets a global propaganda show in Sochi.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/01/30/gay_russia_under_putin_brutal_bloody_and_horrifying.html

Ever since virulently homophobic Russian President Vladimir Putin pushed through a law effectively outlawing openly gay people, the country’s LGBTQ community has, predictably, been plagued by violence. Now a study published in Harvard University’sHealth and Human Rights journal confirms what myriad horrific anecdotes suggest: Gay people in Russia are being beaten, raped, and murdered at record rates—and the government is doing little to stop it.

Enough with the humor.

An interesting analysis of the close parallels between historical antisemitism and modern homophobia relating specifically to Putin's RUSSIA:

Recently, a totalitarian law passed in Russia that prohibits words or actions considered remotely positive about gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender individuals. It labels any accurate information or support for the LGBT community “propaganda.”

-

History informs us that scapegoating vulnerable minorities is a risky proposition that can easily spin out of control. A book about the Black Plague by John Kelly, The Great Mortality, reveals some disturbing parallels between anti-Semitism in Middle Age Europe and the current Russian crackdown on LGBT people.

http://open.salon.com/blog/jlw1/2013/08/06/parallels_russian_homophobia_european_anti-semitism

OK, I'm not getting it: Why are you posting it here?

It does tie in with all the other anti-Russian comments on this thread, luckily as a Canuck I never saw Russia as an enemy, only saw them as damn good hockey players :)

Aside from the politics the games are a few days away, can't wait & I'll be glued to the TV waiting for Golds.

I gave up on this thread a long time ago and was merely pointing out that anything anti-Russian has a home in this thread.

Twist as you will, that the video is now about diversity however the posting intent was meant to be anti Russian. It's no longer a debate or discussion it's just links to perpetuate the cause as you see it.

Edited by ToddWeston

I gave up on this thread a long time ago and was merely pointing out that anything anti-Russian has a home in this thread.

Twist as you will, that the video is now about diversity however the posting intent was meant to be anti Russian. It's no longer a debate or discussion it's just links to perpetuate the cause as you see it.

No. The posting was intending to promote sexual diversity civil rights in Russia.

Yes, I am anti-Putin. Any sensible person would be -- he's the strongman leader of a thugocracy.

That is not the same thing as being anti-Russian. If you can't get that, I am sorry.

No. The posting was intending to promote sexual diversity civil rights in Russia.

Yes, I am anti-Putin. Any sensible person would be -- he's the strongman leader of a thugocracy.

That is not the same thing as being anti-Russian. If you can't get that, I am sorry.

Don't be sorry , we don't agree no biggie. Edited by ToddWeston