Taking sword out of country

ivowatson

I bought an antique looking sword/large dagger at a local market and want to take it with me to South-Africa next week. Can I just put it in my checked luggage? Do I have to declare it or do I need a written permission?

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll check with S-A customs.

The length of the blade is usually the deciding factor to be able to get it straight through customs, otherwise you will most likely need a permit for it as an antique, or for martial arts demonstrations etc.

Some of the swords here are made without a sharp edge, so are for display purposes only, and despite the length of the blade, may be allowed through customs.

Take a gamble if u don't want to research if it is a prohibited item. Declare it and see if they take it from you. You shouldn't get charged if you declare it and it is illegal.

I thought they had enough weopons in South Africa.

You can put it in your Checked luggage but I do not know if the South African customs will allow it. Australia will not.

Partly right, partly wrong... Australia allows a lot of swords AND knives...double sided weapons are definitely a no no, and so are some single edged knives, e.g. trench knives. I have taken a number of Japanese swords back, with NO problem, here's a hint, declare them, even though they are legal, the reason being, you are taken out of the normal immigration line, to your very own personal one, you actually get out quicker.

Edited by Rorri

Thai customs less likely to be interested as you are leaving - but as mentioned your SA customs will pick it up when they x-ray your luggage on arrival, this happens as the luggage is processed BEFORE it comes out on the luggage carousel.

You would be wise to have something in the form of a document (be creative!) that states that it is an antique piece of collectable value, then simply having it in your luggage waiting to be found and then arguing the toss with customs staff.

Most countries consider a sword of any type a weapon and SA does consider weapons restricted, however if it is of historic value it is probably an exception, which is why you need a document to support this case (even if it is something that you have created purporting to be from some Thai expect retailer) .

I suggest the issues that make it a problem will be length, whether it is single or double bladed; double edged weapons are almost always banned, also blades that have a triple blade (a WW I design) are also banned - they were designed to be difficult to stitch up and cure medically.

Not by cavity smuggling....

But seriously, most countries consider knifes/swords that are blunt as decorative objects.

If it is not blunt it is considered a weapon.

Anyway you should just declare it and hope for the best.

Edited by Espen

About 20 years ago a Thai client gave me a full size authentic Thai war sword (these are lethal!). His wife had it wrapped in bubble wrap and brown tape and told me to carry it as hand luggage as I was in business class. The check-in staff said fine, no problem. The security check staff told me to put it through the x-ray machine. Great to see how the screen warnings flash up complete with sound effects! A senior officer took me to one side and said they would put the sword on the plane and I could collect it at Heathrow, then took my name and passport details etc. At Heathrow, it came up the luggage belt - just before the first case. I picked it up and walked through customs with my other luggage without any problems.

A few years ago, we moved to the UAE. Two shipping companies came to view our possessions and quote for packing and shipping. Neither would allow taking my sword or collection of histoirc military bayonets. Both said its the receiving country that usually has rules to prohibit what you can take in; and that these rules have been significantly tightened over the last few years by most countries. In the same vain, as we all know, airlines are now much stricter about what they will allow you to carry on the plane.

I would put this in your check-in luggage and wrap it well first. Don't attempt to hand carry and rely on the airline "bording it" as they with my sword. That was back in the days when you could have a small pocket knife and not get it confiscated! I'd really suggest you check with RSA customs as well. Remember in some countries in coming luggage is x-rayed before being sent up the belt - don't know if RSA does this or not.

Hope this info useful.

• Like 1

I thought they had enough weopons in South Africa.

You can put it in your Checked luggage but I do not know if the South African customs will allow it. Australia will not.

Partly right, partly wrong... Australia allows a lot of swords AND knives...double sided weapons are definitely a no no, and so are some single edged knives, e.g. trench knives. I have taken a number of Japanese swords back, with NO problem, here's a hint, declare them, even though they are legal, the reason being, you are taken out of the normal immigration line, to your very own personal one, you actually get out quicker.

My normal trick with the AUS customs is, if you have something which is questionable mark the card as something to declare then when you get to customs inspection they will ask you what it is you have to declare. Perhaps declare that you have 2 ltrs of alcohol (which is legal but needs to be declared) then they will OK you & send you on your way without a baggage search. Just take the attitude that "when ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise"!! It has always worked for me.

Traversing other countries (such as Singapore) may also be an issue which should be researched.

OK if you book your cases straight through.

On the odd occasion where I have had to transit Singapore with potential contraband like knives and other weapons the Singaporeans take a dim view of, you can actually leave your luggage inside the airport. Its after you clear immigration and before you enter the declaration queue downstairs

Traversing other countries (such as Singapore) may also be an issue which should be researched.

On the odd occasion where I have had to transit Singapore with potential contraband like knives and other weapons the Singaporeans take a dim view of, you can actually leave your luggage inside the airport. Its after you clear immigration and before you enter the declaration queue downstairs

What about if you are on air asia.

What about if you are on air asia.

T1 2 or 3 and your sweet, budget and your screwed

put it in a luggage bag pack nicely with original box receipt as it will look like a souvenier nothing will hapen here and on the middle the problem is when u arrive RSA this articles is may be in question if known by them. however it just a knife/ sword you buy at a night market suggest u leave it here its no worth it with for the trouble you going to encounter..