Transfer of Permission to Stay stamp from old British Passport to New.

My wife and I both had Non-O visas and left the country and re-entered before the expiry of the visa.We are therefore in possession of a permission to stay stamp until August 16.Since being stamped in we have had to renew our passports and thought it would simply be a matter of transferring the stamp to the new passport.We are being told by an agent who contacted Immigration on our behalf that the expired visa has to be transferred to the new passport but I cannot see an Immigration form to facilitate this.Has anybody else faced this situation?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Visit your local immigration office they will put the necessary stamps in your passport. I've done it. I do not think that there is a form to be filled out as such. The service is suppose to be free, but Sakhon Immigration demanded money for this service.

A visa is never transferred, but an extension of stay is. If you got 90 days on a visa entry, you do not have to do anything. They will take care of it at the border when you show both old and new passport.

If you plan to apply for an extension of stay, you will need to visit immirgation and they will take care of it there.

The form you will need to transfer the details is form:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/transferstamp.doc

or form

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/changenewpassport.doc

(Form depends on if you have a new paspsort with extension of stay or not)

Also if you have a multiple entry visa or a tourist visa with remaining entries it will not be transferred over to you new passport meaning you will have to use both passports until you get a new visa.

You use the old passport upon entry to use your visa. Entry/Permit to stay stamp will be put in new passport.

Your local immigration office may also require Embassy letters for you and your wife as per the attachment. If they do, just show up at the Embassy in person between 8.00am & 11.00am Mondays-Fridays with old and new passports and the Embassy should issue the letters on the spot and at no charge.

Alternatively, should you live a fair way from Bangkok, you might like to ask the Embassy whether they would be prepared to issue these letters to you by post, subject to your emaling them the required info. Certainly they were willing to do this for me after I had renewed my passport several months ago.

Your local immigration office may also require Embassy letters for you and your wife as per the attachment. If they do, just show up at the Embassy in person between 8.00am & 11.00am Mondays-Fridays with old and new passports and the Embassy should issue the letters on the spot and at no charge.

Alternatively, should you live a fair way from Bangkok, you might like to ask the Embassy whether they would be prepared to issue these letters to you by post, subject to your emaling them the required info. Certainly they were willing to do this for me after I had renewed my passport several months ago.

Embassy letter now attached (sorry, forgot to click Attach This File). Was unable to include the attachment through editing my post for some mysterious reason, with the result that my inadvertent omission is rather more transparent than I would have liked.

post-63387-0-85630100-1372748185_thumb.j

Edited by OJAS

OP has a visa entry meaning he does not need to go to immigration.

It will be taken care of by imigration on departure.

My understanding is that their visas have now expired and that their current stamps do need to be transferred to the new passports:

"My wife and I both had Non-O visas and left the country and re-entered before the expiry of the visa.We are therefore in possession of a permission to stay stamp until August 16."

I understand the Embassy no longer give such letters as there is a page in the new passport which covers it.

Can you please scan and attach the relevant page since it doesn't appear to be included in my own relatively new passport?

1) See pinned topics for the appropriate form.

2) Embassy letter wasn't necessary @ 03/13.

Though the letter isn't necessary I have read on TV that some immigration offices still require one, I don't know if CW is one of them.

My understanding is that their visas have now expired and that their current stamps do need to be transferred to the new passports:

"My wife and I both had Non-O visas and left the country and re-entered before the expiry of the visa.We are therefore in possession of a permission to stay stamp until August 16."

Which can be done on departure. They do not have extensions of stay only a visa entry.

The same thing happened to me two months ago and it's easily resolved, just visit the Immigration office (or a decent visa agent) and tell them you want the stamp transfered. The stamp you will be refering to is not your current visa extention stamp but another one that describes the details of you orginal visa, if you're only on your second passport since your first got your initial visa you may not have ever seen this - I'd had three passports and never seen it because I never asked for it and it was never demanded, only a trip to a visa agent two months ago for other reasons pointed out the need for it hence one was created by Immigration Dept rather than being transfered, crazy I know but it's all no big deal.

As those who know have tried to say if you are on a 90 day visa entry you do not go to immigration - you just take care of it on next exit of the country. It is only those on extensions of stay that must visit immigration for the transfer of that extension.

• 1 month later...

A visa is never transferred, but an extension of stay is. If you got 90 days on a visa entry, you do not have to do anything. They will take care of it at the border when you show both old and new passport.

If you plan to apply for an extension of stay, you will need to visit immirgation and they will take care of it there.

The form you will need to transfer the details is form:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/transferstamp.doc

or form

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/changenewpassport.doc

(Form depends on if you have a new paspsort with extension of stay or not)

So which exactly is for a new passport that replaced an expired, and needs the old "extension of stay" transferred to the new? I've read them both and sadly, I am still farang-confused!

My new 90-day report date is still 6 weeks off.

Also, these forms state "Bangkok Immigration", so do we still use the same at Jomtien Immigration?

Finally, I wonder if anyone knows how "quickly" one should scoot down to Immigration once the new passport is in hand? I assume waiting for the next trip to do a 90-day report is not advisable? (or is it?

Not sure what you are asking!

If you have a new passport just take it to the immigration office together with your old passport.

The immigration people will transfer what is needed to the new passport.

That is as simple as I can make it !

So which exactly is for a new passport that replaced an expired, and needs the old "extension of stay" transferred to the new? I've read them both and sadly, I am still farang-confused!

I am farang-confused by what you are seeking to ask here!

Also, these forms state "Bangkok Immigration", so do we still use the same at Jomtien Immigration?

Should be no problem AFAIK.

Finally, I wonder if anyone knows how "quickly" one should scoot down to Immigration once the new passport is in hand? I assume waiting for the next trip to do a 90-day report is not advisable?

Sooner rather than later is probably better IMHO. A combined op with a 90-day report might result in a long drawn-out session, especially at Jomtien!