Canadian expat, 64, faces deportation from Phuket for visa overstay

webfact

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, deportation is enough punishment. Jail time for overstaying is OVER the top.

Well he will be 'held' until he can be deported which I think is perfectly fair.

I think a bit of time in custody is appropriate, he not only broke Thai law with a very long overstay, he lied to the authorities too.

It appears he may have had some association with 'Thailand Direct Real Estate' so do we add working without a permit to the list?

Bingo! You nailed that one...Pure genius! On a three year overstay??? hmmmm.. Here is a great idea! .Post your Business on social media, and hand out business cards all day. Pure genius! Wow.

I did hear a story about someone who got fined and deported after many years.

Back in UK changed his name by deed poll, new DL, Credit Cards, Med Records, Passport......been living quite happily for some time in..........

And is now posting on Thaivisa using the avatar "uptheos" whistling.gif

Btw. Congrats on 10.000 posts! Well done Sir.WPFflags.gif

Yes, 10,000 and not banned. Not bad. thumbsup.gif

THAI IMMIGRATION INTRODUCES JAIL TIME FOR OVERSTAYERS

VISA OVERSTAY: The Untold Story

Jail time for foreigners

idc-bangkok.jpg

Immigration Detention Center, Suan Phlu, Bangkok

-- File photo

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Allegedly tired of overstaying foreigners arriving at Suvarnabhumi airport with a valid air ticket and the maximum fine of 20,000 baht in their hands, the Immigration Department is now arresting and jailing people before permitting them to leave Thailand.

Anybody who has overstayed a valid visa in Thailand beyond a period of six weeks (42 days) is no longer permitted to simply turn up with the cash and an air ticket and leave the country after filling in a few forms and handing over the wedge.

For many years now it has been possible for people on long overstay to simply gather together the maximum fine under law of 20,000 baht, purchase an air ticket, travel to Suvarnabhumi and leave Thailand after completing a few formalities. With a change in the command at the top of the Immigration Department ladder this has now altered and anyone whose overstay is 42 days or longer is likely to be arrested.

People on overstay of less than three weeks (21 days) are still able to arrive at the airport with the correct amount of folding stuff, pay the fine due and leave Thailand.

The grey area is for those whose overstay falls in the period between three and six weeks; that is, between 22 and 41 days. They can potentially have a problem. It is being suggested anyone whose overstay falls into this time frame should be aware that it will be up to the Immigration officer and his superiors at an airport or land border crossing to decide whether to detain the recalcitrant foreigner or permit him, or her, to leave unhindered, after payment of the overstay fine has been levied.

As with many legal situations in Thailand involving foreigners and money, the rules tend to bend with the circumstances, and the mood of the relevant official or officials.

Nonetheless, it is being stated quite unequivocally that anyone on overstay exceeding 42 days (six weeks) will be arrested. They will then spend at the very least one or two days behind bars while waiting for the necessary paperwork to be processed. Most will eventually spend some time inspecting the stripy sunlight at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) in Bangkok.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400387-thai-immigration-introduces-jail-time-for-overstayers/

Edited by metisdead
Added link

According to another news source he has been broke for some time. His only income is an B11,000 a month pension.

Rather than ditching him or dobbing him, his ex "Honey" has been feeding him.

Pension of THB 11,000 only? Is it really possible to live on such small monthly budget in Phuket?

And this is a news item because ??? what is so special about a person

over staying their visas ? go stand at the immigration channels and

you will see many of them every day...

What is an immigration channel? I make a report every 90 days at an immigration office and see lots of people doing it legally.

• Like 1

<snip>

BTW, none of us know the future, but should it be decided to cull the Foreign herd a bit someday, "Your papers please" may end up in a one way ticket home, a meaningful fine, and if you can not pony up, a rather uncomfortable stay in a tine cell with 30 other guys.

<snip>

What absolute nonsense.

At least he screwed 3 years out of immigration. Now time to face the punishment. Thought there was a Max 20,000 baht fine for this.

A very stupid response. Applauding someone "screwing" the system!

Coming from a moderator makes it even worse.

As for the punishment for overstaying, maybe you should do a little homework on the visa subforum here.

I'm also Happy he screwed them over.. You see it's a game they screw us we screw them.. Unlucky for him that someone tipped them off

Just how is immigration screwing us. I have been here 7 years and not been screwed by them once. Of course I have not tried to cheat them once either. I knew the rules coming in and came any how as I did not find them that hard to follow.

If I had found them that hard to follow I would have gone elsewhere.

i agree...how does immigration screw us? Unless you thing that Thailand is a theme park you get to just wander in and out of. Every person on this site came from somewhere, and i am willing to bet it is a whole lot more red tape, hassle and cash to get to stay for years. Try that in the USA, the UK, or pretty much anywhere else...and good luck on that. Thai law and immigration is a piece of cake, if you simply do it by their book..and at a pretty reasonable cost, considering what one gets for it. Happy to hear you are still here and enjoying the Kingdom after 7 years...wishing you many more!

<snip>

BTW, none of us know the future, but should it be decided to cull the Foreign herd a bit someday, "Your papers please" may end up in a one way ticket home, a meaningful fine, and if you can not pony up, a rather uncomfortable stay in a tine cell with 30 other guys.

<snip>

What absolute nonsense.

I do appreciate your rather pointed reply, since with it comes the suggestion of a parcel of knowledge I do not possess. May I ask why it is absolute nonsense, when it is required by law to be able to furnish a valid Passport and Visa upon request? Were an officer of the law seeking to rid his district of a certain unwanted element, or a nation to have enough of a certain type of BS...how hard would it be to simply ask a whole lot of people to furnish the required documents?

That might be a really good day to have all your paperwork in order...yes?

But, clearly you do know something I do not...like...the future...for example...but go on...you were saying?

It's like all personal secrets, they are only secrets whilst you keep them to yourself.

Once they are out, no matter to whom, you've lost total control and are at the mercy of others.

Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

(Not that I've got anything to hide) .whistling.gif

• Like 1

At least he screwed 3 years out of immigration. Now time to face the punishment. Thought there was a Max 20,000 baht fine for this.

As for the punishment for overstaying, maybe you should do a little homework on the visa subforum here.

Can't you state your opinion without name calling?

I doubt the mod was trying to start a sh.t fest. I'd recommend a loosening up

<snip>

<snip>

What absolute nonsense.

I do appreciate your rather pointed reply, since with it comes the suggestion of a parcel of knowledge I do not possess. May I ask why it is absolute nonsense, when it is required by law to be able to furnish a valid Passport and Visa upon request? Were an officer of the law seeking to rid his district of a certain unwanted element, or a nation to have enough of a certain type of BS...how hard would it be to simply ask a whole lot of people to furnish the required documents?

But, clearly you do know something I do not...like...the future...for example...but go on...you were saying?

I do know something that you don't - my paperwork is in order and has been for over 10 years. You write as if most people reading this do NOT have their paperwork in order. Says more about you than the others.

Writing silly scary stories about what might happen in the future does not gain you any kudos here.

• Like 2

According to another news source he has been broke for some time. His only income is an B11,000 a month pension.

Rather than ditching him or dobbing him, his ex "Honey" has been feeding him.

I have to wonder how a 64 year old Westerner could get by on so little. must be inaccurate information me thinks

Rule #1 when living in Thailand. Don't trust anyone. He's been ratted out by someone who got close enough to find out that he had overstayed... they grassed him up. The Thai Police do not chase over staying expats unless they are tipped off. Still, 20,000's not a bad amount for staying 3 years over your visa but at the end of the day, it's not rocket science when it comes to doing the correct paper work and living a happy life in Thailand. Some people are too lazy.

Edited by CalzoHoudini

<snip>

<snip>

What absolute nonsense.

I do know something that you don't - my paperwork is in order and has been for over 10 years. You write as if most people reading this do NOT have their paperwork in order. Says more about you than the others.

Writing silly scary stories about what might happen in the future does not gain you any kudos here.

Ok, so it is absolute nonsense in your particular case. I did not realize that this thread was somehow required to be filtered through your direct life experience.

To me, this article was a valuable "fair warning" to those who think it is just a free ride, without consequences. Your suggestion that your paperwork is Sterling, and them to question mine, exposes you more as a troll, and less as a contributor, so ...with your permission your Holiness...I will get on with my happy day, for anything is an improvement over arguing about something this petty.

i am a bit surprised at your ten year history, for many, who perceive the Thai culture as "Respect Based"...it appears little of that has rubbed off on you.

If you report to immigration yourself at airport or immigration office its 500 baht a day or maximum 20,000 and usually send you on your way without issue. If you get caught its arrested, jailed, criminal charge, black banned for 3 years and go to court after a few days of detention, get a 3,000 to 5,000 baht fine and then deported at your own cost. If you cant pay for your own ticket you are kept in detention until you can get a ticket. You have to go to your home country by the most direct route possible (if transit needed they sometimes keep you longer, some countries you can't get home on direct flight!!)... and a few days in IDC is no pleasure.

More than a few days in IDC, I suspect - he's completely broke if the news article at post #15 is to be believed. He should be banged up in the Bangkok Hilton for the rest of his pathetic life IMHO.

Prison for life is a bit harsh for the "crime" of being broke don't you think?

• Like 2

If he had a girlfriend and had run out of money, you may wish to guess who dobbed him in, either the girlfriend or her family. Just saying......whistling.gif

oh common, farang backstabbing farang is possible too as are numerous other scenarios. go speculate on the stock market.

• Like 1

Ok, so it is absolute nonsense in your particular case. I did not realize that this thread was somehow required to be filtered through your direct life experience.

To me, this article was a valuable "fair warning" to those who think it is just a free ride, without consequences. Your suggestion that your paperwork is Sterling, and them to question mine, exposes you more as a troll, and less as a contributor, so ...with your permission your Holiness...I will get on with my happy day, for anything is an improvement over arguing about something this petty.

i am a bit surprised at your ten year history, for many, who perceive the Thai culture as "Respect Based"...it appears little of that has rubbed off on you.

From your original post:

<snip>

The idea that a seemingly harmless character like this, ended up this way is an object lesson for those who do the correct paperwork, "Good on you, although it is a complete pain in the arse, you have the right paperwork, and much less to fear."

<snip>

What you wrote implies that those having the "correct paperwork" - as you put it - may one day be asked "Your papers please" and somehow end up with a one way ticket home.

That is what you wrote.

That is absolute nonsense.

Well it happened to many of us who lived in India at the time Mrs Ghandi was asassinated. All people who had a right to live in India due to British descent were suddenly presented with a paper giving them a temporary visa and requiring them to return to their own country and get a new visa. With a lot of difficulty I got a year to leave but many had to leave in 3 months. I had settled for life there then and had many physical and emotional ties. Ever since I live day by day.

Edited by harrry

I'm also Happy he screwed them over.. You see it's a game they screw us we screw them.. Unlucky for him that someone tipped them off

Just how is immigration screwing us. I have been here 7 years and not been screwed by them once. Of course I have not tried to cheat them once either. I knew the rules coming in and came any how as I did not find them that hard to follow.

If I had found them that hard to follow I would have gone elsewhere.

i agree...how does immigration screw us? Unless you thing that Thailand is a theme park you get to just wander in and out of. Every person on this site came from somewhere, and i am willing to bet it is a whole lot more red tape, hassle and cash to get to stay for years. Try that in the USA, the UK, or pretty much anywhere else...and good luck on that. Thai law and immigration is a piece of cake, if you simply do it by their book..and at a pretty reasonable cost, considering what one gets for it. Happy to hear you are still here and enjoying the Kingdom after 7 years...wishing you many more!

Thank you

• Like 1

I don't get it. facepalm.gif It is so frigging cheap and easy to stay here legally. If you can't show the cash for a more permanent visa just make a tourist visa run every now and then. Dtaawn rap khap suu, Sabai dee krup! and all that stuff- every time! biggrin.png

• Like 1

"I wonder who reported him to immigration for them to come and find him, and why?"

Thung Thong is a very small village ! Not the sort of place where the police would be hunting overstayers --- unless they were tipped off !

It would also seem that the immigration data base has matured into an effective tool !

Tea money.. dosent cost you mutch to leave a tip with bib :)

Interesting how Thailand is getting less and less hospitable for long stay visitors (no I am not saying 3 years overstay is OK) but more and more long stay restrictions and hoops to jump through. Philippines is making it easy and just is introducing a 6 month long stay visa for tourists. Philippines also has several programs leading to permanent resident status so no visa runs, and in some cases NO yearly reporting to immigration. They seem to see the advantage of attracting retirement and long stay individuals. Also easy to buy condos in Philippines. Thailand on the other hand with the new comments about mandiatory medical insurance for visitors seems to NOT want people to come, stay and spend money.

• Like 1