Some evidence suggests green coffee for weight loss works

Jingthing

OK, I am getting more interested in the green coffee thing as I find this study, though small, to be credible:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120328/green-coffee-beans-may-aid-weight-loss

March 28, 2012 -- Ground green coffee beans, taken daily, seem to spur steady weight loss, according to new research.

So how to get this stuff in Thailand?

I'm pretty sure it's not sold in stores in Thailand and I don't even know if it's legal, or will be legal. Thailand has funny rules about such stuff, even though, yes, it's just coffee (though some commercial supplements have other additives).

So after a little research, it turns out it is not that hard to make this stuff yourself.

The green coffee "tea" quite a bit easier than to make capsules though.

I will try soon to find a local source in Pattaya to sell me the green coffee beans. I reckon that is probably possible if you can find a place that roasts their own beans. They've got to have green beans to roast after all, and they would probably be happy to sell the green beans for the same price as roasted, more profit for them.

Here is a good source for how to make the coffee extract liquid or capsules.

I doubt I would try the capsules as the grinding sounds really hard.

For the liquid extract interestingly you DO NOT grind the beans, instead you boil whole beans.

I have read another place the beans MUST be Arabica and not to use Robusta.

http://www.greencoffeestore.com/extract.html

Green coffee extract by the cup. You can take the whole green beans and boil and steep them, and essentially make a strong tea with it. Click here for a green coffee "tea" recipe. Downside? It tastes pretty awful. A bit of honey helps, and following it up with something that puts a different taste in your mouth. I'd recommend ice cream, but this is about weight loss. Maybe sugar-free gum?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7769052_make-green-coffee-extract.html

BTW, yes the garcinia cambogia is still working for me, but there might be a slowdown now from losing 3.5 pounds a month to losing one kilo (2.2 pounds) per month so I'm looking for another way to keep losing at least 3.5 pounds per month.

The garcina is more like an appetite suppressant while green coffee promoters suggest that is more like a fat burner.

Edited by Jingthing

OK,

for my first batch of extract I did this:

4 Thai automatic rice cooker small plastic cups of bottled water

8 tablespoons green coffee beans

Bring to boil

Lower heat

Simmer 15 minutes

Strain off beans

Cool one hour

I will store the gunk in the frig.

Dose two tablespoons 2 or 3 times a day, I think before meals

It smells strong and nasty. Haven't tasted yet.

As far as the portions, I did some guestimates based on the websites.

Hopefully I'll be able to test this out for at least a month and see if there is any difference in results.

Edited by Jingthing

Well it's only my first day, but this idea is not for everyone.

The extract is truly disgusting (it smells awful, it's tastes awful, and it doesn't feel great either) and I can feel that I've taken it, all day.

Not fully sure whether it is therapeutic or some kind of poison but there are noticeable effects in the toileting department. (TMI?)

At this point I'm not confident I can tolerate this stuff for even a month, but maybe I'll adjust to it.

Assuming I can tolerate it, I have a hunch there is something to the claims about it, but of course the proof is in the ...

For those with access to the commercial pills, I reckon there would a different experience than actually directly swallowing this vile stuff!

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update here.

Turns out I couldn't tolerate the stuff on empty stomach so I've been taking it with food instead.

I found another "recipe" source which gave me the idea of doubling the amount of beans per same water amount.

It also said SOAK the beans for 24 hours before the cook, and to SIMMER it for about 10 minutes longer.

Also to stir the beans during the soak and the simmer to mix it all up.

The process means you LOSE a large percentage of the original water to evaporation and the beans absorbing it.

I did this and WOW this new version extract seems massively more intense.

Honestly, I have NO IDEA of what the actual dose is of the active ingredients I seek with the home made brews I am making.

So I am really just experimenting.

Comparing that to buying a commercial supplement from a reputable company where they have standard amounts of active ingredient.

ANYWAY, here's the perhaps more interesting news.

Is it working?

The answer is -- maybe

A few weeks into it and I think I am probably on course for a loss of SIX POUNDS this month.

Or at least FIVE.

For months now on the garcinia alone, I've been losing 3.5 pounds per month and last month slowed done to 2.2 pounds, 1 kilo.

Anyway, I wasn't happy about any slowdown so decided to add some stuff, the green coffee.

Here is the rub.

I have ALSO added black pepper pills (or fresh black pepper when I eat it in food) which was suggested to me as a great complement to garcinia. Basically you take the garcinia before eating, 30 minutes, and the black pepper right after eating.

So IF it is really true that I've now got a regime that loses me SIX pounds per month (a dramatic increase) scientifically I don't know how much is the addition of green coffee, how much the black pepper, or perhaps there's a weird synergy between all three, garcinia, green coffee, and pepper.

So whatever I am doing, it is FAR from any scientific proof of anything.

I would be quite pleased though if I've found a way to lose even FIVE pounds a month or even back to the old 3.5 wouldn't be bad.

I should add this satisfying pace of weight loss is done using very moderate exercise (gym rats here would probably call it almost no exercise) and a delicious healthy diet. Yes I avoid unhealthy foods but generally don't feel like I want to eat them anyway, as for me garcinia is like a miracle in cutting CRAVING. There has been NO feeling of deprivation, hunger, or suffering involved. Actually, I have kind of the opposite problem. Sometimes I feel frustrated that I am not HUNGRY enough.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

You might loose a stone by just legging up all the ingredients and utensils into your condo.

I take your point.

It really is kind of getting out of hand.

I probably should have "tested" the coffee before introducing the pepper, but I was feeling impatient.

The good news is that none of this stuff is expensive in Thailand.

For those buying green coffee supplements in the west and also garcinia, that would be expensive.

I actually find making the green coffee extract kind of fun. It certainly isn't hard.

You might loose a stone by just legging up all the ingredients and utensils into your condo.

I take your point.

It really is kind of getting out of hand.

I probably should have "tested" the coffee before introducing the pepper, but I was feeling impatient.

The good news is that none of this stuff is expensive in Thailand.

For those buying green coffee supplements in the west and also garcinia, that would be expensive.

I actually find making the green coffee extract kind of fun. It certainly isn't hard.

I see a niche business venture coming up.

Once you're finished with making all the stuff, you need to carry the gallons down to Pattaya Sunrise Boulevard. You'll be making a fortune with selling the brew to the early morning joggers. You'll probably be as thin as a stick by then!

• Like 1

I think I mispoke about the recipe.

I used the same amount of tablespoons as before but the first batch I was measuring by literal spoons.

Then I bought an official measuring tool and found that an actual tablespoon was DOUBLE what I had been using.

So I didn't really double the beans. Just put in the correct actual amount of tablespoons.

Anyway, the combo of double the beans, the soaking, and the extra simmer resulted in something almost atomic.

I've stepped up my game by buying a small strainer and plastic covered cup to store the extract in the fridge along with the shot glass that shows tablespoons, teaspoons, ounces etc.

I am also playing with the amount of the dose to take. Before taking 2 tablespoons wasn't really 2 tablespoons, same issue.

Edited by Jingthing

• 4 weeks later...
OK, still doing the green coffee extract, homemade.
If trying this, just ignore the noise about measure problems and get your own ACCURATE measuring tools.
I agree with this sober assessment about green coffee beans. Not a magic pill. (Never thought it would be.) But potentially HELPFUL if you're doing other things right:
Could green coffee extract or chlorogenic acid really could be a new weapon in the fight against obesity? It’s too soon to say for sure but I suspect that it’s going to turn out to be like so many other weight loss miracles that we’ve seen before. If you’re diligent about your weight loss regimen, green coffee might offer an incremental boost. In other words, the biggest reward will probably go to the people who are already succeeding…it’ll just help them succeed a little faster.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/ask-diva-can-green-coffee-help-you-lose-weight?page=all

The ads saying, take this pill or ANY pill, and eat anything you like in any quantity, and never move your arse, are just being silly. One would hope consumers would be wiser, but so many aren't.

These kinds of things are potentially just HELPERS for some people.

In my case, Garcinia Cambogia has been as especially effective HELPER, but still just a helper ... no magic.

I like helpers!

Edited by Jingthing

Instead of experimenting my self i bought this instead, paid and imported it to here

http://www.appliednutritionalresearch.com/

Now i hope it works !

That's nice but that product appears to be an entirely different substance: raspberry ketones.

Be clear there is nothing on the market now that allows you to eat anything and everything, in any size portions, and still lose weight.

(And there is a good chance there will NEVER be.)

• 3 months later...

What do you mean buy an advert? It's a forum for people needing or looking for something to help them loose weight.

I have some green coffee bean extract in stock from an order from the states a couple of weeks ago. I'm not spamming my website if that's what your getting at.

People what a fat loss supplement maybe I can help.

In my opinion, people make a mistake by hoping this 1 magic supplement (whichever one) will make the fat just disappear.

There are so many factors involved with our bodies conditions. Genetics, diet, exercise and lifestyle being the main 4. Everybody reacts differently to consumed nutrition whether its food, liquids, weight gain/fat loss supplements etc.

Genetics we cannot change.

Diet is the main thing we can change to effect out bodies.

Exercise is a close 2nd behind diet.

Lifestyle is also important. Do we relax enough, get enough rest and sleep. Are we happy, etc

Personally my fight was always to gain weight as I have a very fast metabolic rate. The things I would have to do and eat to gain an extra kilo would make others think i was crazy.

If you are one of the (very lucky) few that finds weight increase and decrease easy then you are the envy of many. But when a supplement is implemented properly for increasing or reducing of weight, it can be enough to make changes in the body the individual is trying to achieve.

Not everyone needs them and not everybody reacts to them.

In my opinion, people make a mistake by hoping this 1 magic supplement (whichever one) will make the fat just disappear.

There are so many factors involved with our bodies conditions. Genetics, diet, exercise and lifestyle being the main 4. Everybody reacts differently to consumed nutrition whether its food, liquids, weight gain/fat loss supplements etc.

Genetics we cannot change.

Diet is the main thing we can change to effect out bodies.

Exercise is a close 2nd behind diet.

Lifestyle is also important. Do we relax enough, get enough rest and sleep. Are we happy, etc

Personally my fight was always to gain weight as I have a very fast metabolic rate. The things I would have to do and eat to gain an extra kilo would make others think i was crazy.

If you are one of the (very lucky) few that finds weight increase and decrease easy then you are the envy of many. But when a supplement is implemented properly for increasing or reducing of weight, it can be enough to make changes in the body the individual is trying to achieve.

Not everyone needs them and not everybody reacts to them.

I think the whole idea of one (legal) supplement working is just crazy. I tried loads, the illegal more dangerous ones are the ones that work (but not advisable)

Even stuff like clenbuterol / ephedrine / t3 have no more as 5% extra burn.. This is illegal dangerous stuff (ephedrine the least dangerous). So what chances have legal supplements.

Of legal muscle builders / strength gainers only creatine seems to do it for me plus of course protein. The whole supplement industry is in my opinion selling dreams and things that they often can't deliver. People who have been around know what works and its is a fraction of what is for sale.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

it is easy to lose a stone. cut a hole in one of your pockets. put a stone in it. wait till stone is lost.

if you want to lose more, put more stones in same pocket (the one with the hole!).

caveat: putting stones in pockets which do not have any holes will not work.

• Like 1

it is easy to lose a stone. cut a hole in one of your pockets. put a stone in it. wait till stone is lost.

if you want to lose more, put more stones in same pocket (the one with the hole!).

Reminds me to get some of the latest must-have pocket stones. What a fitting gift for the season! laugh.png Hope they sell them in metric quantities. whistling.gif

post-155923-0-76925200-1387283389_thumb.

Reminds me to get some of the latest must-have pocket stones. What a fitting gift for the season! laugh.png Hope they sell them in metric quantities. whistling.gif

i heard of losing and gaining "stones" for the first time in Saudi Arabia. when i asked "how much is a stone in kg or lbs?" none of the four or five Brits present could answer my question. but one of them asked "you don't have stones in Germany?" i answered "off kourse vee haff shtones in Tchermanny. butt vee neizer gain zem nor do vee lose zem."

i heard of losing and gaining "stones" for the first time in Saudi Arabia. when i asked "how much is a stone in kg or lbs?" none of the four or five Brits present could answer my question. but one of them asked "you don't have stones in Germany?" i answered "off kourse vee haff shtones in Tchermanny. butt vee neizer gain zem nor do vee lose zem."

cheesy.gif

Yea its a crazy system even worse as the lbs everyone should go metric but their brains probably wont be able to process it.

And if you really said it like that and i was there id probably drop dead laughing.

Naam you're such a modern man! clap2.gif

Actually it's not too difficult. Since 1811 regulations for weights in the Kingdom of Bavaria define one Stein is equals to 20 Pfund, which is 11.2 kg, which is a fifth of a Centner. Similarly regulations for the Kingdom Prussia (1816) define one Stein is equal to 22 Pfund, which is 10.28964 kg.

I have also noted Noback and Noback's comment in their 1851 edition on page 176 that business deals nowadays ought to refrain from using the Stein and Schiffpfund units in public.

Noback, Christian and Noback, Friedrich Eduard (1851). Vollständiges Taschenbuch der Münz-, Maass- und Gewichts-Verhältnisse [etc.] aller Länder und Handelsplätze [Comprehensive pocketbook of money, weights and measures for all countries and trading centres] Leipzig: F. А. Вrockhaus.

Edited by Morakot

Jingthing - you first posted about these green coffee beans many months ago, and you stated that you were losing weight at quite a fair rate.

Can I assume that now, after all these months, you have faded away to nothing???

What's the latest update re overall weight loss etc?

Simon

• 3 weeks later...