Fino fixed for a lot less Baht. It pays to shop around.

pattayadingo

I wanted the light switch assembly and the start switch assembly (on the handlebars) renewed. The paint had corroded and started bubbling, for some reason. Also two new brake levers because one had paint peeling.

First shop on Pattaya Thai quoted 1,000 Baht for the light switch unit, 700 Baht for the start switch unit and 200 Baht each for the brake levers.

Nipped along 3rd road, 2nd shop I visited on 3rd Road had the units and quoted 500, 500, and 130 each for the brake levers.

840 Baht saved (nearly £18) for about 5 kms and 10 minutes drive smile.png

The shop on 3rd Road, (near British Insurance?) a small place with two staff, were quick and courteous and I had no problems at all. And because he was reasonable, I got the engine and gearbox oil changed there at the same time.

The shop on Pattaya Thai was not a main dealer but an accessory / repair shop. They too will not have me back as a customer, whereas the other shop will. laugh.png

No wonder I shop around wink.png

Very difficult to compare prices unless you're really in the know on how the proper parts should look like.

I've had issues with cheap spare parts, no problem, they were advertised a such, so you just make a decision whether you think it's worth the savings.

I've also been stung by knock-offs (i.e. cheap Chinese stuff but in proper original looking blister packs and labeled as the originals would), charged at normal prices for them and managed to wreck a motorbike engine in no time, At a big chain of dealers as well, not the usual streetside shack.

Very difficult to compare prices unless you're really in the know on how the proper parts should look like.

I've had issues with cheap spare parts, no problem, they were advertised a such, so you just make a decision whether you think it's worth the savings.

I've also been stung by knock-offs (i.e. cheap Chinese stuff but in proper original looking blister packs and labeled as the originals would), charged at normal prices for them and managed to wreck a motorbike engine in no time, At a big chain of dealers as well, not the usual streetside shack.

I agree on the copies / knock off parts.

At least these came in Yamaha boxes - not that that is a given that they are Yamaha parts, as you say. But on inspection, they do look genuine and of good quality.

Your experience is a good reminder of what can and does happen, sadly.

The cheaper place obviously made a profit, so that would make the original place I visited somewhat of a rip-off.

For a small 2 man repair shop, they were certainly popular with plenty of customers - all Thai except me - over the 2 hours I waited and watched them work.

Quick and efficient and no queue jumpers getting their work done as I waited.

Time will tell to see how well the parts last.