Varee hair police 2

Bung

I couldn't find the original thread on this......

Anyway, my son comes home from school yesterday and one of the teachers has taken it upon themselves to cut his hair, two big swipes on the sides with shears. I was pretty mad and it didn't consider it too long but I realise they have a strict hair policy and it turned out he was told to cut his hair but didn't pass it on to us.

Yesterday we didn't have time to take him to get his hair cut so today she has another go at it, this time at the back! So much that when we did get him to a barber he couldn't make it right.

I'm going to talk to them tomorrow, I don't see any circumstance where they think it ok to physically do that to a student. A note or even a phone call would have been the simple and respectful thing to do.

Then there is the kid with the Chinese style pig tail down his back is ok? I guess they know which kids they have to be careful dragging into a room and attacked with shears.

My son wasn't the only one. The teacher who did it is female and pregnant, one of the other teachers said enough to her but she carried on so obviously she was out of order.

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the many reasons we left the Varee "factory".

The main one being the kids couldn't even carry their school bags as they were so heavy with homework.

One of the kids teachers was sacked for complaining about it.

Another brick in the wall (Pink Floyd) describes this school in a nutshell...

Edited by DaamNaam

This is Thailand, get used to it. Teachers are god!!! Seen it done quite a few times. Whether you agree or not with it, sorry.

Varee, private school , change school but probably wouldn't make any difference.

Disagree. Not all Thai schools, not at all.

Any school that advertises their pride in having Taksin be from Chiang Mai shows their dictatorship minds.

It's in their brochure.

All show no go this school, if you could call it that.

Sorry, OP, but you knew you (and your son) were taking a risk in "not having time" to get a haircut after such a clear "warning".

I agree that a warning to the parents, in writing, would have been nice, but I suspect you've already been given a written statement of school policy.

It's your money, and you're free to move your son to another school. It's good to give the reader of Thai Visa a "heads up" about their hair policy, but this is what you signed up for when you agreed to send your son to that school.

If the kid had already been told to cut his hair and didn't tell his parents I doubt he would have brought a note home.

• Like 1

Sorry, OP, but you knew you (and your son) were taking a risk in "not having time" to get a haircut after such a clear "warning".

I agree that a warning to the parents, in writing, would have been nice, but I suspect you've already been given a written statement of school policy.

It's your money, and you're free to move your son to another school. It's good to give the reader of Thai Visa a "heads up" about their hair policy, but this is what you signed up for when you agreed to send your son to that school.

If the kid had already been told to cut his hair and didn't tell his parents I doubt he would have brought a note home.

When we signed up at varee there was no such "hair police" warnings. In fact my son wore his hair kind of long (Beatles long) with no problems at all.

Kid was told to do something, he didn't do it, and now he's learnt a lesson. Trying to overrule the school will only teach him that he was right and someone else was wrong.

Well having one's hair cut is hardly down to the kid is it. They should have at least written a note in his homework book (the one the parent has to sign). It is indeed wrong, regardless of school policy, for that woman to get the shears out. Failing notes/calls, what they do is phone up and say kid cannot attend until hair has been cut. You could always get down there and make a minor stink while the class is full in order for a smidgen of face to be lost (don't worry, you won't lose any as farangs don't count). Caveat: it is likely said female will find a way to mark the kid down. Welcome to the 'developing' world.

In my school days, which admittedly was a long time ago, I attended a fairly strict private school where corporal punishment was not unknown. The rules were that hair was short. If you needed a haircut you were told to get one. If that failed you were sent home with a note for your parents informing them of the rule. If that failed you were suspended and did not come back to school until you had a hair cut. On the very few occasions it got that far the parents took notice and the child was suitably trimmed. There was never any attempt to attack the kid with a pair of scissors. Varee might have been wiser to consider suspension as an option.

What a terrible answer. I had to make some serious choices before putting our daughter into this school. The context is unimportant to this thread, but suffice to say there can often be a real lack of decent choices if one wants one's kid to get a decent education. Varee in the end was the least worst option.

Not to mention the trauma for kids getting taken out of one school, removed from their social unit and friends, and chucked around like a football just because the adult world thinks your hair is too long.

This story is sickening, and just shows the contempt that those in power have for those without the power in this world of ours. It is a perpetuation of power structures, and disbars anybody from having the temerity to show individuality. How on earth can you support the chopping off a kid's hair by a teacher??

Adults sure demonstrate to their children what is important in this world: blind obedience to the system, its rules, and woe betide you if you stick out.

• Like 2

I would accept some forms of punishment, perhaps sending the kid home or not allowing him back until he follows the rules. Without knowing the age of the child it's hard to determine if telling him, sending a note home with him or a phone call to the parents was necessary. But either way putting their hands on my kid by cutting his hair or using corporal punishment I would have a very hard time accepting. My two older son's (8 & 9) are in their 3rd different school in three years. But since they are only learning English since living with me for the last three yrs their language skills are not good enough to go to a international school so have been to public, charter (government sponsored with us paying as well) and a private Thai school. Each being a bit better but all with a huge amount of improvements needed especially when it comes to the children's needs, both educational and well being, coming first.

THATS BULLSHIT PURE AND SIMPLE

The correct procedure is to call the parents PERIOD

Its NEVER OK for a teacher to put a hand on any kid for any reason and certainly not start chopping away at their hair.

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 1

I'm not denying he needed a haircut (although his hair was not touching his ears) but find it unacceptable that a teacher physically took chunks out of it to the point that he wasn't able to get a proper cut done.

I should go and tell her to finish the job if she wants to start it.....

Anyway, being pregnant possibly meant she is a bit crazy.

Edited by Bung

Anyway, my son comes home from school yesterday and one of the teachers has taken it upon themselves to cut his hair, two big swipes on the sides with shears. I was pretty mad and it didn't consider it too long but I realise they have a strict hair policy and it turned out he was told to cut his hair but didn't pass it on to us.

Sons mistake

Yesterday we didn't have time to take him to get his hair cut

Didn't have time facepalm.gif this is your son you are talking about ! so what you had to do was more important than your son walking about with a funny haircut as well as also upsetting the school for a second time thumbsup.gif

Conclusion : Obviously the teacher was at fault and should be reprimanded but perhaps if the parents were a bit more vigilant and paid more attention to their child then it wouldn't have come to this.

• Like 1

Firstly, I have to say that the teacher was in the wrong in this case but remember that from her point of view he appeared to be flaunting the rules - "Didn't have time, Miss" doesn't really sound convincing, let's face it. A call to the parents was the order of the day and, given the upset it seems to have caused, I am sure someone at the school will certainly be investigating the exact circumstances.

Their hair policy is not particularly draconian - my son comes home occasionally and says he's been asked to get his hair cut and so he goes and does it. All the Thai schools have stricter views on uniform and conformity than many of us are used to and in my view it comes bundled with maintaining the whole Asian culture of discipline and respect that I for one think is a welcome alternative to the "screw you" attitude towards the rules and authority that prevails in many UK schools.

• Like 1

Hmmm interesting feedback. I had a similar but different (Just like same same huh???) experience when my oldest son was at primary school back in NZ. I was in the Army at the time so the school was predominantly 'Army brats'. There was a dress code and those that could afford it were encouraged to buy a school uniform. However it wasnt compulsory.

After school one day, the oldest son looked a bit upset and I asked what is wrong. He handed me a note that stated he was given detention over lunch for not wearing a regulation school (It was winter). I asked him why and he said that mum told him to wear a normal civilian jersey as his one was still drying after being washed. I asked him if he explained this too the teacher, and yes he had. In fact it was the school principal that gave him the detention.

Being ex Army I understand rules and reasons for having them but this in my mind was blantant bullshit. The next school day I rang the principal and enquired about the detention. He confirmed that is was due to non authorised wearing of a non uniform jersey. I then asked him if school uniform is compulsory or not. When the principal started stuttering I knew I had him.

Long story short, I advised him that if there are any problems with any of my children then it would be in everyones best interests to call me. The Army camp was only 5 minutes away. I also advised him that if he decides to enforce rules that are not compulsory again then I would take the matter to the school board.

Needless to say I never had any problem again, and I later found out that this principal had it in for my son. Never found out why, but apparently he use to try and make an example of him in front of other students. After the few words with the principal, my sons time at school improved as did his grades and his interest in playing sport.

So sometimes it pays to stand up, for the sake of your children and their future. As sure as the pope is a catholic, if any teacher was to cut my childs hair, then the school and certainly the teacher in question would be left in no doubt as to the error of their ways.

I agree TIT, and by and large you have to follow their ways. But when you feel strongly about something, make them know about it, or nothing will ever change. Pregnancy is NO excuse.

Ok thats my sixpence worth. I hope you get some resolution to this experience.

Edited by CMKiwi
  • Like 2

This is Thailand, get used to it. Teachers are god!!! Seen it done quite a few times. Whether you agree or not with it, sorry.

Varee, private school , change school but probably wouldn't make any difference.

Disagree. Not all Thai schools, not at all.

Any school that advertises their pride in having Taksin be from Chiang Mai shows their dictatorship minds.

It's in their brochure.

All show no go this school, if you could call it that.

I think you may be mistaking Varee School for Montford School

I've never seen any reference to Taksin at Varee School but I used to see him regularly mentioned in promotional materials at Montford

But these days even Montford seem to be distancing themselves from this international fugitive ...... for the time being at least...

I have no problem with their hair policy, I actually agree with it but the fact a teacher physically degraded him/ abused/whatever along with some other kids is not on under any circumstances.

I'll say it again. His hair was not long, not even touching his ears.

Imagine if she did that to say, A Thai policeman's /"powerful persons" son? What may have been the outcome? I think she had a good idea which kids she could get away with doing that to.

Anyway, this being Thailand we are not pursuing the matter further as it will just cause more problems for him won't it? Problem / loss of face / revenge / poor marks.

Just a reminder to parents with kids in Varee that even though their hair is not long and still neat you need to take them to the army barber monthly.

• Like 1

physically degraded him/ abused/whatever

He wasn't physically degraded or abused. His hair was cut. He may have had his feelings hurt a bit, but that balances out his disregard for the rules. No harm done.

That teacher sounds like a bully. In no way is that acceptable. I would be interested in what else she gets up to. .. nurturing children as a teacher should do. .. doesn't sound like something she is capable of.

Sitting down and discussing the hair with the child, then putting in a polite phonecall should have sufficed.

Had it been my child I too would fear kicking up a stink because the mentality of that teacher is clearly childish and a bad example to kids... and no doubt petty action would be taken by her to regain face...

To the op... I think you're doing the right thing. Highlight a true experience your child has had at that school. And I bet some prospective future pupils parents will read it and ensure they enroll their kids elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Any sort of physical remedy taken by a teacher is, IMHO, out of bounds. An appropriate sanction might have been some classroom task or special assignment, but never shearing the child. Further non-compliance would rate being sent up to the school disciplinary officer and/or a letter home.

Haircut rules and uniform regulations really bug students. Such limits to self-expression, you know! wink.png Short of head lice, I'd say hair styles are essentially a private matter. I do believe that uniforms do serve a positive purpose. Although a uniform may be an extra expense (Some schools provide them.), it helps level the social playing field. Some children from poorer families might not be able to keep up with fashions worn by more fortunate peers, so uniforms lessen the potential embarrassment of the poorer children. Also, I have found that this simplifies the daily task of getting ready for school. Otherwise, rules based on good judgment about being neat, clean and modest are reasonable. giggle.gif

Both hassling and enforcing school dress codes and haircut rules is a waste of time.