Has the Olde Bell reopened or is there a new one?

elektrified

I am out of this conversation .I may as well be taking to my plants in the garden .

You'd get more intelligence from your plants than from most of the regulars on this forum. If you are not part of their clique all they want to do is destroy you.

Expect to be bashed now but hey I'm not part of their sad clique.

Edited by Throatwobbler

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am out of this conversation .I may as well be taking to my plants in the garden .

It is what this forum has become -go elsewhere and eventually the mods will have to respond based on dwindling numbers

Yes unfortunately it is. A few sad people who have nothing to do with their lives but post <deleted> about anybody who is not in their gang.

If I get to be like them please take me out and shoot me.

i must admit, I'm delighted if Tony is getting some good publicity out of my sign! I hope it'll prove to be the best thousand baht he ever spent! I'm still trying to make some sense of my life post Olde Bell, so haven't been to many new places yet. I've tried Archers, UNIrish, Number One Bar and The Dog and Bone and enjoyed them all. Hope to try many more (including Andrew's Bar) in the near future. I've heard good reports about a place called 9moo9 which is on the canal rd just south of the Samoeng junction. Anyone been there?

BTW if any of you hadn't picked up on one of the worst kept secrets in Chiang Mai: Millwall_fan, who's been a member of Thai Visa forum for 10 years, is Olde Bell Pedr/Pedr FromThe Olde Bell.

• Like 1

i must admit, I'm delighted if Tony is getting some good publicity out of my sign! I hope it'll prove to be the best thousand baht he ever spent! I'm still trying to make some sense of my life post Olde Bell, so haven't been to many new places yet. I've tried Archers, UNIrish, Number One Bar and The Dog and Bone and enjoyed them all. Hope to try many more (including Andrew's Bar) in the near future. I've heard good reports about a place called 9moo9 which is on the canal rd just south of the Samoeng junction. Anyone been there?

BTW if any of you hadn't picked up on one of the worst kept secrets in Chiang Mai: Millwall_fan, who's been a member of Thai Visa forum for 10 years, is Olde Bell Pedr/Pedr FromThe Olde Bell.E

Everyone knew that. After all only one person in Chiangmai would admit to being a Millwall fan.

• Like 2

I've heard good reports about a place called 9moo9 which is on the canal rd just south of the Samoeng junction. Anyone been there?

I'm getting in the car now.

Looks like it's more of a cafe-lunch place than a pub though. It opens 10am to 5pm, and then only Thursday to Sunday.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

BTW if any of you hadn't picked up on one of the worst kept secrets in Chiang Mai: Millwall_fan, who's been a member of Thai Visa forum for 10 years, is Olde Bell Pedr/Pedr FromThe Olde Bell.

Did you ever find yourself talking to yourself?

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

So the food is rotten, the owner is a surly sod who routinely insults customers both to their faces and behind their backs the moment they walk out the door - and it inspires a conversation for days on end? AND some of you think 'Ooh, a nice British place with a flag outside and roast beef on the menu - really must try that out!'

Unbelievable.

I pop into the forum once in a blue moon, and you never fail to convince me you'd all be better off back in England reading the Daily Mail and moaning to yourselves about the weather.

When Gipsy's Grill first opened people on ThaiVisa started popping out of the woodwork to complain about how rude and unreasonable he had been at some other business that he had previously been running. Main difference between that and this case was that even his detractors seemed to like his food. So I eventually went their thinking that I was going to meet the Chiang Mai version of "The Soup Nazi". But much to my disappointment, the owner of the place was a very well mannered gentlemen who addressed men as "sir" and women as "my lady".

I've heard good reports about a place called 9moo9 which is on the canal rd just south of the Samoeng junction. Anyone been there?

I'm getting in the car now.

Looks like it's more of a cafe-lunch place than a pub though. It opens 10am to 5pm, and then only Thursday to Sunday.

We went there, must be nearly a year ago now.It is quite nice and has a gallery and limited accom. Food,small menu, was very good. Its definately not a pub and owners seem to want to keep it low key.They have a web site from memory.On the right as you head south just past one of the more up market gated villages.

So the food is rotten, the owner is a surly sod who routinely insults customers both to their faces and behind their backs the moment they walk out the door - and it inspires a conversation for days on end? AND some of you think 'Ooh, a nice British place with a flag outside and roast beef on the menu - really must try that out!' Unbelievable. I pop into the forum once in a blue moon, and you never fail to convince me you'd all be better off back in England reading the Daily Mail and moaning to yourselves about the weather.

When Gipsy's Grill first opened people on ThaiVisa started popping out of the woodwork to complain about how rude and unreasonable he had been at some other business that he had previously been running. Main difference between that and this case was that even his detractors seemed to like his food. So I eventually went their thinking that I was going to meet the Chiang Mai version of "The Soup Nazi". But much to my disappointment, the owner of the place was a very well mannered gentlemen who addressed men as "sir" and women as "my lady".

What happened to Gypsy, I haven't seen or heard of him in ages. He opened a small grill on Ratchadomneon rd a year or more ago, but I don't know if it is still there. I don't recall noticing it lately.

So the food is rotten, the owner is a surly sod who routinely insults customers both to their faces and behind their backs the moment they walk out the door - and it inspires a conversation for days on end? AND some of you think 'Ooh, a nice British place with a flag outside and roast beef on the menu - really must try that out!' Unbelievable. I pop into the forum once in a blue moon, and you never fail to convince me you'd all be better off back in England reading the Daily Mail and moaning to yourselves about the weather.

What happened to Gypsy, I haven't seen or heard of him in ages. He opened a small grill on Ratchadomneon rd a year or more ago, but I don't know if it is still there. I don't recall noticing it lately.

After a few months of running Gipsy's Grill he had a stroke which forced him to shut down the restaurant. I don't know how he is doing presently or if he is still in Chaing Mai.

Went out last night to Yummy Pizza. Which proved to be easily the best night out since we closed. A cloudburst prevented the Wednesday night jammers from coming along so Tony sang most of the songs himself (apart from a couple of very nice Portuguese songs that another chap sang). Good food, good atmosphere, several familiar faces.

We tried to go to the Dog and Bone earlier but it was closed. I assume because of staff shortages.

• Like 1

One more candidate for an out of town venue: Sausage King Garden!

That's a long way away for you (and for me), but it's excellent, laid back, very good British food at great prices, and also a good place to hang with friends with some beers..

It's in the Meechoke area.

• Like 1

One more candidate for an out of town venue: Sausage King Garden!

That's a long way away for you (and for me), but it's excellent, laid back, very good British food at great prices, and also a good place to hang with friends with some beers..

It's in the Meechoke area.

Another vote for Sausage King here - plus the take home sausages and pies are good too

• 2 months later...

Havn't been down that way for a while. Has the old olde bell been leased yet. No updates?

I knew a guy from Hampshire who said 'old' a lot. He once mentioned that he had been travelling through the old....... New forest! I imagine he would be talking about the old...... old Olde Bell, if he were here. Anyhow, the old Olde Bell certainly has the builders in, judging by the bags of rubble outside and I was told by a reliable sauce (pun intended) that it will be a guest house or, better still, a boutique hotel. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Havn't been down that way for a while. Has the old olde bell been leased yet. No updates?

I knew a guy from Hampshire who said 'old' a lot. He once mentioned that he had been travelling through the old....... New forest! I imagine he would be talking about the old...... old Olde Bell, if he were here. Anyhow, the old Olde Bell certainly has the builders in, judging by the bags of rubble outside and I was told by a reliable sauce (pun intended) that it will be a guest house or, better still, a boutique hotel.

Intersting (not the part about the guy you once new who said "old" a lot...) but the info about the pub. Cheers

I knew a guy from Hampshire who said 'old' a lot. He once mentioned that he had been travelling through the old....... New forest! I imagine he would be talking about the old...... old Olde Bell, if he were here. Anyhow, the old Olde Bell certainly has the builders in, judging by the bags of rubble outside and I was told by a reliable sauce (pun intended) that it will be a guest house or, better still, a boutique hotel.

I met an older guy with his Thai wife who said he was leasing the place. Sounded like he will turn it into a bar.

Good news.

Also because some people persist in claiming that bars are on the decline, and no new ones are allowed to open there.. :rolleyes:

I met an older guy with his Thai wife who said he was leasing the place. Sounded like he will turn it into a bar.

Good news.

Also because some people persist in claiming that bars are on the decline, and no new ones are allowed to open there.. rolleyes.gif

The bars are really struggling on LKR .The new wave of Chinese dont go to bars .

Edited by anto

I heard different whispers...the old guy was a retiring offshore worker who bought the building outright to make a restaurant...

not seen any work going on there for a few weeks...I walk past almost daily.

Good luck to him anyway, it's a big investment.

Plenty of new bars still opening in Loi Kroh. Government must be allowing them to re-license again...a change of heart??

Edited by piewarmer

Good news.

Also because some people persist in claiming that bars are on the decline, and no new ones are allowed to open there.. rolleyes.gif

The bars are really struggling on LKR .The new wave of Chinese dont go to bars .

That has been my impression too. There are soooo many Chinese tourists in comparison to other tourists. But you seldom see them outside late at night.

Good news.

Some do. ;)

post-64232-0-16436000-1381860422_thumb.j

Better yet, some of the girls travelling alone or with a friend do too.

That has been my impression too. There are soooo many Chinese tourists in comparison to other tourists. But you seldom see them outside late at night.

When was Loi Kroh ever busy? Even without the Asians now here in bigger numbers the demographics of tourists to Chieng Mai was always moving away from single guys to couples and families. With the exception of 1 or 2 bars I doubt if anyone ever made any money out of a bar on Loi Kroh, except beyond the night bazaar ( that's still Loi Kroh).

It was not like couples and families replaced single men. They came here in addition to the single men who have traditionally been Thailand's most reliable tourists. Loi Kroh road was quite busy before the financial decline of the West in recent years.