Dairy Farms in LOS?

I can’t say that any of the brands I’ve tried are all that tasty, but that does make what someone told me, that all Thai milk is imported as a powder, seem plausible, and makes me wonder the source of the “water” used for reconstitution!

On the other hand, Foremost Heavy Cream has been an excellent experience. I’ve even shook a half-filled carton, after it’s been frozen, and ended up with whipped consistency.

So where does Thai milk come from? I’ve been everywhere in Thailand, driven the back roads extensively, and have yet to catch wind of a dairy farm.

Anybody seen one? Been on one?

• Like 1

I am surprised that Thailand has not become a big producer of cheese. Real mozzarella cheese from Italy is made from water buffalo milk. Why someone has not set up a cheese processing plant is beyond me.

• Like 2

Lots of dairy farms in Saraburi area, A. Wang Muang being just one of them. And one of the oldest is the Thai-Danish facility in A. Muak Lek, right on Hwy 2.

Do a Google for: thai danish dairy muak lek

Several hits, including some threads on ThaiVisa.

Mac

a frequent visitor to Wang Muang

Pak Chong district of Nakhong Rachasima province has lots of dairy cattle. I see a milk tanker in Chiang Rai every so often - so I presume there are several farmers cooperatives that produce milk. Sure would like to get some fresh milk so I can make some cottage cheese!!!

• Like 1

Spotted next to the Tiger Kingdom at Mae Rim, Chiang Mai.......

1011173_555459034492423_623903517_n.jpg

Looks like it's needing a good feed sad.png

I call those pathetic looking Thai cows "Soi Cows". The milk they produce lacks a normal amount of fat which is why you get that weird "off" taste in Thai milk.

• Like 1

I am surprised that Thailand has not become a big producer of cheese. Real mozzarella cheese from Italy is made from water buffalo milk. Why someone has not set up a cheese processing plant is beyond me.

I've been playing around with making cheese, just for fun. The main beneficiaries were me and my friends. Got a lot of offers to start making it professionally, especially from people around Korat who had farms over there. Preferred to keep it as a hobby though. Got some pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericvercauteren

BTW, I got my fresh milk by the kilo from a Coop in Ban Bueng, about 60 Km from Pattaya. The local farmers bring their milk over there, where it is tested for antibiotics, etc. Guaranteed safe and good quality... and excellent cheese (even I say so myself).

• Like 2

There are several.....this one being the largest:

Minor Cheese Limited (MCL) produces a wide range of cheeses and cheese blends including mozzarella, cheddar, string cheese, parmesan, mascarpone, cream cheese and sour cream. With a maximum capacity of approximately 1,900 tons of cheese per annum and annual sales of over THB400mn, MCL is not only a key supplier to various restaurant operations of its parent, MFG, but also a major supplier to companies in the Thai and regional food service sector. Currently, MCL’s manufacturing facility in Nakornratchasima province has 61 employees (29 of which are full time and the remainder are part-time and outsourced).

Edited by juggernaut

^^ Absolutely not a healthy specimen. In the UK you would be questioned for having an animal in that condition on your farm.

I'd be worming that poor cow. Yes, I've had dairy cows, and they looked a lot healthier than this one.

Bear in mind though, that this breed (Frisian in most countries, but I believe the Americans call them Holsteins) comes from northern Europe, and I can't see that they'd thrive in the tropics.

I would imagine that most milk made into UHT is reconstituted from powder, but I'm only guessing. I've tried to buy full cream powdered milk here, but cannot find it.

Down south there's Phatthalung Dairy, I used to pass it quite often. There's a herd of Fresian cows on the road to Thale Noi as well.

Also there's plenty of buffaloes in that area but too.

• Like 1

I call those pathetic looking Thai cows "Soi Cows". The milk they produce lacks a normal amount of fat which is why you get that weird "off" taste in Thai milk.

Is it just me, but from the looks of it, it only produces sperm. Hench maybe the "off" taste... tongue.png

at last, an observant man ! Somehow, doubt is this poor specimen will be up to the job of fulfilling his role in life.

Edited by attento
  • Like 1

We often have cows come to visit and munch the grass on the other side of the creek at the back of our house.

They all look pretty healthy to me but I'm not about to grab a bucket and a milking stool, we have Big C and Makro just down the road.

I think if you look closely at that picture,you will see a tuft of hair on the belly. Pretty hard to get milk there. Its either a steer or a bull. But as you say it is lacking a good feeding.

Edited by market trader

When I lived in north central Thailand, there was a government sponsered dairy that was setup to teach the local Thais about dairy farming.

The lady who ran it had spent 3 years in Denmark learning the trade. I wanted to buy a 5 day old bull calf to raise for beef. She would

have nothing to do with that. If I had said as a pet, no problem. Live and learn. This was was a pure holestien bred to a Thai type bull.