Fried chicken takeaway called 'Hitler' opens in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presume somebody's already mentioned westerners wearing stalin/mao t-shirts etc.

Westerners wearing Stalin t-shirts? Really? I haven't seen that.

I do know Stalin has been politically rehabilitated in modern Russia though.

My mother is Jewish and she lost many cousins and family members during the Holocaust, providing of course you`re not a Holocaust denier and actually believe that millions of innocent people were brutishly murdered for no apparent reason than being labelled as something.

So for me, considering that if the Nazis would have invaded England during WW2, and that my family may have ended up as a pair of leather boots or a bar of soap, I find these Hitler images (however humorous) as intimidating and an insult to all the nationalities, including the Germans, who fought, suffered and died during that shitty war,

So I suppose the ways that people regard these images depends on how severely their elderly relatives or ancestors were affected during those times and what side of the fence you`re on.

My personal belief is; that the atrocities committed by Nazis and their collaborators during the war should never be forgotten and never be forgiven, as long as all this is still in living memory.

There can be nothing humorous about a brutal, crazed, mass murderer, in any shape or form.

the soap bar story is a myth. never happened.

I haven't compared any, you are the one doing that. I doubt the survivors of any of the camps would care for your splitting of hairs.

Someone came up with the jewish soup myth, someone else called Dachau a death camp said its same like Auschwitz.

but there was no soup production out of dead jews and Dachau wasn't a death camp with mass termination.

As i said, if you come with inaccuracies you open the door for holocaust deniers and revisionists who will call you a liar.

Avoid inaccuracies.

That is not splitting hairs. believe, i went little bit longer to school. i am not just self educated with youtube videos.

@antfish

First you call it soap then soup. Make up your mind man!

Presume somebody's already mentioned westerners wearing stalin/mao t-shirts etc.

Yeah, just google them. Not much different to Thais using Hitler's image inappropriately really.

This business with the fried chicken stand, and Nazi paraphernalia in Thailand, IS offensive to many (maybe most) people, and the brutality, the evil and abject inhumanity that was Hitler and his Nazi thugs was such that I believe this taking of offense is justifiable and should be honored. I'm NOT saying govt should step in and close the place down. It should instead be a matter of decent people doing exactly what decent people are doing (and saying) right here. Vocalize and share the outrage - share why you think people should stay away simply out of a sense of decency and encourage others to do the same. But then - it's a matter of each individual's own conscience. I've personally got no use for a person who'd patronize such a place as this, but it takes all kinds, or so they say...

You are wrong!

'Is offensive to some foreigners' may be correct, Thai people don't care.

If foreigners are offended by things they see in Thailand, nobody is making them stay in Thailand.

One of the funny little quirks about Thai people.

If you point out a big disaster in a foreign country where many were killed.

Thai people will say, 'were any dead related to me', if you push a bit more they say, 'did I know any of the dead', their final comment will be, 'were any of the dead Thai'. If the answer to all three questions were 'no', they won't care or show much interest.

Remember that thing up in Chiang Mai back in 2011 - some school kids marching in a parade with Nazi costumes, doing the sig heil salute, carrying swastika flags, all that... (for which, by the way, the school staff "cared enough" to apologize...) I was working with a bunch of Thai technical folks in Phitsanulok at the time. To a man they expressed total disgust over the incident, and were pretty well up on Hitler & Nazi Germany, at least as far as the level of atrocity was concerned. I remember I was telling them that I was under the impression that most Thais didn't know much about Hitler, etc., and they (well, a couple of them...) were kind of insulted. They were quite derisive of their fellow Thais involved in the incident. Now I realize this doesn't mean that ALL Thais know about the Holocaust, but some at least do, and some evidently do care. But that's true in western countries as well! (LOL - can you just imagine an interviewer picking random young people off the street in NYC and asking them what the "Holocaust" was...) As for your petulant little like-it-or-leave-it remark, I'll just stay out of that restaurant, thanks.

• Like 1

Why all this shock about the Thais and Hitler. During World War II,Thailand allied itself with Hitler and declared war on the United States. It was such a bit player, really only bending over for the Japanese, that all was forgiven after the war.

But nonetheless, and alliance is an alliance. And despite their atrocities, the Nazis did have a pretty spiffy uniform.

In any event, political correctness should keep to itself in the west. Many of us that came here were sick of all the PC BS back home. The lack of it here is like a breath of fresh air. Carry on, Hitler Chicken!

• Like 1

There are a lot of things you haven't seen, Jingthing. For example, you've never seen my "schmember." It doesn't mean I don't have one.

By the way, what's up with your little comment about needing to carry Vaseline to handle a bad day? Jesus! I have NEVER had a bad enough day in my entire life to go the Vaseline route. Better to go down fighting than to bend over.

• Like 1

When it took 2 years to finally convince my GF that Australia was next to Indonesia, and not German, I knew there was no point discussing past or present global affairs.

it's the education system. I don't think these people actually admire Hitler but it's possible the school history syllabus didn't cover what he did and the millions he murdered.

At least the chicken is pretty good...

I have never spoken to a Thai who was aware of the atrocities, much less much of WWII history in general. I have been told by Thai people that in high school they spent very little time studying world history, geography, and such. So, the awareness level is very low amongst the masses. Does anyone honestly think they equate the gas chambers with Hitler? Or 6 million deaths? Doubt it. It do not think this is hateful. I just think it is a sign of ignorance, and that ignorance somehow gets converted into a bizarre form of hip.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

it's the education system. I don't think these people actually admire Hitler but it's possible the school history syllabus didn't cover what he did and the millions he murdered.

I have never spoken to a Thai who was aware of the atrocities, much less much of WWII history in general. I have been told by Thai people that in high school they spent very little time studying world history, geography, and such. So, the awareness level is very low amongst the masses. Does anyone honestly think they equate the gas chambers with Hitler? Or 6 million deaths? Doubt it. It do not think this is hateful. I just think it is a sign of ignorance, and that ignorance somehow gets converted into a bizarre form of hip.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Ignorance is NO excuse, full stop

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Not unique to Thailand. My Thai stepson was educated in Australian government schools. Only topic covered was ANZAC Day, just about zero on geography, did cover climate change, together with a "black armband" view of Australian history.. Oh and an essay assignment on Guy Fawkes.

Edited by simple1

Why all this shock about the Thais and Hitler. During World War II,Thailand allied itself with Hitler and declared war on the United States. It was such a bit player, really only bending over for the Japanese, that all was forgiven after the war.

But nonetheless, and alliance is an alliance. And despite their atrocities, the Nazis did have a pretty spiffy uniform.

In any event, political correctness should keep to itself in the west. Many of us that came here were sick of all the PC BS back home. The lack of it here is like a breath of fresh air. Carry on, Hitler Chicken!

You think condemning genocide is PC?

PC is rampant in Thailand and is actively enforced by various laws, just a different emphasis to Western countries.

PC is rampant in Thailand and is actively enforced by various laws, just a different emphasis to Western countries.

So would ticket master back me up if I opened up a restaurant in his country called Pol Pots noodles? We could have a vegetable dish called "greens from the killing fields" sooo tasty they will separate the flesh from your bones!!!

What would ticket master say to the Cambodians who were offended by this? Would he tell them to get stuffed? Or does he just hate jews?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I have spoken to more than a few Thais who know that part of European History.

Do you know that there were more people killed by the Nazis than the 6 million?

Just counting the 6 million is another sign of ignorance.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Ignorance is NO excuse, full stop

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why not?

When it took 2 years to finally convince my GF that Australia was next to Indonesia, and not German, I knew there was no point discussing past or present global affairs.

It too you 2 years to realize there's no point in discussing global affairs?

It too you 2 years to realize there's no point in discussing global affairs?

The first 1 year and 364 days was more of a physical relationship but then it quickly progressed to other things. biggrin.png

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Oh a breath of fresh air, eh? You don't think political correctness exists in Thailand?! It has a legal underpinning that doesn't even exist in the west! Not about all the same things of course, but resident expats & one-time tourists alike ignore it at considerable risk. Tell you what, throw a baht note on the ground & tramp on it in front of an RTP, and let us know how that works out (after you're out again...). You must not get out to the movies much.

Come on, you knew that!

Sorry I haven't followed the thread.. This place is open and real?

Has someone eaten there?

But how is the chicken taste? maybe it is really Hitler Chicken?

Killer good tasting Chicken? It's theoretically possible the place needed to be named so out of bounds to describe the great taste.

Or maybe not different from the gazillion other fried chicken places in Thailand.

Sorry I haven't followed the thread.. This place is open and real?

Has someone eaten there?

But how is the chicken taste? maybe it is really Hitler Chicken?

Killer good tasting Chicken? It's theoretically possible the place needed to be named so out of bounds to describe the great taste.

Or maybe not different from the gazillion other fried chicken places in Thailand.

Hadn't you heard the reviews?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHwxIL9oYo

Edited by Jingthing