Farming Ideas that never grew ...

I love this Farming forum.. Although I can't grow rocks. It's still interesting.. A lot of good idea's..

Aside from the lucrative rubber tree ideas. The most attractive idea to me is RBH's catfish operation. I will actually use this as my main focus at farming in Thailand. I won't focus on 1 thing as a starter because I have learned from Thai farmers and Farang's alike I need to diversify.

I feel happy thinking about these projects.

Hope I am not of topic, David48...

wai.gif

I wonder if RBH is still in the catfish biz? I have a friend in Oklahoma who has been raising catfish for over 25 years.. doesn't make a fortune but does quite well.. good luck with all your projects..

Thanks for this ... thumbsup.gif

With your figure '300k Baht per Rai gross' was that for the green picked bean?

I hope not for the processed, ready to sell bean ... but I'm just hoping.

I did a study on vanilla a while back and came up with 300k Baht per Rai gross. All product would have to be exported as there is no real market in Thailand.

There is a company, who's name escapes me for now, (but I will find it) who will come and set up your plantation, organize training, supply plants etc. They will also organize selling your crop.

Vanilla is difficult, with a long learning curve. If done properly, start up costs are considerable. Figure on losing money for the first 3 years. It's not a one man operation and you'll need staff who are dedicated. A big staff turnover would be a huge no no.

Regards.

At 300K gross per rai it is worth a look, so I did. I watched that jungle operation and was not impressed by the guy walking around with a ladder in the bush with his special tool. Then the pollination bit.... 1500 plants per rai, how many flowers? Well I am certainly not interested in that doing total process to anywhere a rai. Then the topper, the care the guy in the video was taking with each and every step. Here in Thailand? No chance with any paid labourer we have ever had. Just get it done as fast as possible and the rest is MaiPenLai.

Is anyone on the forum here doing it at any sort of scale?

At 300K gross per rai it is worth a look, so I did. I watched that jungle operation and was not impressed by the guy walking around with a ladder in the bush with his special tool. Then the pollination bit.... 1500 plants per rai, how many flowers? Well I am certainly not interested in that doing total process to anywhere a rai. Then the topper, the care the guy in the video was taking with each and every step. Here in Thailand? No chance with any paid labourer we have ever had. Just get it done as fast as possible and the rest is MaiPenLai.

Is anyone on the forum here doing it at any sort of scale?

IA ... have a look at this. http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2012/s3596115.htm

It's the ABC's LandLine Program which I'm sure you are familiar with.

I linked it on the other page, but it's easy to miss the link.

The LandLine Program has an embedded Video which is quite informative and addresses a few of the issues you raise.

Doing a maximum of a rai ,or even less, and keeping it a family affair may be doable but getting too big and /or greedy would multiply the headaches. There is also factors of location , water supply, rainfall and security . Vanilla orchids need to be well drained and pollinated by hand and climbing a step ladder all day would take dedication.

The thing about vanilla is it doesn't mind which way it grows. When it gets to 2 metres just train it to grow down, when it reaches the bottom turn it back up. Lots of commercial operations grow it under shade cloth on 2 metre posts. Much more managable, but of course more expensive to install.

Personally i might start with 20 or so posts just to get a feel for it. No point in looking for a crop because curing is a whole new ball game. But I thought i could grow on cuttings and sell them. I've got a few plants at home and everyone shows an immediate interest in them and asks for cuttings. Free of course. laugh.png
Regards.

• Like 2

Growing pepper is a similar set-up grown on poles and trellis. Maybe not quite the return as vanilla but i understand the farmers around Chanathburi are quite well rewarded.

• Like 1

Growing pepper is a similar set-up grown on poles and trellis. Maybe not quite the return as vanilla but i understand the farmers around Chanathburi are quite well rewarded.

Just bridging the language divide.

'pepper' ... as in Salt and Pepper

or 'pepper' and what others call capsicum?

Thanks xen ... your contributions have been great ... thumbsup.gif

I wonder if RBH is still in the catfish biz? I have a friend in Oklahoma who has been raising catfish for over 25 years.. doesn't make a fortune but does quite well.. good luck with all your projects..

Oh yes he is! And blooming! Very inspiring to me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/249638-my-catfish-farm-operation/page-4

Edited by Dancealot

At one time black pepper (Pik Thai Dam) cost more per weight than gold. But that's a different thread....smile.png

Regards.

Suppose nobody made a pepper thread?w00t.gif .....Guys?...coffee1.gif Whenever I get a hold of them in Thailand I will buy them and use them in cooking.

post-70928-0-86557200-1373395908_thumb.j

Edited by Dancealot

I think real Vanilla is probably too expensive for Thais . I have bought a few pods in Oz for 5.00 a pod, that is about 160 thb) They are packaged in small glass tubes - attractive packaging. The last one i bought was a product of Papau New Guinea. I love the smell of real vanilla and it is great in Rice-cream or rice pudding whatever you want to call it.

Soidog2 , just wondering if you have had any produce from the vanilla and if you are able to hand pollinate whilst they are growing up a tree.

To be honest; I was kind of neglecting the vanilla, it flowered a little while ago but I was busy with other things. I will try the procedure on the next set of flowers.

Trying to get the Cacao to naturally pollinate; no luck so far. Buriram vanilla bellow.

Picture%2520859.jpg

Picture%2520123.jpg

Edited by soidog2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I remember a few months back someone enquiring about how far apart to plant sheep,,,,,,, wonder if they found the answer to that and how the project is coming on?? just curious,,,,,

YEAH ,I know that guy.HE gave up on the sheep,Ausses kept picking them early. SOO he heard about the high prices of Cadillacs and decided to plant then .Doing pretty good already has 10 almost grown. smile.png sorry for being sorta off topic smile.pngpost-163052-0-32882100-1375236984_thumb.

Great thread. Anyone heard of someone growing kiwi fruit here in Thailand? Recently read that a nz firm (zespri) have about 80% of the local Thai market. Given distance and different labour costs, wondered if it might be feasible in Thailand. Am no expert on growing kiwifruit - it may be that climate or soil conditions are not suitable.

Great thread. Anyone heard of someone growing kiwi fruit here in Thailand? Recently read that a nz firm (zespri) have about 80% of the local Thai market. Given distance and different labour costs, wondered if it might be feasible in Thailand. Am no expert on growing kiwifruit - it may be that climate or soil conditions are not suitable.

Kiwi fruit should be okay as it is native to Southern China (Not NZ ). It also needs to have both sexes and fruit only comes from the female but needs to be pollinated by the male. I think it may be a ratio of about 5 to 1.. They also need to be replanted every few years to keep yields coming. They are very similar to growing passion fruit .

It is strange the Thais don't like passion fruit - too sour they say so that is a crop that would not be successful commercially.

They are very similar to growing passion fruit .

It is strange the Thais don't like passion fruit - too sour they say so that is a crop that would not be successful commercially.

Passion fruit is grown commercially in the moutains near Petchabun.

Where do they sell the passionfruit because i have never met a Thai who likes passionfruit , which i find strange as it has a delightful exotic taste . Is there a local market for them then or do they export ? I don't think i have ever seen them in the markets or the supermarkets in Thailand and they don't even put it in flavoured yogurt. .

They would grow well in Petchabun .

Where do they sell the passionfruit because i have never met a Thai who likes passionfruit , which i find strange as it has a delightful exotic taste . Is there a local market for them then or do they export ? I don't think i have ever seen them in the markets or the supermarkets in Thailand and they don't even put it in flavoured yogurt. .

They would grow well in Petchabun .

They grow very well in Chiang Mai

• 2 months later...

Cocoa Shortage Seen Expanding as Chocolate Sales Advance

Cocoa demand will exceed supply for a second year in the season that starts Oct. 1 as West African output shrinks and chocolate sales expand to a record.

Production will be 118,000 metric tons smaller than consumption in 2013-14, on top of a shortage of 98,000 tons this year, according to the mean in a Bloomberg survey of nine traders, grinders and analysts.

cocoa-shortage-seen-expanding-as-chocolate-sales-advance

Plus a link to ... cocoa ... an older thread, but contains some good info

Just trying to look to the future and trends.

Dairy farming is one of the hardest jobs there is. The cows have to be milked and fed twice a day. Hope you have automated milking machines rather than a three legged stool.

The cows will come to you at milking time. They need to be milked to be comfortable, and they learn they get to eat while being milked. Nonetheless they have to be put out to pasture and watered and well fenced. They need quite a bit of vet service, which you learn to do yourself.

You have to immediately cool (refrigerate) the milk or you lose it.

You absolutely have to keep track of how much milk a cow gives. No sense feeding a cow that gives only half the milk the others do. It becomes 100% hamburger because the steaks and roasts aren't of the quality of a beef variety. Might be best to just sell the cow to someone who butchers.

You need a market for that milk or the milk products, and a refrigerated truck to deliver it. You need equipment to bottle it unless you are going to wholesale to someone with a refrigerated tanker. If you're going to make cheese and ice cream, you'll need a clean place with good refrigeration and washing equipment.

The list goes on. Marketing...

About powdered milk. Much of the milk sold in stores even in Western countries starts as powdered milk. Cows don't give milk year around so thid is the way to even out the supply. If you make your powedered milk and then refrigerate it for 24 hours, it will lose that chalky taste and taste like regular milk.

• Like 1

Farming Ideas?

The ultimate farming-idea would be to explain to a Thai-Farmer to plant a crop that is currently very low in price. And not like they all do, plant a crop that is high in price today.

Supply and demand is a concept hard to explain to a Thai. What is high in price, will be low again given a certain period of time (oversupply, because everybody including his uncle was planting it). And vice versa.

So, it's not really new "farming-ideas" that are needed, just the application of "anty-cyclical" planting behavior is required.

Upon suggesting such strange things, the Farang must be aware of the fact, that he will be declared insane by the family and the mother will lament: "Of all the Farangs, why did my daughter have to marry this one"smile.png

Cheers.

PS: Farming at temperatures of 35 degrees and humidity of 95 % is no fun at all. So, let the farming be done by others and declare yourself the "supervisor", staying in the shade and not moving too far away from the refrigerator. Beer Chang boss? Don't think twice, just say yes.

As mentioned, plenty milk farms about and the big one Chok Chai....but chok chai milk is not from chok chai farm, they sold the name some time ago to raise funds when they were in trouble. Now the farm is hugely successful in its own right as a tourist destination...although quite sad seeing thais on horses dressed in cowboy outfits chasing shitter cows about the paddocks.

So there is also plenty of cheese about these days also.

I had an idea for wagyu buffalo, massaged etc by a beautiful thai girl, but strong, never got around to it.

Also wanted to do the aussie yabby.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a crop worthy of noting.

Stevia ... stevia-plant.jpg

Stevia is an all natural sweetener that is a popular food ingredient , enjoyed in many countries throughout the world.

Quick facts about stevia
  • The Stevia Rebaudiana plant is part of the Chrysanthemum plant family .
  • It is native to South and Central America, but is now grown in more than 20 countries throughout the world.
  • The sweetness found in Stevia is attributed to steviol glycosides found in its leaves.
  • Stevia is called “Ka’a He’e” (“Sweet herb”) in Guarani, the indigenous language of Paraguay and parts of Brazil
  • Stevia is a natural sweetener which is 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar

Here

Also ... The Sweet Solution ...

• Like 1