Maple Flavor - where to buy?

qdinthailand

I've been to Yok on Super Hwy, and Rimping Mkt. (by Rimping Bridge).

Anyone know (not speculate) where I can find maple flavor?

Paying nearly $10 for a bottle of sugar water (a.k.a. Log Cabin brand pancake syrup) is stupid when its easy to make your own - if I could find maple flavor.

Why not go to Rimping and pay $10.00 for real maple syrup.

You get a lot more fake maple syrup for the money than real maple syrup and the taste is not that different, but making your own sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Actually, real Maple Syrup is more in the $15+ range.

Fake Maple Syrup - like Log Cabin brand - is again simply HFCS and water with artificial flavoring and coloring, to which the Thais have added an indecent amount of import duties.

I learned in 7th grade home economics class how to make pancake syrup.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of introducing my Thai wife and child to farang food. I now have to take them to The Dukes weekly for pizza or sandwiches, Miguels for Mexican, Butter is Better for chili dogs, and for breakfast, I bought a toaster and we now have to have toast with jam with the morning coffee, and I showed the wife how to make French Toast and Blueberry Pancakes.

When you add up the price of butter, blueberries and syrup, blueberry pancakes is a darn expensive breakfast!

I'm spending a small fortune on jam, syrup, butter, frozen blueberries!, pizza, beef nachos grande, peanut butter. I know, I should go back to eating strictly Thai food - much cheaper eating nothing but chicken and rice, pork and rice, noodles, rice and more rice like I did for a whole year, but I rather enjoy a decent pizza or taco every now and then.

Not spending $10 for fake maple syrup helps get me to The Dukes for a BBQ rib dinner more than once a year.

Brings to mind a piece I read a while back by a wine expert who was criticizing the "accepted" practice of making Rose wines by mixing red and white wines.

He said "it is totally possible to take alcohol, water, coloring and flavors and replicate the taste of any bottle of wine, so why not do it"?

• Like 1